RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured it would've been Ogden or Layton since they're close enough together. I guess they went with Ogden. Probably just as simple as available land and/or the cost.

2. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Todorojo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  4. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    One of the comments on his post is Acosta saying, "See you soon," so I think that he is joining RSL.

5. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    5 players from the RSL academy included in the massive 153 player YNT Summit.

U-20: Glademir Mendoza
    U-19: Sebastian Soto, Richard Ledezma
    U-18: David Ochoa
    U-17: Zackery Farnsworth

Taylor Booth is listed as "Unattached".

Disappointing omissions are Erik Virgen (U20), Ben Ortiz (U18) and Luis Arriaga (U18) who have all had YNT involvement in the past.

Ismitje and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    5 out of 153 isn't bad. I don't want to go through every single MLS academy to see how we rank, but looking at the usual suspects, I see 6 for LA, 7 for Dallas, 8 for Atlanta, 3 for NYRB. We'd be tied with LA if Booth were attached to us.

The Franchise repped this.
  7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glademir, Vlad the Impaler's less emo brother.

Ismitje repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Taylor Booth part is concerning

9. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    It gets a little weirder, because RSL just sent a press release in which they say he is still a part of the RSL academy: https://www.rsl.com/post/2017/12/29/six-rsl-academy-members-called-youth-usa-camp

This may be wishful thinking on RSL's part, but the club designations in YNT releases aren't gospel. At this point, it's not totally clear if we've lost him or not.

10. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    UPDATE: Looks like Booth is almost certainly gone.

Tough to turn down Bayern. Dunno if there's anything we could have done differently.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve posted about this before and received push back. I probably will this time too: there has to be a way developed for the academy to realize a payback for developing players. Is there no way to make it part of the enrollment process? An attached agreement that If RSL wants the player, but the player signs with another professional team, there will be financial compensation to the academy? I’m obviously not a lawyer or employment expert, but it seems feasible in my tiny brain.

12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully it turns out good for him a la Pulisic but it could turn out to be another Brooks Lennon situation where Bayern spends a butt load of money on his training and he ends up coming back to RSL.

13. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    FIFA has a global system of solidarity payments that MLS has chosen not to abide by. Adopting this system might be a violation of US labor laws, and the player's union would definitely oppose it.

But I agree with you. This trend isn't just going to stop on its own - as MLS gets bigger and better, more European teams will realize they can nab promising American players for free. Personally, I'm getting scared of losing Soto - let's send a first-team contract his way ASAP.

I don't know what RSL can do on our own. Maybe just try to offer bigger contracts to HGP players earlier?

RSLer repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the player's union cover academy guys?

15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL Academy Mention Alert! I was listening to the Tony Meola and Dunny show on SiriusXM today on my way home (as is my wont). They were whining about the whole Johnathon Gonzalez saga when Meola mentions three players U-19 players that were very impressive during a recent soccer camp (I don't know if it was the recent 150+ USSF camp or something else). Two of the three players were from the RSL academy, Ledezma and Soto, so hopefully, we'll be seeing them in RSL kits in the future.

ajr_RSL repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone that's seen him (including yours truly) raves about Soto. The kid is legit. Can't wait to hear about a Euro or Mexican club getting him.

17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep it quiet! We don't need them poaching our talent! The next thing you know, some promising player for the USMNT will decide to play for Mexico instead, oh wait, um, nevermind.

18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I'm a little surprised we haven't signed him already. Hopefully he's signed before the season starts. Would be a much better use of a HGP contract than Baird, IMO.

15 to 32 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Where is he from?

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, the Baird thing had to happen. To not give a contract to a HGP that won 3 national championships in college would be shocking. I fully expect him to be with the Monarchs the whole year, but you have to reward success.

This isn't to say Soto shouldn't get a contract. I don't think it's an either/or thing with him and Baird.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #871 15 to 32, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Cali

Interesting note from this article:
    "“My parents always tell me ‘Education, education;’ the only way I can play soccer is my education,” said academy player Sebastian Soto, who last year was the leading scorer in the country in his age group. “Yeah, soccer’s No. 1 for me, but for my parents, I have to have some education there, too.”

Academy director Martin Vasquez said Soto is already committed to Berkeley on a full scholarship."

22. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    See, I think the goal should be to keep our best prospects from going to the NCAA at all, not asking them to meet a standard once they're there to earn a contract.

Whether Baird took a spot from Soto or not, he took a spot from someone with more upside - like Glady Mendoza on our U19s, or Milan Iloski at UCLA (who is 3 and a half years younger than Baird).

I'd be more OK with signing Baird if the Monarchs made an even cursory attempt to sign young players. But as is, I don't know where the next generation of HGPs is supposed to be. Baird means one less roster spot that can go to a young, developing player.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    FWIW, Justen Glad was committed to Stanford, and Danny Acosta was committed to UCLA.

Battler, Pl@ymaker and 15 to 32 repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not as well versed in the qualities of Baird as you seem to be. Is he significantly worse than those other players you listed? Is there serious potential we lose Mendoza or Iloski this year to another club? Honest questions. I wish I was better educated in the academy than I am

25. MOS5

MOS5 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soto is getting a little old to play for the team again isn't he? /s (go to 1:36)

Ismitje and Allez RSL repped this.