RSL Game 7: WMC Game #1, RSL @ Colorado Rapids, April 15, 7:00 UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something else I liked on Lennon's goal: as the shot heads goalward, both Velazco and Yura are in behind the defense, onside, making very good following runs and being in good position to knock home a potential rebound.

2. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just listening to the post-game interview with Petke and it's like night and day compared to Cassar. Every time we lost a game under Jeff all you'd hear was "proud" this and "pleased" that. Here we win a game and Petke is saying "we didn't play well" and "we need to clean some things up". This pleases me.

3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would almost break the RSL record for goals in a season. Wow!

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Petke should say given how RSL played this game. "Proud" and "pleased" are two words that should be reserved for when RSL wins the MLS Cup.

5. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is almost exactly what I said to the friends we watched the game with. He's no longer Dadbod--he's "One Chance" Yura.

6. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, I got RSL's score and Lennon's first score right. Too bad the coaches didn't do their part, despite Mestrowanki losing his mind at points. Nice ending to the game. cRapids should remember that RSL set the standard over the last couple years for falling asleep on leads - no need to copy them.

15 to 32 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a smash and grab. It wasn't pretty, but it's always nice to somehow walk away with three points. While we didn't play well, getting two wins in a row should help with morale. Now we just need to get some players healthy, and get to playing quality soccer.

PumaJohnny repped this.
  8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    This was better than Cassar, but still not very good. We are a middling WC team that is on the cusp of making the playoffs, but definitely not winning MLS cup.

At this point, ********** it. Truly make this a rebuild year and don't play anyone over 30. :coffee:

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a result of Petke laying down the law. Plata started to throw a bit of a fit after being subbed out during the Winterfest last week, Petke stared him down, but Plata still went to the showers instead of joining his team for the rest of the game. The cameras didn't show this and I noticed it because of where my seats are. Barring any injury, I wonder if this was a punishment situation.

10. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Oooh oooh - RSL is a World Cup team! Do they get to play against Schweinsteiger in the WC playoffs?

15 to 32, jessyca, El-ahrairah and 2 others repped this.
  11. gretnapie

gretnapie Member

Jun 23, 2008
    nr gretna
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To mis-quote Rudyard Kipling

If you can play like a team of strangers
    Be inept, unentertaining and generally sterile
    And still come away with three points
    Then you will possibly win the league
    And - what is more - you will be a lucky B******d, my son

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's cool that Kipling wrote verse about RSL. Surely this is potential tag line material.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. To the dozens of RSL fans that made the trip: thank you. Not our best away showing, by any means, but there were good portions where I could hear y'all singing. Well done.
    2. We may have had to live through the difficult times of Jeff Cassar, but thank god we don't have Pablo ******** face Mastoreni. That dude is a ********ing hack. The dude cares more about how he dresses than how his team plays "soccer" (if you could even call it that). Last year he got lightning in a bottle with Jones there to make his shit show defending first style into something that got points. This year he is getting exposed for what he truly is - inept at figuring out the game past midfield.
    3. If the "rumors" with Plata are true, then let his ass go. We have enough talented youthful depth on the wing that we don't need his (rumored) bullshit attitude on the pitch.
    4. I'm really curious to see what Petke does about the midfield of this team. For all but the few minutes where we had a man advantage, our midfield was essentially two players playing like chickens with their heads cut off. No connection. No purpose. If the cRapids had any smarts to them, they would have settled the ball and gone through the gaping hole that was the middle of our formation. This has to change. Better teams will destroy that.
    5. Thank god Howard was suspended. I think, if he guesses right, he saves the pk and probably gets at least a finger to Lennon's shot. Maybe not, but McMath always leaves a lot to be desired.
    6. We were definitely missing the youthful Javi that would drop deep into the midfield in a game like this to dictate. I saw glimpses of it from Rusnak, but far from what was fully needed.
    7. The cRapids goal was the byproduct of our apparent desire to lose possession as quickly as possible. Acosta launches a ball forward, past the headless chickens, in an attempt to "quickly get the ball into the attack". Problem is, the cRapids were setup to counter this really well. They punished Acosta with a through ball that he would typically be in position to pick off, but wasn't because of his previous header.
    8. Also, ******** Wingert at CB. Sure, Schuler got beat badly and deserves a ton of blame, but what in the ******** is Wingert doing? Is the top of the 6 going to score on us?
    9. @SALTLAKEJAKE shot back at me on twitter for giving Yura grief over the "one chance" thing. No, I don't expect Yura to always finish his chances. That's absurd. And even if it was hyperbolic, it was bulletin board stuff for a defender. The bigger problem I have with yura is how much his style doesn't match the three young player behind him. Him shanking his first chance, consistently, is just a bit ironic.
    10. To that point, in two games under Petke, despite him saying they wanted to use Yura's feet more and get him support, we still are seeing balls being whipped into him like a target 9. Something has to give there. Please tell me something is going to change...
    11. ******** Pablow
    12. What a moronic foul by the cRapids to setup the pk. Velazco was going to dribble out of bounds and the dude chops him down. Then the triple whammy red card - sheesh. I almost (key word here) felt bad for the cRapids. Almost
    13. Gotta love that the best soccer in that game was played while the cRapids were down a man and RSL decided "hey we could actually do something good here" in the last 5 minutes. Again, a better team, in those same circumstances, finishes the chance(s) we gave up late. Take what you can get, though.
    14. To me, this game was a slightly condensed version of our game against LA earlier this year. The better team takes a lead but then commits a moronic infraction to go down a man and the other team finds the holes to punish it.
    15. Brooks Lennon is our best player right now and it's not even close.

rslfanboy, DrownedElf, RSLer and 7 others repped this.
  14. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Good stuff 15...

All, don't underestimate how incredibly difficult it is to break down a team that really, really knows how to pack it in. Pablo has then playing as organized defensively as I've seen ANY team in MLS history. Others have managed great defensive seasons with keepers standing on their heads or center backs dominating, but, systematically, that was something else to watch. It would have made Gansler's KC teams jealous.

On the other side of the coin, I'm sorry Crapids' fans, that is absolute shite to watch.

i don't blame RSL at this point under Cassar for not really having a clue how to break down that D. At the end of the day it took 2 nice individual plays, a completely brainfart, and a little fortune to come out with the win. The Crapids will be playing on a knife's edge all season. Without anything resembling an offense, they will struggle to win, but be in every single game.

I love that Lennon was about to be moved to the other side of the pitch and told Coach, "I've got him!" He certainly did.

I will say, it has been at least 2 years since I had an RSL related "jump off the couch" moment like Lennon's goal. (Howard doesn't get that shot either...from the keeper's perspective, it looks like the defender has the near post shot covered...he didn't...and that ball was absolutely TAGGED!)

TheBiff, DrownedElf, RSLer and 5 others repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was holding my son on the couch when Lennon took the shot
    When it hit the back of the the net I was no longer holding him

Good parenting moment. He laughed at it, luckily

RSLer repped this.
  16. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    How far did you launch him?

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke did say he was proud of the team in his post-game commentary.

rslfanboy, DrownedElf, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they scored twice in a matter of minutes to turn the game on it's head. I think this is a time that word actually makes sense, if context is given.

Petke also said they played like crap. So, that's a double plus.

If you wanna laugh - go look at what Pablo had to say after the game. Jesus

19. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    90% of this game was ugly, IMO. I know we're missing some key players with injuries and with a new coach, I can let it slide somewhat. I didn't feel like RSL gave up at all, though. There was an aggressiveness that I haven't seen in a while and I liked it. Yura seems to be playing with purpose and Lennon's goal was stellar. I was happy to see an RSL player take a shot from more than 8 yards out.

CB continues to be a problem and maybe RSL can move Plata for a serviceable CB. I have a crazy idea of moving Beckerman to CB for two reasons. 1. He has a good defensive presence and 2. It could extend his career.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  20. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Haha, that really was pretty funny from Pablo. I think Cassar gave better intierviews than that.

21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /Cockney, English accent mode on/

'E did what? Said 'e was proud of 'is players? Bloody 'ell!! What''s 'e goin' to do next? Give 'em bloody colorin' books and Play-do? Cake 'n' ice cream for lunch? Biscuits 'n' chockies for tea? Bloody 'ell! The bloody pansy!

/Cockney, English accent mode off/

stucknutah and elkaholic repped this.
  22. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other people's responses to you and I have an actual discussion made me chuckle.

15 to 32 repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updated RMC stats, no major changes

Records

Overall (W-D-L) Real lead 16-10-12, 45 GF, 36 GA

Games in Colorado Rapids lead, 9-5-5, 24 GF, 18 GA

Games in Utah Real lead 11-5-3, 27 GF, 12 GA

Margin of Victory, Real 4 Real 5 : 1 Rapids, 2014-09-19

Margin of Victory, Rapids 2 Rapids 2 : 0 Real, 4 times; Rapids 3 : 1 Real 2015-07-11

Scoring, Career

Total Goals, combined 6 Saborio

Goals, Real 6 Saborio

Goals, Rapids 3 Casey, Cummings

Assists, combined 4 Morales

Assists, Real 4 Morales

Assists, Rapids 3 Cooke

Scoring, Single Season

Goals, Real 3 Cunningham (2006), Morales (2014)

Goals, Rapids 2 Ben Dayan (2005), Hernandez (2006), D.Brown (2013)

Penalty Kicks

2006 Game 1 Cunningham

2006 Game 3 Cunningham

2008 Game 1 C. Gomez

2010 Game 2 Saborio

2013 Game 3 Saborio

2014 Game 1 Morales

2017 Game 1 Movsisyan

Goalkeeping

GAA, Rapids 0.86 Coundoul (Minimum 3 apps)

GAA, Real 0.74 Rimando (Minimum 3 apps)

Shutouts, Rapids 3 Cannon, Pickens

Shutouts, Real 9 Rimando

Shutout minutes, consecutive, Real 331 2007 Game 2 through 2008 Game 1

Shutout minutes, consecutive, Rapids 438 2010 Game 2 through 2012 Game 3

Appearances

Appearances, combined 32 Beckerman (10 Rapids, 21 Real)

Appearances, Rapids 14 Cooke, Cummings, Mastroeni, Moor

Appearances, Real 24 Rimando

Starts, combined 31 Beckerman (10 Rapids, 21 Real)

Starts, Rapids 14 Mastroeni, Moor

Starts, Real 25 Rimando

Minutes, combined 2795 Beckerman (871 Rapids, 1924 Real)

Minutes, Rapids 1260 Moor

Minutes, Real 2195 Rimando

Appearing in RMC for both teams Ballouchy, Beckerman, Borchers, Cunningham, Harris, Kotschau, Mathis, Wingert

RMC Titles Won 10 Beckerman

RMC Titles Lost 6 Casey, Cummings, Mastroeni

Discipline

Ejections, Rapids 1 Denton, Watts

Ejections, Real 1 Russell, Olave, Harris, Sequera, Jaime, Maund, Cassar (HC)

Cautions, total 9 Beckerman (3 Rapids, 6 Real)

Cautions, Rapids 4 Burling, Freeman

Cautions, Real 6 Beckerman

Most cards, single game, combined 10 August 8, 2006 (6 Rapids, 4 Real; 8 yellow, 2 red)

Most cards, single game, Rapids 6 August 8, 2006 (5 yellow, 1 red)

Most cards, single game, Real 4 5 times (4 times 3 yellow 1 red, 1 time 4 yellow)

Most consecutive games with a card, Rapids 4 Burling

Most consecutive games with a card, Real 3 Espindola

rslfanboy, Ivensor, DrownedElf and 4 others repped this.
  24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very solid, again! I always look forward to your post-game analysis. Pablo's tactics lost the game as far as I'm concerned. I don't care how good you are defensively, if you allow your opponent to constantky attack your box bad things are eventually going to happen. Regarding the midfield, Luke just wasn't athletic enough to compete against Colorado. He lost every contested header and free ball, and couldn't keep up when marking. Up front Boffo almost scored on a surprising, and nifty shot. It just skimmed the outside of the post. It was one of the better RSL shots this season even if it wasn't on-frame.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @JasonMa .... That one had to hurt. What do you think about Colorado's tactics after going up 1-0?