RSL Fan Experience

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by CrazyJ628, Sep 16, 2015.

1. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like the people that complain about gifts per seat versus gifts per account just don't understand how budgets work. If you want one gift per seat then you're just dividing up how much can be spent per gift (hello coaster!). The best STH gift they've ever done was the canvas print of the RioT from the game that must not be named. Was anyone complaining that that gift was 1 per account? Hell no, because that gift was awesome. If they did one gift per seat instead then a huge canvas print becomes a 3x5 vinyl print from Kinkos. What the gift is should be the debate, not how many you get per account. Canvas photos and quality scarves? Yes! Coasters and stickers? GTFO.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious this year, given they are doing away with printed tickets (unless you wanna pay extra for the cost) if that will change the quality of gift.

Oh, and I'd say the actual best gift was the glass with the lion logo. While the Canvas is cool, it's just something you hang once and occasionally look at. I use that glass all the damn time.

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Trinkets.

4. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the glass was also one of the good ones. I love my picture though, it's my autograph receiver. When I'm not taking it to the meet the team and similar events, it hangs in my office.

5. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah the canvas print was cool and looks really nice hanging in my brother's apartment...

6. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree with your yawns, and I think that's the problem. Unless you're attached to your seat there really aren't many benefits of having season tickets.

7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see some of the merit in some of it.
    1. I think they should've worded the price lock differently, because I can see why people would think you're getting the tickets + a 3 year lock. Having the first year 'locked' is silly since you've already paid for that year.
    2. When you're trying to sell someone on season tickets, it's usually the perks that help lock them into shelling out for the whole year. Telling those people, sorry, not everyone gets a gift, is kind of a dick move, IMO. It seems silly that you're better off splitting them off into individual accounts.
    3. While I haven't been to a meet the team event in a few years now, they really need to do something to change it up. The last one I went to must've been when there were less STH's, because I was able to get all signatures except Olave who left early. (I believe he was injured at the time) The best thing for the fans would be to do 4 events, and have the STH from each quadrant go on their own day. I'm guessing this wouldn't happen due to needing to have it 4x times, but it would help give people the opportunity to get more than a couple of signatures. If anything, this may be something they will have to scrap entirely later on.
    4. My rep has been good the few times I've had to talk to him. Usually get him on the first try, almost always on the second.
    5. It's been awhile since I've done this, but it was a smooth process at the time.

While I understand you're essentially in it for the ticket (and all the free straws), I'd say there's more people who are in it for the whole package. I know I am. While I do like where I sit, I'd have no problems buying tickets for single games and sitting wherever. Aside from being right behind the net, most of the seats have a pretty solid view of the field. Since we're not really getting a discount for buying a season's worth of tickets, it's those extra perks that help sell it to myself and others.

I did laugh at the 'Leo the Lion' response, especially to number one. Saying that they got rid of the price lock because people weren't using it is a lie. They got rid of it because it ensures that people are paying the most for the tickets, instead of being locked into a lower rate for those few years.

Ismitje repped this.
  8. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I got an emailed survey asking why I did not renew our seats. It had a "rate from 1-5 the importance of" and there were things like "match day experience", "customer service", "value" etc. Last one was "Head Coach"...

Kind of a weird thing to ask. Yes, fans will moan about the coach, but wouldn't "style of play" or "results" be a better phrasing? The question (specifically inclusion of HC as an option) makes it sound like management has no clue as to how to run the team.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. That's definitely something you don't put on a survey. If they do that they should add things like "failure to bring in talent" and related questions. Or they could have "The team isn't fun to watch", and then have sub-questions whic would allow the responder to drill down if the answer is 4 or 5. All in All that would be pretty asinine since most fans have no clue how to analyze the root causes of team success or lack thereof.

10. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I got that email but I didn't open it yet. That's a stupid question to put in a survey.

IMO, the overall RSL experience is pretty good. A lot of the things that I would change is totally out of the team's realm of responsibility. Things like better/cheaper beer is partly a Utah thing. The only thing I'd change is moving the 'supporters section' of Sec. 35 to the end. It would be different if they did anything other than just stand there but....

11. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Beer isn't cheap at any sporting event, which is why I rarely get any at games. There are definitely better beer varieties available, but at least they've got Uinta at the RioT.

12. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Oh. True. I went to a D-backs game last year and a Bud Light was 9.50. I know they've stepped up the beer selection, but I'd love to get some real (not 3.5%) beer at a game. Or at a store. Cold. Like and adult.

13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no opinion on this until they start serving vodka or rum. Then the games will be fun.

14. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ah the rest of the civilized world, where I can go to a bar in a sports venue. Places I've ordered a cocktail while watching a sport:
    • Great American Ballpark
    • Safeco Field
    • Chase Field
    • Keeneland race course
    • Paul Brown Stadium
    • The University of Cincinnati (surprising, I know)
    • Petco Park
    • Mapfre Stadium
    Not on that list. Utah, where adulthood is against the law. Sorry. I just saw the Trib article on how dropping Zion's Curtain might also lead to even higher prices on alcoholic beverages so I'm a little fired up. If God smiles on me, I'll be moving out of this state this summer so it might be a moot point.

GoRSL repped this.
  15. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I have yet to find a human being with more disdain toward Utah than you.

16. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Do you know a large number of transplants? :)

Seriously, there are things I like. I have a good job, we have a MLS team and I love the outdoors so that part is nice. The things I don't like pile up, though. It's really, really hard to make friends here. There isn't a community feel to the city.

I live in Murray, which is little more than a collection of houses and a shopping mall. There's not really a local bar or at least one I'd want to go to. And in my particular neighborhood the random "hello" from my neighbors stopped when they found out I wasn't at all interested in going to their church.

When I lived in Atlanta or Cincinnati, there was a festival somewhere in town every weekend during the spring/summer. We don't have that and when we do, it's such a poorly-planned dumpster fire that it's not worth going to. Prime example was the Food Truck festival in Liberty Park last year. Even Oktoberfest is getting worse.

In my previous job, I worked with quite a few transplants. Of the 10 or so of us, three have moved to the PNW, one has gone back to Texas, one to Ohio, one to CA. Trust me, if you didn't grow up here, it's not an easy place to live. And I've moved around a lot, from small towns in Kentucky to the aforementioned cities.

17. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I know a number of transplants. Some like it, some don't. Which is how it is for everyone everywhere. For example, I'll never in my life understand the appeal of LA.

That being said if you can let me know what you're doing to get your neighbors to stop saying "hello" to you it would be much appreciated. Telling them I'm not interested in church doesn't seem to be working.

Boz and 15 to 32 repped this.
  18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    It's crazy no matter how many times I've gone OT about how wrong-headed this statement is, it ALWAYS pops up in every beer discussion. Should I just relent? I feel kinda responsible to play a part in changing this attitude, but whack-a-mole gets tired after a decade.

jessyca, 15 to 32 and The Franchise repped this.
  19. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a handy link for next time. :)

rslfanboy repped this.
  20. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The City Weekly even ran an article about it. Figure those so adamant about how crappy it is in Utah may have read that and given it more consideration.

21. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Thank you.:thumbsup:

It isn't just the alcohol concentration. If beer is only good or "real" if it has X% of alcohol by ABV or ABW, where the **** do you draw that line? 4.5%? 5%? If Utah raises the draft and grocery store limit to 5%, is that the new "fake beer" designation? The most popular beer in the world is 4.2% ABV: Bud Light. So, after 21 4% Bud Lights, you'll be "cheated" out of one beer.

Beer is a fermented beverage whose sugar base is primarily, but not necessarily completely, derived from malted grain, be it barley or wheat (there's even some pushing the definition of that). It usually contains hops, but not always. It usually is fermented with beer yeast, but not always. It has alcohol in it (even "alcohol-free" has trace amounts). It has some CO2, from champagne-like to near undetectable.

People's distaste with 4% (or 3.5% or 3.2% or whatever number is stuck in their head) is just because "the man" says that's all they can have. They taste the oppression. Alcohol content is fairly, although not completely, meaningless when it comes to actual taste and enjoyment of said product.

If you really care about getting drunk, chug some alcohol. I'd rather have three or four 4% beers over the course of a few hours and enjoy them without getting trashed. Or getting trashed. Whatevs.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  22. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's not about getting "trashed" it's the fact that because Utah has set such idiotic and arbitrary standards, I can't go to a store and have a nice selection of beer. I go to a grocery store in another state and I can buy anything from 3.5% beer to a Sam Adams all the way up to imperial stouts that are 9%. Here, I have to go to a state-run liquor store, pay an insane markup and it's not even stored in a refrigerator.

It limits stores. I can't get the same beer at a Buffalo Wild Wings on tap that I can in the other states.

It also limits what you can sell at events. You look at San Jose's stadium and they have a full bar where you can get anything (at a huge mark up) but it's there.

Even in states that don't allow wine sales at grocery stores (like Kentucky) you'll have a store-owned liquor store right there. I'm sorry but for most of my adult life, I've been able to add a bottle of wine to my grocery list and make one trip. Utah is in the wrong on this one.

23. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be happy you don't live in a dry county, surrounded by dry counties, where you have to drive over an hour just to buy it. It can always be worse.

CrazyJ628 repped this.
  24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'm not arguing the fact about "the man." I'm arguing your comment about "fake" beer. It isn't fake. It isn't less-good merely due to the fact that it has less alcohol than most beers.

Your anger about the abolitionist attitude of the state is misdirected at lower-alcohol beer. Lower-alcohol beer is, in fact, REAL beer and, even if you aren't super into it, is enjoyed by many tens-of-thousands of people. I too would love more selection and options. But I don't take for granted the great beers that are being made that meet the requirements of our state legal code.

25. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I went to college in Kentucky where they had lots of dry counties. Of course, a KY county is pretty small. My college town was wet and it was in a dry county surrounded by dry counties. The joke was on them when other counties basically paid for my college town's new police cars.