RSL 2019 Game 23: NYCFC at Salt Lake, Sat. 3 August 8 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I can't decide if we're solidifying (as our defensive prowess over the past seven games would suggest), muddling along (as our lack of offensive output would suggest), or falling apart (as the suspension of our coach and roster uncertainties indicate).. Regardless, we host NYCFC this weekend in the first game of the post-All Star Game break "run" to the end of the season.

Here we go?

SenordrummeR2 and RSLer repped this.
  2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're in town, right? I think we'll have one end of the spectrum type games. Either this is going to be one we talk about for years (New England drubbing/SKC 7 mins of stoppage time) or one we can't forget soon enough for how boring it is. I'm hoping for you it's the former.

No clue what to expect from the lineup. I doubt we see much change from what has become the "regulars". That means no real 9. Rusnak's status will be interesting to track. Here is what it'll most likely be:

Dami
    Bofo Rusnak Sava
    KB Luiz
    Toia Glad Silva Herrera
    Nicky

Bench: Ochoa, Holt, Lennon, Besler, Baird, Schmitt, Plata

RSLer repped this.
  3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that we still don't know the status of Petke, I woudl say Freddie Juarez will be the coach again. I also don't think Rusnak will be playing, so I would swap Kreilach with Rusnak and then start Schmitt up top with Baird coming in for him as a sub at the half (or the other way around). That way, Schmitt and Baird can go "balls to the wall" and run NYCFC's defenders into the dirt.

RSL wins 2-1. Goals by Schmitt and Baird.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baird couldn't score in a brothel right now, I wouldn't bet on him getting a goal

SenordrummeR2, El-ahrairah and goobx1 repped this.
  5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is indeed the week we're in town, and while I have been looking forward to attending the game for months, I want to know what the team (not the league) is going to do vis-a-vis the Petke situation from last Thursday before I know for sure if I am attending. I know some folks in referee circles from outside the area (non-Salt Lake people, unaffiliated with RSL) who have heard some things that paint a very ugly picture of what went down. I await judgement, but even if the league doesn't do anything else, the team sure had better. And my money is the only way I can emphasize the inappropriateness of inaction.

SenordrummeR2, jessyca and goobx1 repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please share - I've been out of the loop on these things and want to know more of what happened here

7. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Yikes.

I feel like the team maybe dug themselves this particular grave (if it's as bad as you're hearing) when they promoted Petke's "broken printer" rant, with the "Mike Freakin' Petke" twitter posts and such. Maybe they implicitly or explicitly signaled approval for public, emotional complaints about officiating, when, given Petke's history, maybe they should have been asking him to tone it down. What a mess.

8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hindsight I can see this. BUT, the majority of the fanbase, and likewise a majority of those who post in the BS RSL threads, applauded his antics at the time.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You haven’t purchased tix yet?

10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I know, and I'm not going to claim I thought otherwise (I did tho), but the FO could maybe be held responsible for not just going along with a fan frenzy.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because the team has made so many special ticket offers we figured we'd wait this time (we come every two years, and have always had tickets way in advance).

RSLer repped this.
  12. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I agree. I was definitely taken with the fire up the printer and Mike's passion for the team but to keep up that kind of support and to look the other way when he gets out of hand wouldn't be an issue if the team was winning.

Winning cures all but certainly doesn't, can't and won't excuse his behavior. And I don't condone his behavior one iota especially when it's on the field and right in the refs face. It's one thing to try and influence the officials during the game and I'm ok with that to a point if it's done within the limits of relative decency. This seems to be way over the line.

Mike doesn't seem to have learned any lessons from past behavior, the team isn't any better than it was when the printer broke so I'm very curious to see what comes of this.

We shall see.

stucknutah, RSLer, SenordrummeR2 and 2 others repped this.
  13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

goobx1 repped this.
  14. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it was completely out of toner!

heh

stucknutah, Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the team came through with something strong, and I appreciate that. Guess we can come to the game.

rslfanboy, 15 to 32, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  16. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you provide your insight into what went down? Or PM me?

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This will be a very interesting match for sure with Petke on sabbatical and away from the team for two weeks.

Often teams come together when things start going against them but in this case the signs or tea leaves point the other direction for me.

Over the season the last way I would describe this team would be cohesive and together. I guess they could rally the troops behind Petke but it's not really an injustice that's being handed out. It almost feels like a situation where everyone might be waiting for the other shoe to drop considering the severity of what happened. Will some players find his "performance" offensive?

I think MIke leaving at the end of the season is inevitable because I just don't see this team being anything more than unremarkable.

Sad.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious how the players react to this. The slurs he used are incredibly offensive, in my opinion, and would paint Petke in a less than endearing light. If I was playing for him I'd have had enough by now and just wouldn't care to listen anymore. I don't think a mutiny will happen, but I am really interested to see how this extreme of behavior is received.

goobx1 repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, locker room mentality is a factor to consider. Our Captain, for instance, goes on obscenity-laced tirades during games.

15 to 32 repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and like Petke, it's a double edge sword. When you're successful, you love the fire. But once you're not, as with KB, you start to look more and more the thug.

RSLer repped this.
  21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Petke might have a potty-mouth, but I think Beckerman is probably worse, or at least it seems that way.

I don't support Petke being disciplined for expressing himself the way that he did since the refs are big boys and have probably heard those words many, many, many times before. However, I do support him being disciplined for boorish behavior, no matter what he said. If a coach wants to criticize the refs, he does it in the after game press conference, not on the field. And, if it's true, standing around with a sign outside the locker room is just plain stupid. That shows a massive lack of maturity on his part.

I actually think that only a two week suspension is kind a slap on the wrist. I would have given him a month suspension without pay and told Freddy Juarez that he has free rein to coach whatever way he wanted. Maybe Petke would have gotten the message that if he wants to continue coaching for RSL, he better pull his head out of his ass since we are giving coaching try-outs to his replacement.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused (again). What's the difference between (1) Petke expressing himself the way that he did and (2) his boorish behavior? The way he expressed himself is the very definition of boorish behavior.

23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel that determining that certain words and phrases are out-of-bounds is close to determining that certain thoughts and ideas are out-of-bounds. For this reason my definition of boorish behavior doesn't include language. You can still be a dick and not swear at the refs.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    racist and homophobic thoughts/words are out of bounds...

25. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    I'll bet that across the country there are texts, calls, and conversations of former players, coaches, refs, and staff that says something along the lines of:

"Well, Petke did it once too often."
    "Petke went off without a wingman to save him."
    "Raise your hand if you saw this coming."
    "Mike never did learn, did he?"

Just my guess.

Don't cross the line.

If you think refs are incompetent and/or corrupt you probably shouldn't coach. I don't see any Robo-umps coming for soccer.

goobx1 repped this.