RSL Expansion/Re-Entry Draft Thread '14-'15

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Section 5, Oct 29, 2013.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really hoping he's not. I was really hoping that this was a slick move by Garth to get allocation for Borchers, and spend part of it to get Olave back, making it a net savings. It seems like as details come out that it's the opposite. If that 200k reported is true, then we got fleeced by NYRB. They paid us 150k for Espy/Olave combined, and it seems pretty bizarre to spend 200k to bring back an older player.

2. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Why give up more money to bring back Olave instead of just keeping Nat .They realized that they made a mistake and needed to cover their mistake with getting a vet from somewhere. Obviously NY wanted to get rid of Olave. So we took him and had to paid too much for him because of the FO mistake. Why would we pay more for one player when we paid 150,000 for two two years go!!!
    Another point someone said why be like Toronto or Vancouver .. Maybe because the owners of those teams, and Seattle, LA , Both NY do not follow the salary cap because the owner opens his wallet to,spend of quality players. Yes that is the way to go. Go out and get a third legit forward ..

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is Javi > Gil at AM.
    And I think, even though it is frustrating, Javi at AM with Gil at RM > Gil at AM Javi at RM.
    It would be an interesting experiment, though.

You'd have to always count on Javi being subbed at the 60th minute, though. The guy doesn't have the engine to pull off the work that the position demands

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Dude, give it a rest. You don't understand how the salary cap works. Toronto, Seattle, Vancouver, and LA, can only spend willy nilly on THREE players. Del Loy already did that, so quit saying he hasn't opened up his checkbook. You wouldn't happen to be Borchers' brother, would you?

El-ahrairah and GoRSL repped this.
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    He's Beckerman's lackey. I'm sure I remember @JasonMa saying the only thing that made him happy about the Ballouchy/Beckerman trade was that phills left their forum.

15 to 32, TheBiff, BalanceUT and 2 others repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @phills - If there were 11 players the FO wanted to protect more than they did Nat, then it was not a mistake to let him go. If the FO had a contingency plan in place to replace him, then it was not a mistake to let Nat go.

If we overpaid for Olave, then that indeed was a mistake.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Well that and trading Ballouchy for Kandji to win a MLS Cup.

I'm a little concerned that Kreis will trade Ballouchy to Colorado for Hairston now though. ;)

8. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agreed. From http://www.empireofsoccer.com/?p=30812

Ugh, $200k for that. Hopefully he's agreeing to a far cheaper deal with us than he had there. Maybe he's the 'designated player' for CCL games.

9. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allocation is a grand mystery of the universe. I'm surprised we're attaching so much to it.

We used it to essentially protect a 12th player. Fine.
    I've heard we can use it to buy a guy's acquisition or salary down and get it out of DP range - let's hope.
    With the cap going up there will be money to burn this year. If there were ever a year to "buy" players this is probably it.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different economic times. Prices vary based on supply and demand. Yadda Yadda.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still stupid to pay more for something years later that has clearly lost value. It's not like we're talking about a vintage car that can be restored.

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe the $200K rumor isn't fact.

georg and BalanceUT repped this.
  13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I'm thinking it's not, or there's something we're missing. Olave on 280k + 200k transfer is funds that could easily be used to get a younger CB at the same level who could be with us for years to come. If we actually went out and spent 480k on Olave, then I think it's a bad move.

14. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unless allocation $ have an expiration date and we didn't have any other thing we wanted to use them on before they expired. There could be other things like they pay part of his salary, don't get hit with it on the 2015 books, but get to use the allocation $ towards their 2015 numbers. Many potential financial reasons that would explain a seemingly high $ for him.

15. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    It's also possible that Olave was willing to take a financial haircut as long as he could move to a market that was considerably less expensive and he (and his family) was already familiar with.

It's hard to say if it was a good or bad deal till the details of the deal emerge and his go forward pay situation.

16. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I am not willing to rule out the "We're New York and we like stories of financially screwing over those rubes in flyover country (whether it's true or not)" aspect to this...yet.

17. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think Grabavoy is really well placed with an NYCFC spot if his interest is getting into the soccer media side of things with MLS itself. He'll be local and able to participate or even transition into the MLS media role living in NYC. Not sure if any of that was in his thought process in participating in the MLS Cup run-up media activity.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  18. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That surely made a big difference for Dunseth, eh? :rolleyes:

UPinSLC repped this.
  19. Mufaka

Mufaka New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Magna, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, Big Apple Soccer's story on Ryan Meara's loan deal to NYCFC claims that, in addition to Sal Zizzo, the Red Bulls are receiving $300k in allocation from NYCFC.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/redbulls2.php?article_id=39643

This and the Olave story tell me one of three things:

A.) The Red Bulls are somehow fleecing everyone,
    B.) There's more allocation money to go around that any of us realize, or
    C.) Someone, either at the Red Bulls or at Big Apple Soccer, is full of crap.

Taragui and BalanceUT repped this.
  20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    That's kind of where we are arriving in the RSL forum. It doesn't really seem to make much sense otherwise.

Taragui and BalanceUT repped this.
  21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
  22. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friggin' Stormtroopers! They need to get a life.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  23. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan Meara to the NYCFC for Sal Zizzo and $300k in money? BULLSHIT.

Only way these numbers are accurate is if the Red Bulls GM happens to have some unflattering pics of other teams' GMs in some unbecoming positions with farm animals.

24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just like the GM's of other teams. If they aren't spewing BS about their latest DP signing, they are trying to corrupt the morals of barnyard animals.

25. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No that report says NYCFC wanted to trade for meara, 300k allocation, not did.

That said, the report is rather ambiguous. Is Zizzo also on loan, or was he traded to nyrb for a 1 year loan and a no-play clause? reciprocal loan is the only thing that makes sense... but who would pay 300k allocation for meara in the first place? What? He is a goalie, not even starting for his current team. He is similar to attinella, and that is meant as a compliment.

The only way any of the garberbucks reports make sense is 1) its a load of bullshit, or 2) garberbucks are not real bucks, and their value is significantly less than we see at face value.

I trust Garth Lagerway.