RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    All Yura money belong to us.

ajr_RSL and Todorojo repped this.
  2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

15 to 32, Todorojo, DrownedElf and 2 others repped this.
  3. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todorojo, RSLer and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  5. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the result?

8. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The RSL U14s looked a lot like the senior team, losing 2-0. One assumes there was a rant by the coach after, but it was not caught on the stream.

RSLer repped this.
  9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The USA U20s played North Carolina FC, a USL team, this morning. They won 2-1. No video but Ledezma started.

Apparently Sebastian Soto came off the bench and scored both goals.

Pl@ymaker, RSLer and pate repped this.
  10. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They lost again today, 3-0 to Arsenal.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I'd seen this rumor but there wasn't anything solid to it, so I didn't post it. Keith Costigan is a bit more reliable so it's probably worthy of posting.

Ochoa is an 01 goalkeeper who is generally considered the best American GK of that age, and the presumptive starter at the 2021 U20 WC. He'd even gotten some time with the Monarchs. Losing him to Man U is a tough pill on first glance.

But there may be more to this one than that. Apparently there's a rumor that Ochoa had been kicked out of the academy altogether for a (presumably serious) rules violation. I have no idea what he may have done to warrant that. So he may not have been in the first teams plans no matter what.

Either way, it seems another talent from the academy isn't going to be signing with us.

15 to 32, Ismitje, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  12. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL needs to start offering better contracts to these players.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Dunny he turned down a better offer from RSL.

Allez RSL, Todorojo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we call this too little too late
    Soto should have been on contract with the Monarchs for at least a year if not two. In fact, I'm starting to really wonder if the age setup in the academy is right. Having a U16 and U18 team is great, but that puts the identification timeline a bit later than it really should be. Ideally you keep the U16 and U18 teams, introduce a U14 and maybe even U12 group. Then you make the Monarchs a club that has a mandate to ALWAYS be filled with, at least, 50% Monarchs players (while pushing to make the number as close to 100% as possible).

This response that was floated around yesterday is extremely tone deaf to what the real problem is. I don't care if RSL made him a good offer this summer, that is WAYYYYYY to late in the game. If I'm Soto, I'm probably saying ******** you, too, because RSL has had ample time to make an offer yet don't seem interested in it until someone else comes calling.

ajr_RSL, DrownedElf and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't the Monarchs a club with 100% Monarchs players currently? ;)

But I do agree that the team should be at least half academy players while ideally having more.

15 to 32, RSLer and Todorojo repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god damn it

18. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be fair, they use a good number of RSL players during the season...

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yay, rehab team!

SenordrummeR2, Pl@ymaker and Todorojo repped this.
  20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good use of the team tbh. Let RSL guys get healthy and match fit and not risk the senior team.

21. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Something that's been missed in this whole conversation is the fact that Soto doesn't have an EU passport, so he couldn't move abroad until he turned 18. Same is true for Ledezma (though not Booth). Nobody could have signed him at 16 except us... but apparently we waited til he was 18.

Some kids probably won't take a Monarchs contract at 16, which would kill their NCAA eligibility. But honestly... if they won't, why not offer a first-team contract? We get 30 roster spots and we're not going to use all of them in a given year. We can invest 2-4 of them at a time in signing young kids that won't play for a while.

Dallas' U19 team was about as good as ours this year. In the 99-01 age group, they had 5 guys on first-team contracts. We had 0. So guess which team loses a player to Bayern for free, and which team loans a player to Bayern with a likely sell-on clause to come?

Allez RSL, rslfanboy, Pl@ymaker and 4 others repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    say we do sign them to first team contracts, could we not then loan them to Monarchs to free the spot?

23. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    My understanding of MLS rules is that we can only do this for one player a year. Like we can loan whoever we want to to the Monarchs, but we can only clear an actual roster spot for one player at a time with a season-long loan. Still worth doing.

15 to 32 repped this.
  24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    To harp on this again, one last point to make...

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I think I've been on this beat longer than most. I know I've been complaining about the Monarch's roster for over a year, and I think I first noticed the number of UW grads they signed.

The point is, right now is the point where our top players are leaving, and it's tempting to say that we made a mistake right now... but as you point out, the mistake was actually made 1+ years ago. This was predictable. The key is to identify the top players at 15-17 and integrate them into our setup so they're ready to contribute at 18. Soto and Ledezma should have each signed over a year ago, and right now we should be talking about the top 01-03s in our academy.

Now the FO is getting killed for not signing Soto-Ledezma, but we should be signing guys like Julian Vasquez, or Ben Ortiz, or Zack Farnsworth (the top 01-02s in the academy). Soto should be leading the Monarchs in goals right now, not debating signing a contract.

I predict that the FO will say they tried their best to sign these two, we'll make a couple more signings from the NCAA this offseason... then we'll have this exact conversation all over again next summer when Julian Vasquez leaves for free.

RSLer, 15 to 32 and pate repped this.
  25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nice thing is you can get some or many of the early signings wrong and you're out relatively little money compared to what you stand to net if you end up selling a few to high bidders. Imagine how many failed early signings from their academy Vancouver can cover from Alphonso Davies' transfer fee - but he had to be on a first team contract for this to work.

Taragui, RSLer, 15 to 32 and 3 others repped this.