RSL in the 2005 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Jun 13, 2005.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    It's going to be hot and sticky tonight. I just got back from a lil' morning bike ride. It's 7:20am, 75F but with a dew point of 67. I could feel it gettin' hotter / stickier during the ride. Or at least I wanted to believe it was that instead of me gettin' pooped out. :)

I'm nabbin' a few programs for folks tonight. Holla now if you're looking for any memorabilia.

2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard yesterday that RSL arrived last night at 9pm and will be practicing this morning at the Jimmy at 11am. prk166 is right about it being a hot one today, weather reports I've seen is temp in the upper 80's if not in the 90's later this afternoon.

Here is the only news report on the game:
    Thunder eager for MSL foe

Yup the paper got the league name wrong and surprisingly the article appears in the St. Paul paper which has given the team little to no coverage. While the Minneapolis paper; which has been good in covering the team, merely mentions the game in passing. I'll take the lack of coverage and the Milwaukee in MLS talk as a bad omen for the Thunder today.

peace & futbol
    good luck RSL fans

Ismitje repped this.
  3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    90's? Damn, that sounds good. It's going to be 104 in the Salt Lake Valley today....Hot as hell.

Go RSL Go!

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the blueskysoccer writers had a chance to interview DJ Countess on todays game.

DJ Countess: RSL GK

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoyed the "recipes for visiting RSL fans" on the blueskysoccer site that offer comfort to folks from elsewhere. If you're gonna go with Frog Eye Salad and Funeral Potatoes, you need what I think is the oddest contribution: anything in green jello. Fruit, sure, but other more interesting choices for in-the-jello stuff like corn and peas.

Wait, am I somehow trash talking against my own team? Is that why I lost two green blobbies on my rep suddenly?! :eek:

6. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis

Programs??

This year they've been one sheet dealies with rosteres and a camp schedule on the back. That's it. I wouldn't expect any more for tonight's game either.

7. imanust

imanust New Member

Feb 8, 2004
    prk166:

see ya in the parking lot at the Jimmy ... bring your own beer and 'drinks' bottle for transport of ale for duration of a half time, after which we retire to tailgate for refill for the second half ....

Peas and corn in green jello, now that's one that hasn't made the holidy table polls conducted over the years. Thought I had heard them all, but suspended corn and peas, oh my.

FAKE SALT LAKE
    (my birth place)

8. oussan

oussan Member

May 28, 2005
    SoJo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to weather.com, it's 109 here in Sandy right now, 102 in SLC, and 90 in St. Paul. Nice weather, complemented by a first RSL road win... should make for a great night!

9. uhclem

uhclem Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Spring Lake Park, MN
    SoccerPrime?...Tux311?...Aero?...slcboz?...NoodlesMacintosh?...Aosthed?...

Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?...

Anyone?...Anyone?...

Thanking you for your input :p ;), I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

10. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    great job on the win thunder.

still stunned by this and the chivas result.

man

stunned.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Thunder, good luck with the rest of the USOC.

RSL should STILL be ashamed of themselves. I am.

12. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Yeah, that didn't work out so well, huh?

Anyone who saw the game -- how did the goalie do? I ask because other than inserting Nolly for Countess, it looks like Ellinger played our regular defenders.

13. uhclem

uhclem Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Spring Lake Park, MN
    Hello.

Your keeper, Nolly, was definitely part of the problem. He wasn't horrible, but was unsure of himself, not always comitting himself with confidence when coming off the line. He did make some very good saves, but I think he cost you at least one goal and maybe half of another.

Qualifying the above by admitting that I have all the goalkeeping skills of Stephen Hawking on Nembutol, I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

14. HaggsTheRed

HaggsTheRed New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Mpls
    Your keeper did not play bad. It was your midfield and defense that was horrible. RSL was not able to string more than two passes together at any point in the game, and were unable or unwilling to pressure the man on the ball, thus giving to much time and space, to what appeared to be much quicker Thunder fowards and wingers. I'm sorry, but, RSL was lucky the scoreline was not worse.

Johnny M missed a wide open net off a cross when he was left completely unmarked on the back post. The PK was a soft award, especially when a return call was not awarded in the waining moments of the second half after Johnny was brought down.

Oh, and someone needs to teach Jamie Wattson how to stay on his feet; Soft winds were blowing that man over all night.

15. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    You mean no one touched him all night??? Amazing!!

16. HaggsTheRed

HaggsTheRed New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Mpls
    No there was contact, minimal as it was. However, Wattson was going down like a Tijuana hooker...

17. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Kudos to the Thunder. Well done - you should feel good about the win... to come back and tie it with a couple of minutes at the end of regulation and then to put in two goals in Extra Time - no better way to reward the home fans!

Hats off to you.

[looks over at the RSL boys and can't tell if it's tragedy or pathos...] :(

18. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

19. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I have no idea what that's like.

20. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    You poor deprived people in Utah! ;)

21. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Where in the stadium were you? The raffle table? MOst of the blue sky folks crying about that supposed no-call had THE WORST angle on that so-called PK on Paye in the 86th out of the whole stadium. HOw you can be so sure that it was a PK when you were 70 yards away with most all the field and players between you and the incident is beyond me. Then again, all those MN near-misses seem to go in the "how we could've really creamed ya" column while all the RSL near misses go in the "didn't happen cuz you were completely dominated" column.

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I'll make a paper brown bag for you tonight, too. I would've made mine last night but I was too busy complaing outloud to the dog. :)

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually he lives in Texas. Funny most RSL posters here don't even live in Utah.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, we get it, Thunder won. Good job winning.
    However, this is the RSL forum. If you want to ask peoply to eat poultry or gloat, I believe that you should go somewhere that ppl care, not where you would be violating BS trolling rules.

25. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano

I’m a lot closer to Tijuana than you. But then our women here in Texas don’t look like yours.

[​IMG]