RSL Academy

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by kirsoccer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd probably lean a little towards it being a good thing for the U-15 team. I know in the past the USWNT has lost to a high school team, so a U-15 team doing it probably speaks towards that younger team being good.

3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know that the USWNT had lost to a high school team before. I would have expected them to at least be able to beat high school teams without any problem but maybe I'm assuming that the USWNT is better than it really is.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the women's team was in town back in the day (2005, maybe?) my club team tried to setup a friendly with them. They turned it down. They had lost to a boys team our age a few weeks prior and, rumor was, they didn't want to go through that again.

5. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it bad that my first thought was maybe the USWNT players should get paid what the U15 boys are....after all, they keep screaming about equal pay for equal work. Seriously doubt the U15 squad could beat the USMNT like that in a warmup scrimmage. It wasn't a squeaker either, it was a 5-2 final.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the U15 boys move the TV needle like the women's team?

Allez RSL repped this.
  7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find surprising is that a U15 boys team could beat the USWNT. Men will be better than women at many sports due to their physical strength, etc., but I didn't expect that a U15 boys team could beat the USWNT 5-2. I would have expected a much closer game.

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could just be a really good Dallas team, and the article also made it seem like the USWNT were doing it more as a warm up and not being serious. That does make sense to not play all out, since they're likely mostly looking to become match fit and not wanting to risk injury. If it were a tournament setup, I could see them beating a U-15 team. As far as a HS team? I could see the high school team still winning. While the US hasn't produced a Ronaldo or Messi, just look at a lot of the youth around the world who are playing well at a high school age. Pulisic from the US already looks great, and is already playing for a good team.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, just reading the score of the game is a bad way of telling how the game went. I wouldn't be surprised if the women's team rotated in players and different formations to try new things. There is also the fact that the women's team has nothing to gain in that game except possible injury so they're using it as fitness and nothing more.

I'm not overly shocked - the FC Dallas academy is a damn good setup - and the women's team looked just fine against Russia.

10. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of Generation Adidas Cup bits:
    mlssoccer.com article on players to watch - RSL #9 Sebastian Soto makes the list
    And today's game v Real Madrid:

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  11. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not looking good. The ref has given RM 2 PK's in the last 5 minutes, and I think RSL has like 3 yellows already. This ref is blowing his whistle about every 30 seconds. The boys on both sides look frustrated with the amount of stopages. It is 2-0 at half.

12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. U-17 boys national team
    GOALKEEPERS (2): Carlos Joaquim Dos Santos (Benfica; Philadelphia, Pa.), Justin Garces (Kendall SC; Miami, Fla.).
    DEFENDERS (5): Christopher Gloster (New York Red Bulls; Montclair, N.J.), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City; Charlotte, N.C.), James Sands (New York City FC; Rye, N.Y.), Arturo Vasquez (FC Golden State; Mira Loma, Calif.), Akil Watts (IMG Academy; Fort Wayne, Ind.).
    MIDFIELDERS (7): George Acosta (Weston FC; Hollywood, Fla.), Taylor Booth (Real Salt Lake AZ; Eden, Utah), Christopher Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.), Blaine Ferri (Solar Chelsea SC; Southlake, Texas), Christopher Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Locust Grove, Ga.), Indiana Vassilev (IMG Academy; Savannah, Ga.), Adrian Villegas (Portland Timbers; Hood River, Ore.).
    FORWARDS (6): Ayomide Akinola (Toronto FC; Brampton, Ont.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Zyen Jones (Atlanta United FC; Clarkston, Ga.), Bryan Reynolds, Jr. (FC Dallas; Little Elm, Texas), Joshua Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri; O'Fallen, Mo.) Timothy Weah (Paris Saint-Germain; Rosedale, N.Y.)

https://www.socceramerica.com/artic...-u-17-world-cup-qualifying.html?edition=17094

13. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Huh. Unless I missed someone, the only MLS team with multiple players selected is Atlanta. I didn't even know they had an academy going yet. So, after seeing this post, I looked it up (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016...lanta-united-academy-turning-heads-across-mls), and I guess they (the AUFC academy) vacuumed up youth prospects that were already on the U-17 team.

Has that happened everywhere an MLS academy has opened? Do they become the de facto pinnacle of youth development in every area where they open up, or has Atlanta done something special to attract those players?

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look into how RSL came into Jordan Allen.

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I've never heard the story about how Allen arrived at the academy. This wikipedia article doesn't really tell it.

Did the RSL academy scoop up YNT prospects from other non-MLS academies in Arizona when it opened? Is that how they got Allen?

16. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje repped this.
  18. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy, Lizzie Bee and Todorojo repped this.
  19. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U16s won their Sat game 3-0.
    U18s drew their game 2-2.
    Both sit atop their groups - U16s 6pts +5GD U18s 4pts +3GD

The final group stage games are today
    the U16s play Vardar who are at 1pt and -1GD
    the U18s play Vancouver with whom they're tied on points but ahead on GD

No streams announced yet.

RSLer, rslfanboy, 15 to 32 and 1 other person repped this.
  20. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ismitje repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    take a bow, kid. Most of our first team guys would have hit that into row z

16's are up 3-0 and KC just got a player sent off. Looks like win in the bag

RSLer repped this.
  24. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2017-7-7_8-2-38.png

RSLer repped this.
  25. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2017-2018 Academy schedule is out. It looks like two dates to put on the calendar are:
    10/14 when RSL meets Barcelona in Casa Grande
    3/2 when RSL meets Barcelona in Herriman.

Full schedule is here (filter by club to make it manageable)

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.