RSL Game 7: WMC Game #1, RSL @ Colorado Rapids, April 15, 7:00 UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Apr 9, 2017.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be kind of early to create next games PBP thread, but...........too bad. Game #2 of the Petke era. RSL goes to Colorado for Game #1 of the Wasatch Mountain Cup. We own the WMC and Colorado has the temerity to think they can take it from us. I don't think so.

Ok, enough of the wannabe trash talk. I watched the SKC-Rapids game on the TV, not because I really wanted to watch SKC play the Rapids, but because I'm sitting in the middle of BF nowhere in Kansas and it's boring. When Dorothy got transported from here to the Land of Oz, it was probably the highlight of her life. Anyway, SKC won 3-1. It would have been 3-0 if not for a stoppage time penalty kick awarded to Colorado and it looks like Colorado has the same problem as last year, they can't score goals. So given that Colorado can't score goals and RSL is currently scoring goals, I predict a 3-3 goal fest. Goals by Yura and Lennon and Howard (an own goal off a deflection from his beard).

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry guys I've been AWOL recently, a lot of life changes going on.

Anyways, yeah this game could be a big statement (bigger than a hobbled VW). Or it could just be a blip. I'm hoping the positive vibes a new Petke inspired roster has created keep rolling.

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    No apology necessary.

All is forgiven.

Hope you and yours are well.:thumbsup:

pate and El-ahrairah repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, Mr Petke, show us what you've got in test two! I'm curious to see how he handles potential players returning from injury. Does Beltran jump Acosta despite the great performance? Does Phillips get bumped from LB? If Sunny is healthy, does Luke still take his spot? etc etc

I expect this:

Yura
    Plata Rusnak Lennon
    Luke KB
    Phillips Schuler ??? Acosta
    Nicky

5. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both clubs have been struggling, so this one should be interesting. I think you can write off the Vancouver game to exhaustion on their part. This one, not so much.

Even so, RSL 3 - 1 cRapids. Goals by Plata, Rusnák and own-goal by Howard. cRapids' goal comes on a PK in extra time after Kyle gets tossed for a foul in the penalty area.

6. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Colorado looked bad last week after trading away a couple of defensive minded starters from thier team. They can give up goals and struggle to score them.

Can we create chances like we did in the first half last week? If so, and if we can actually finish them... Big IF there. Then I think we stand a good chance.

As bad as our finishing has been, we've done well defensively this season with an injured back line. That has been interesting honestly.

The biggest take away from last weeks game for me was that this team had some fight in them. They weren't as flat and didn't retreat to our own defensive 3rd all game long. They moved and acted aggressively and determined. If that mindset continues, I think this team can really take a step forward.

RSL 2-1 in this one.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... We've done well defensively?
    • TFC - we somehow were let off the hook.
    • Chicago - we gave up two really bad goals and then never really had to weather an attack because Chicago was content
    • LA - we looked out of sorts with pressure applied to the backline
    • NY - we repeated our TFC performance of somehow getting off the hook
    • Minnesota - we were finally made to pay
    • Vancouver - we had the 12th man named weather and fatigue come to the rescue.

I'm not calling this team a good defensive team just yet. I still think there are glaring issues in the back, especially in the middle, even when players are healthy. Go on the road and actually shut down an opposing teams offense for a few weeks, and I'll be more on board to our defensive struggles being behind us.

RSLer repped this.
  8. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Under the circumstances of current talent we have and injuries indured, I'd have a hard time expecting better than what we've had. And luck or not, we've had 3 clean sheets already this year, which is surprising.

I didn't say we were good. I said we have done well, which I think is fair as we're tied for 5th in GA/Game in the Western Conference.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  9. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I guess to explain. For me, well is more or less average. Good is above average. I don't think we're good. And we might not have the players to be good even when healthy.

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's kind of funny, I keep seeing these comments about how much great defensive depth we have and how great our defense has been up to this point and I'm sitting here all like..."wait....what?" Having to use a half dozen different CB's because NONE of our CB's can stay healthy is NOT depth, it just means you've done a shit job bringing CB's in and you can't keep them healthy. CB is a position where we should be doing every single ********ing thing we can to play 2 guys for 90% of the season, we shouldn't be all happy and proud that we've managed to rotate half the roster through the CB position.

Do I concede we've managed to hold on defensively given those circumstances? Sure. Do I think we've been a good (or even mediocre) defensive team? No. If you have watched the games you would realize this, pretty much every single team we've played has had several good looks in front of goal, we should have been down multiple goals to TFC by half time, we should have given up 3-4 goals against NY, and Chicago completely sat back after we gave them their goals. Minn and LA punished the shit out of us and Vancouver was playing in the snowbowl on 3 days rest while missing half their roster. Fans can't treat our defense the opposite of how they've treated the offense, we can't sit here and say "well, it's only a matter of time before our offense starts clicking and puts away all those opportunities" while at the same time ignoring the ridiculous amount of chances our defense has given up, but teams have failed to capitalize on, and claim we're a good defensive team.

If there was a chance that Waibel could sign a DP level CB who could play 90% of the remaining games I would hope to hell he would do his damn job and get rid of Schuler, Horst, and Maund in order to acquire that CB if it required doing so. There is absolutely no reason to keep those 3 on the roster if we can bring in a DP level CB, I'd for sure get rid of Horst and one of Schuler or Maund (keeping the other for backup duty). In an ideal world we're starting a high quality CB alongside Glad for the vast majority of games with either Schuler or Maund as a backup and Schmidt as the long-term groomer.

RSLer, DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injuries are tying the (already incompetent) hands of Waibel at the CB position, though. Horst is out apparently a long time. If I was a fan of another team I'd be livid if my GM picked up Schuler. And Maund is an average defender that gets praised for making tackles he should or making a recovery tackle after being out of position.

Chris Wingert is our starting CB right now. Nothing is "well" about that.

I also have to make my anger known, again, about the Glad injury. He picked that up in a completely meaningless game. CONCACAF didn't need a championship game with 4 teams going through. What a load of shit

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've been lucky so far on defense for sure. If those games were later in the season, we probably get punished when those players are in form.

We'll have to see how our high line plays out. If we can get our offense clicking and keep teams pushed back, that should in theory keep some pressure off of our defense. The downside is we could get hit by long balls over the top, which could be problematic against a team with fast forwards.

13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really am wishing for three points but I have a gut feeling we are going to crash in this one.

14. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wingert has been training next to Schu at CB.

rslfanboy repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I hate what you're saying, but I appreciate the truth. :thumbsdown:

16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Schmidt was who we would go with for CB until somebody else better came along.

17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Although he may have showed well, comparatively, in a couple of games, I don't think he's ready to be a regular starter AT ALL. And I would guess that a lot of the criticisms 15to32 was saying about him before those performances have real merit.

Allez RSL repped this.
  18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, given that there wasn't as much hate and discontent thrown his way on the boards lead me to believe that he was going to be this year's answer to Justin Glad. I still think he's a better option at CB than Wingert.

15 to 32 repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hold the ******** up
    I was right on something?

Taragui repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's a better option at CB, too. Largely because the ceiling for Schmidt is something not in the rear-view mirror like it is for Wingert. Giving Wingert these minutes is troublesome on so many levels. Play the kids, man. Build a team with eyes further than next week.

I'm still shocked and upset we signed Wingert to another contract and are, once again, giving him minutes over someone younger. All the "he'll just be there for emergency depth and to mentor the young players" shit was just that - shit

TheBiff, Ismitje, DrownedElf and 3 others repped this.
  21. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This. Wash, rinse, repeat.

From what I can gather they are limiting Schmidt at this point/he's not out performing Chris at training. I spoke with Schmidt shortly at training this week and he seems like a great kid with a solid head on his shoulders about the situation. Knows he has to win the position, etc. Not sure what it will take to shake something loose to get him more time, but I hope it comes quickly.

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    If Schmidt was playing with a more experienced leader in back who has been playing consistent 1st team minutes, I wouldn't have a problem. That would be either Maund or Glad. I see real problems with him linking with the rest of our defense (or lack of awareness of this team's organizational demands), despite his own individual ability. If Wingert continues to see minutes as CB for more than a couple games until someone can get healthy, then I'll be upset. But throwing Schmidt into a cluster******** defense isn't going to help him develop a whole lot.

And yeah, no more Phillips please. Acosta forever! :inlove:

Ismitje repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schuler is arguably the best leader we have on defense, so that doesn't line up.

I'm really curious to see how the Acosta situation is handled. He played well at RB and Phillips wasn't terrible (also not good) at LB. Does Beltran jump him and Acosta slide over? I'd personally rather take the risk reward with Phillips then have the offensive abilities of Tony Beltran on one wing

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports indicate that Beltran won't be travelling for this one, so expect Acosta at RB again.
    Also, wtf did Beltran do to his back last season that won't go away?

25. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to predict a tie for this one. Either a 0-0 snoozefest or a 3-3 goalfest. I wish I could make it to Colorado this time, but I decided that it wouldn't be cool of me to miss Easter with my kids.