RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a potential MLS player, I think the smart move now is getting your degree as well. If starting pay in the MLS was 100k+ the argument would probably look a little different, since you should be making enough at that point to be able to save for college later if needed.

irondeepbicycle repped this.
  2. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've got to admit, watching a replay of those kids playing in that incredible facility is just amazing. Let's just assume that pre-season rain won't keep RSL from being fit this year!

TheBiff, 15 to 32, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunny will find a reason, don't fret

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lack of hydration due to failing to replace the water boy Movsisyan.

5. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    An interesting Twitter thread about college soccer:

Relevant here as RSL has apparently decided to lean pretty heavily on the NCAA for development. It's been about 2.5 years since we signed someone directly from the academy.

pate and 15 to 32 repped this.
  7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Is that because of the team's preference or the players'?

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard a situation yet where RSL made an academy product a contract offer but they decided to go to college instead. Herrera left college a year early because RSL finally was like "ok now I guess we'll make this offer". I don't get it.

Though I will say that in talks with a former Monarchs player he said the maturity level of a guy who even did a year or two of college and some of the kids that were straight from the academy was night and day. His opinion was that unless you're going to be a starter, a year or two of college was great for the players off the field development.

rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Hard to say for certain but all of the evidence suggests it's club preference. They almost never sign academy players to the Monarchs even when other MLS 2 teams do.

Once per year, we're allowed to do a season-long loan to the Monarchs without burning any cap space or a roster spot. We did this with Ovalle in 2015 and Acosta in 2016, but have not done since. We have some academy grads who openly say they'd skip college for a pro contract, but the only academy players we sign are the ones who go to college first.

Other MLS teams are signing players straight to their first-team squads and USL affiliates, but RSL is going more heavily down the college route.

Allez RSL repped this.
  10. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Academy U17s are playing in the Generation Adidas Cup in Texas. This year, they're in the Premier Division, a step down from the Championship Division where they have often competed.

Here's the Schedule:
    3/23 10:15MT v Orlando City SC
    3/25 8:00MT v Houston Dynamo
    3/27 7:00MT v Monterrey

possible additional games are on 3/29 and 3/31 details TBD

15 to 32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be in Dallas the 25 & 27 are they playing in frisco?

12. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two games in and the academy team is 0-2. :(

15 will appreciate that even if they're not winning, they're playing the kids. ;)

goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Academy wise, I'm fine with losses as long as they're being trained properly. The US puts far too much into winning at the youth levels instead of actually developing players to be better down the line.

RSLer, 2nd Mouse, El-ahrairah and 2 others repped this.
  15. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . and the Academy boys beat Monterrey 2-0.

Pl@ymaker and RSLer repped this.
  16. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Something the big boys couldn't do when it mattered most. :-(

RSLer, pate, 15 to 32 and 1 other person repped this.
  17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is that ********in' unrep button?!!?!?

RSLer and Todorojo repped this.
  18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    TOO SOON! TOO DAMN SOON!!

BalanceUT, RSLer, pate and 2 others repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that. However, and I bring this up only within the framework of the BS RSL Board: we recently discussed the organizational goals as they relate to the Academy/Monarchs/RSL “system”. The majority of viewpoints were that the organization prioritizes a culture of “winning” as the answer to the question of “Why doesn’t the organization use the ‘system’ to identify and advance Academy prospects instead of bringing in aged vets to the Monarchs?” The Academies’ results in this tournament seem to indicate that the Organization’s goals are not being met.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's more that the Monarchs and RSL are being ran independently of each other. I don't think that spreads to the academy, though, from what I've seen. I just think the club is missing a huge opportunity to give chances to fringe MLS level academy products a chance to grow with the Monarchs.

I've attended a few academy games. Certainly winning is important - and at that age (15-18), you should be teaching kids how to win, not just how to play. That said, the technical focus is very apparent.

RSLer repped this.
  21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's good to hear that it appears that they're being brought up the right way. Now if they could just get more chances with the Monarchs, we'd have a pretty solid setup.

RSLer, pate and 15 to 32 repped this.
  22. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    The title of "Most exciting player in our academy" has probably been usurped from Sebastian Soto by Richie Ledezma. Here's a nice Twitter thread about his minutes for the Monarchs this weekend:

Click through and read the whole thread, it's well worth it.

Ledezma, at the moment, is not signed to a pro contract. He's allowed 5 USL games without losing his NCAA eligibility, but I'm hoping he doesn't go that route at all.

Allez RSL repped this.
  23. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #923 Todorojo, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    This is an example of why I am not worried about the Monarchs having some more veteran players. So long as the academy kids who have MLS potential in the next couple of years get their chances (Which they will if they are good enough). Ledezma has had a chance to play in a couple of games along side professional players, and learn and expirience not only playing against pros, but with them as well. A full 11 man squad of 17-20 year olds would lead to a bunch of inexperienced players getting played off the pitch and not having the same developmental impact. People don't develop as well when they lose every game, they don't improve when they can't see players who know what they are doing reacting to the way they are playing.

Yes, we should probably find room for 3ish academy kids per game. But having a roster of guys in their mid 20's who are still fighting and have potential to break into MLS (Besler, Velasquez types) to play along side a couple of the top young guys is great. Other Academy kids who can't break into the USL first team, might sign with the Monarchs after graduating from the Academy, and have to earn a starting spot from a seasoned player. That will only help competition for both. Young kids have to earn their spots. Being given too much without the work can lead to the Gil's of the world.

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Ledezma has played 2 games for a total of ~45 minutes ish. That's great, but he's only allowed 5. He also can sign with any non-MLS team for free at any point.

There's a balance between young and experienced for sure, but the Monarchs are way, way too far on the "experienced" end of that balance. They've also found a couple games for David Ochoa, a young keeper from the academy, but they're leaving Jose Hernandez on the bench every game for some reason.

RSLer, Ismitje and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think Ledezma is limited to five games. Etienne played 14 times for NYRBII in 2015 before heading off the college.

Teams are limited to using five academy kids per squad, IIRC.

irondeepbicycle repped this.