RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would make more sense.

2. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    That would be nice. I seem to remember hearing that the limit was 5 games as justification for why Danny Acosta didn't spend more time with the Monarchs in 2015.

Speaking of Ledezma, he's been called into U20 YNT camp, along with Glady Mendoza and David Ochoa. Tab apparently likes him a lot. He'll have a good shot at making the U20 WC roster if he's played at CM, as Durkin and Adams are unlikely to be available.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...-to-honduras-for-two-matches-vs-los-catrachos

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Whatever happened to Taylor Booth?

4. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Last report is that Booth was acquiring an Italian passport and signing with Bayern Munich. It's been quiet on that front for a few months, but I assume that's still happening.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is he still with the academy then or is he working out elsewhere?

6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Good question. He was listed as "Unattached" on the most recent U19 YNT roster. He's not playing with RSL academy teams or Bayern academy teams. Maybe he's training in Germany under the radar a bit?

My best guess is that he's just spending time with the YNTs for a bit while working through the passport process. Hasn't been any solid news for a while.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer, Todorojo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't wait to have to buy him back from a big club like we did Lennon and will likely have/get to do with Booth

pate and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  10. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    And now Brian Sciaretta interviews Sebastian Soto.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when RSL talks over homegrown contracts. If we lose Booth, Soto, and Ledezma in the span of a year, that's awful.

"I’ll always have my heart with RSL but in the end of the day it’s whatever makes the most sense for me and my career.”

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if only we had some way to combat this...
    Then of course, there is Real Salt Lake where he has been the standout of the Development Academy. He is still not signed to a homegrown deal and there is a chance that as he continues to rise internationally at the youth levels, European or Mexican teams could swoop in.

RSLer repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a really good thread on twitter I read the other day about how European clubs view "young" players vs how the US does. The user handle is @Kephern_Fuller. Go check it out.

Biggest takeaway from there that relates to here: "...the difference between US youth compared to EU... can't believe at 18 we call them kids... our youth are 4 years behind in maturity in most cases"

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  13. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Three RSL-AZ players on the latest U18 YNT roster - Erwin Martinez, Luis Arriaga, and Julian Vasquez.

This looks like a B team for Namazi to find a few players who can contribute, not his first-choice squad. I believe it's the first YNT involvement for Martinez and Vasquez, and Arriaga's first involvement in a while.

RSLer, pate and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2007 (can’t believe it’s been this long) one of my sons and I were on our way to the BayArena in Leverkusen to witness a match. On the long walk from the banhof to the stadium we took time to watch several youth matches. The matches were completely different than what we were used to ( my son was a Utah youth player at the time ). The Bundesliga game was different from MLS in that it was quickly up and down throughout the match. There were no slow build ups.

I realize that I have diverged from the topic. However,I think the nugget is that in the USA we about 4 years behind European, and I assume, South American maturity. The root cause is, IMO, our focus on “winning” at the youth level as opposed to skill development.

Pl@ymaker and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ConIFA discussion moved here.

Lizzie Bee and GreenRaver repped this.
  16. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todorojo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Red alert. Ledezma trialing with PSV Eindhoven:

RSLer and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    In less sad news, 4 RSL academy players made the best XI at the end of the year. It's the usual suspects - Ledezma, Soto, Ochoa, and Mendoza.

It doesn't look like any of the 4 are on the cusp of first-team deals, however. Mendoza tore his ACL and will likely miss his freshman year. Soto is pretty set on going to Berkeley at least one season, Ledezma has a foot out the door, and Ochoa is the youngest of the 4.

Ismitje and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Todorojo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL's homegrowns are getting a lot of playing time but none of them are under the age of 20. Why haven't they signed any '98 or '99s? It's like all they did was just sign players from the team that made it to the final of the GA Cup a few years ago.

ajr_RSL and irondeepbicycle repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well RSL's roster is full and we don't have a second team to go out signing these players...

wait, what was that?

23. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    And there goes Soto:

Brian Sciaretta's follow up tweet says he's working with Rob Moore as an agent, which means he's headed to Europe.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he makes it at BMG but it sucks that RSL is losing these young talented players. They need to start offering the players more money or something.

25. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura took all their money

15 to 32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.