RSL Fan Experience

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by CrazyJ628, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Was at the game Saturday (only fourth one this year) and actually laughed out loud when the announcer mentioned to get on the "wait list" for 2020 season tickets. Sad part is, I wasn't the only one laughing.

RSLer repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I laughed too. I don't think anyone in the know would think that is actually required. This isn't Utah football, we have plenty of open seats.

3. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I know this is a repeated rant, but you got to play the hits.
    RSL is an MLS 1.0 team in may respects (I hate that cliche but it's true). We play in a stadium in the suburbs, our key fan base is made up of suburban families, the team has a stupid name that wreaks of "old" MLS, everything about the team is...meh.

Look, I'm glad we have RSL and I'm a big fan. When I moved to Utah, RSL was the first thing about the city/state that I latched on to and the club really means a lot to me, but honestly there isn't much in terms of "experience" when it comes to the game.

I'm not a Sounders fan by any stretch, but earlier this year I went to see their opener against FC Cincinnati. Before the match I was able to meet up with some FCC fans at a restaurant a couple blocks from the stadium and afterward I hung out a bar that was filled with FCC and Sounders fans. Seattle has a "fan friendly" pricing so it was $5 for a craft beer and $2 for a hot dog. Everyone was in to the game and ECS got all 40,000 people involved in chants. It was great.

I know we'll be waiting 20+ years on the development around Rio Tinto but RSL could do a lot for itself by trying to appeal to more Millenials (we're closer to 40 than 20, y'all). RSL could also do itself a lot of favors by doing promotions like $1 hot dog night or some more fan friendly prices for concessions.

As for the atmosphere, I'll never come down from my "put all supporters in one section" hill. I've actually given this some thought and I've changed by view on exactly what should be done but here it is.

• Continue the canopy around the North end of the stadium and add an upper deck on the North end.
    • Remove the seating behind the North goal and add safe standing. This will also allow for bigger concourses since the standing sections are steep.
    • Move all supporters to the North standing section. If they can't all get along, fine. No more Sec. 35 taking up good seats and just standing there.
    • Tear down the south end seats and add seats with a bar/club area under the video board.
    Not RSL related but here's a couple more suggestions:
    • Add a stoplight and crosswalk at the corner where Meagaplex is (9270 S). It would be easier to cross there rather than walking another 500 ft down State Street.
    • Have bunch of food trucks and beer on Stadium Way or somewhere around the stadium. The Plaza in front of the stadium is too crowded and there aren't a lot of options for fans. Maybe the Larry H Miller company could put this in Jordan Commons...lol.
    In an alternate universe we have a stadium in downtown SLC but hopefully we can make the most of the RioT.

Lizzie Bee and goobx1 repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paywall coming (The Athletic) at you here.

Houston's management is going to push for an LAFC/3252-esque atmosphere starting with next season. And one of the necessary things to do for that is to clear out many of the people who have been their staunchest supporters. Houston gives a "Fan of the Year" Award of some sort, and several of them are essentially in the way of the planned remodel needed to create an all-standing supporters' section.

"The crux is that, in the hopes of cultivating their own fan culture, and of one day cranking up the volume at BBVA Stadium, they’ve decided to expand the supporters’ section and move it closer to the field — displacing many of the longest-serving season-ticket holders mentioned above. These fans contend that they weren’t consulted beforehand, that the relocation process has not gone smoothly and that they have generally felt disregarded by the whole process. But more than anything else, they do not understand the necessity of expanding a section that is only half full on even the best match days."

There's lots about the Dynamo and issues related to creating a new sort of atmosphere along the the lines of what is being discussed above. We do at least have a section for supporters, and it might be transformed differently that what Houston is struggling with.

Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Every change will come with costs and upset fans, but Houston's move seems unnecessary. They couldn't even talk to these people ahead of time and feel them out? Offer a discount for relocation for a few years?

6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I would like to see RSL follow this same path for the supporters section only with a lot more diplomacy.

The supporter* section at the RioT definitely needs to be addressed.

*term used loosely, very loosely

7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They are waiting for the supporters to work it out. I've got 2 kids. Time for somebody else to give it a shot.

Personally, I agree with this approach. It is all messed up, but RSL really only owes them the dedication of a place and some help to coordinate efforts and offer ways they can help the SGs to achieve their goals. After over a decade of being intimately involved in this, I really feel that it is not the fault of RSLFO at all, except for the current lack of identity, for the disarray in the South End and SGs in general. Yeah, they propped up La Barra and the drums initially. But it's up to the SGs to fix this.

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  8. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks to Ismitje, and a couple of others on here, I sprang for a subscription to the Athletic. The snippet that Ismitje posted is only a piece of what the supporters are upset about, although seems like that's the largest issue. Sounds like the new management there shows an overall disregard for the feelings of the supporters.

The fact that it sounds like the genesis for this project was that they sent some of management to an LAFC game, and they game back with this as a solution feels more than a little bit misguided. There may be more to it than was referenced in the article, but when I read that I physically winced.

9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I’m admittedly not intimately involved with the issue other than I’ve been attending games since the beginning and have had season tickets since 2008. So I have been witness to what happens at games and the definite lack of or reduced atmosphere at the games over the last decade.

To think that the SG’s are going to figure this out is the definition of insanity.

The FO may not be at fault but at some point the “adults” need to step up and put their foot down and get the “kids” to behave.

Bite the bullet. Fix the problem.

USAHammerFan, Lizzie Bee and RSLer repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think an FO can (should?) do several things vis-a-vis supporters groups:

* Designate an area for supporters, near the field. Usually this means behind the goal because you don't want to surrender the big money areas at midfield.

* Acknowledge you're relying on those people to help set the atmosphere by setting a price point that is cheaper than the same seats at the other end of the section.

* Clarify policy on signs, flags, smoke, tifo etc. and work with SGs to make it all work.

* Make it clear to non-supporters that said section is loud, standing (if it is), and a place where your seat purchased is not specifically guaranteed.

* Convene - meaning provide space, food, and maybe swag, plus mediate/moderate discussion - Supporters' Summit(s).

* Moderate in-stadium "noise generation" like the playing of certain anthems to better facilitate chants and cheering from the SGs.

Beyond this (and probably a few other things along the same lines), I think it's on the groups themselves to figure it out. Otherwise it's a corporate thing and not a grassroots thing.

Allez RSL and rslfanboy repped this.
  11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I get all that but at some point if the grassroots thing isn't really working, like for the last 6 or 7 years then maybe a corporate overhaul is warranted. If only to increase the grassroots possibilities.

The FO can do a lot without becoming overbearing or heavy handed.

Like how the stadium is configured. Updating the amenities in such a way that helps to "fertilize" the grassroots efforts like creating a standing section and other thoughts suggested here.

Currently the weeds are more apparent than the grass.

I get not wanting to have the games feel like their coordinated and saccharinely sweet but what we have now is just, well, embarrassing.

acima repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I was very unimpressed with the "Hey! Howard. We all *********ed your Grandma!" going on once the drums died down last game in the 2nd half.

13. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Seriously? That chant came back?

Sad.

I sat over there during the USOC final. Once was enough.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the SGs acknowledge there is a problem?

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    unless I'm mistaken, don't most (if not all) of these things currently exist with RSL?
    We're over complicating this - the issue RSL has is a numbers game. We have too many GROUPS. With how many "members" each group has, we could have a hell of a supporters section - but none of those groups wants to surrender to the other and work together.

It's comical to watch LBR and the Salt City (or whatever the hell they call themselves) guys in the lower half of the south end chant against each other. It just makes dumb noise. That one group hasn't taken over the other is proof of just how childish these groups are. They'd rather sit there in a chaotic noise environment - where they can't even hear their own chants clearly - instead of just working together from whistle to whistle.

Oh, and this is all without bringing up the complete lack of creativity all of the groups have in terms of chants/songs. I've been to U15 girls games with more creative/individual songs/chants.

Lizzie Bee, acima, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I agree, this is what the FO is doing. Hence, I agree with @rslfanboy that it is on the SGs to figure the rest out. And if they won't, then the FO can use the same tools to encourage change - but they shouldn't be in the overt organizing business themselves IMO.

15 to 32 repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FO has a hard enough time running RSL and The RioT. They aren’t going to get involved unless there are other factors to facilitate something- - -for example a major renovation of the South stands would provide an opportunity to do something.

goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  18. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think if they built a new safe-standing area in the South stand and made it more appealing to fans in their 20s and 30s (dedicated bar, etc) then they'd see more fans choose to watch games from the South end. I honestly prefer standing. When I come to games, I usually park at one of the tables behind the North end for the entire game regardless of where I am supposed to sit.

RSLer repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Utah liquor laws likely prevent anything like what San Jose has from happening, but they should make it more of a standing area just to appeal to fans that way. It would also divert your stereotypical cheap seats family from the section.

goobx1 and RSLer repped this.
  20. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You might be right but this might be a case where Utah's theocratic nanny state might work in our favor. Have the south end become a 21 and over only section. I'd pay a premium to be away from families.

goobx1 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious if they would have to do a "zions ceiling" type nonsense because the kids in section 13 could see *gasp* ALCOHOL!!!

CrazyJ628 repped this.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we could do this:

trackrunner repped this.
  23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, maybe not.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer, Lizzie Bee and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  25. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “We came together around that idea that in order to create a significant home-field advantage and amplify our impact as supporters, we must work collaboratively across our existing groups.”

What a radical concept !

RSLer, Lizzie Bee, acima and 3 others repped this.