RSL 2019 Game 28: Salt Lake at Portland, Saturday August 31, 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Aug 31, 2019.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First sub will be a keeper?

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plata has moved ahead of Bofo in the rotation under Freddy. Interesting.

kirsoccer repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Freddy wait until the 78th to make subs?

georg repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good hit from Aaron Herrera, saved at the near post by Clark.

5. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a right back that is actually a asset to the attack.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we bring in Cole Grossman as the final sub?

15 to 32 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He sometimes goes down this path. I have no problem with any of those observations tbh.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I have ringing in my ears after the broadcast tonight:

"Poor giveaway by (insert RSL player here)"

"Lazy ball from (insert RSL player here)"

"Aimless running from (insert RSL player here)"

SenordrummeR2 and rslfanboy repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera didn't react to that kick at all. So when the rebound came, he wasn't in good form to take the follow-up shot.

Good chance at the death. Steve Clark created that mess.

SenordrummeR2 and RSLer repped this.
  10. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    I went ahead and did not enjoy that result.

goobx1 repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s another example of the lack of anticipation that Dunny was complaining about earlier.

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think we can expect a Petke like come apart due to lack of extra time?

13. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Freddy ain’t the answer.

I enjoyed Dunny being brutally honest all game. He seems almost disgusted with how they were playing, or not playing mostly, during this game.

How Sam Johnson wasn’t starting and then wasn’t subbed in until almost the 80th minute is beyond ridiculous. Baird sucked big blue balls all game.

For crying out loud Plata should have come on sooner.

Oh and I forgot, who was the third sub? Oh wait, we can use three subs? I did not know that.

Freddy out. A real coach in. PLEASE!

rslfanboy repped this.
  14. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Weird for me.

15. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Agreed on all points. For those that say RSL didn't play that bad, I just don't get it. Portland appeared to REALLY let their foot off the gas for much of the 2nd half.

goobx1 repped this.
  16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I don't think Freddy needs to go anywhere, but he definitely should be INTERIM coach.

Please, Del Loy, spend your money on a great coach.

SenordrummeR2, jessyca and Ismitje repped this.
  17. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Freddy is not the answer. I suspect he even knows that.

Dunny suggested, and I think it's a good point, that perhaps Freddy was thinking about Baird's US call up and feeling he needed to squeeze all he could out of him before he leaves. Whatever the case, the subs came waaay to late.

18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Baird was awful regardless of the call up. Maybe Freddy was keeping him in to get the call up canceled.

Either way he should have been subbed at half or sooner.

19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Rimando minus a few terrible distributions kept RSL from being blown out. He had a couple vintage Rimando saves that’s for sure.

RSLer repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s played very well recently.

21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Because of the holiday weekend I wasn't able to take in the full thing live, but watched it in portions both live and then after the fact - this was not a pretty game by any stretch
    2. For starters, I cannot stand the way this team plays with Kreilach at the 9 anymore. For stretches it was fun because of the interchange and Kreilach's aerial abilities - both of those things have gone away and now it's a system without a point of attack that clogs the areas of the pitch where our best players are.
    3. A lot of focus is on Baird (rightfully so) but can someone explain to me what Kreilach is bringing at the 9 anymore? The guy consistently wastes header opportunities and has zero pace to challenge the opposing backline. I think Freddy wants him to be Sabo but he looks a hell of a lot more like bad Yura right now.
    4. Now focusing on Baird: how the hell was he not subbed at half or the 60th minute, at the very latest? What does Freddy see in playing him as long as he does? His quality isn't very high to start with and always drops as the game goes on.
    5. Dunny pointed out multiple instances of the front 4 or 5 being completely stagnant. This has been the case since the LAFC game. I'm not sure what changed in training, but it needs to be burned and never brought up aggain.
    6. I liked a lot of what I saw of Rowe in the 8 spot. I think it would be worth him getting some more starts there. However, I don't think Fredd will drop KB unless he has to.
    7. I'm tempted to end my post here because RSL only put in half the effort so why not me...
    8. But I'll keep going - why in the hell is Johnson not starting? The guys conversion rate is bonkers. He should be one of the first names on the lineup sheet. Something is off there and reporters worth a damn would make Freddy really answer it.
    9. Do Bofo and Freddy have a beef we don't know about? His drop in minutes since that change is alarming.
    10. Rimando has looked really good, but really out of shape, too. When they showed the 2009 recap thing it made me nearly do a double take with how much weight Nicky has put on since then.
    11. The Toia at LB experiment of this season has had better results than I was fearing, but not as good as I'm sure the staff was hoping. I'm really curious how that position is addressed next season as we can do better.
    12. I'm really sick of Kreilach going down like he got shot every time someone touches him.
    13. This was a chance to get a point that we wasted. The second half was better from RSL in two of the three thirds of the field. The final third left A LOT to be desired.
    14. We fell all the way to 5th with this result and, if Portland takes full points in their game in hand (one of their many at home) then we would actually be in 6th. In a single week. The West is insane and I'm not overly confident in the mental fortitude of this team to handle the playoff push pressure.
    15. Since the LAFC game this team has looked very different in a very bad way. A lot of confidence has gone out the window and the team doesn't look comfortable on the pitch. This upcoming SJ game is one we have to take points on

goobx1 repped this.
  23. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've wondered if this would have anything to do with Bofo being out of contract at the end of season and already receiving offers from other teams, but that would be a really petty reason to bench the guy.

RSLer, goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you know he’s gone with nothing in return, but the opportunity to sell Plata is still out there.

SenordrummeR2 repped this.