RSL 2019 Game 18: Columbus Crew at Salt Lake, Wednesday, July 3, 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Jul 2, 2019.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our guys aren’t handling the incompetence of the referee very well.

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had 4 minutes of added time in the first half we should have 5+ this half. Several yellows and a couple of injury delays.

Edit: LOL. It’s 4.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tate Schmitt coming in as the last offensive sub for the second consecutive game. Wonder if we'll see Joao this weekend, or if (with the transfer window opening again soon) we've seen the last of him on the field for us. Maybe against the LigaMX team later this summer if he's still here?

4. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herrera has been a bright spot, but damn, are we boring to watch! [emoji42]

Who do you guys have for MOTM? It's hard for me to single anyone out.

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did everything but finish well. I was happy with the chances they created. I was unhappy with the accuracy of the shots.

Ismitje repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A hard earned win against a team that’s awful and resorted to clownish soccer. We’re lucky we only had 2 injuries.

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    This had misery written all over it but disaster averted.

I’m so over Baird. The guy has no idea how to go any direction except backwards anymore.

Not a fan of this team at all at the moment. If it wasn’t for Johnson and playing some pretty crappy teams the last couple weeks this team would would be in a world of hurt.

Didn’t get the Besler sub at all. You’re playing one of the worst teams in the effing league right now and you don’t give Schmitt a chance to go 45?

Let him run at the back line like a manic instead of clogging up the midfield moving Damir up top.

Boring.

The ref sucked.

RoyalNonesuch and jessyca repped this.
  8. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat San Jose on the road this coming Saturday and I may become a believer.

Ismitje and goobx1 repped this.
  9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another win. Yay! And a another shutout for Rimando. Yay!

RSL might have been boring and didn't play their best game, but, a win is a win. Remember what Al Davis used to say, "just win, baby". I don't really care if RSL plays jogo bonito or park-the-bus, Italian catenaccio. As long as RSL wins, I'm happy.

RSLer repped this.
  11. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. USMNT team on the TV and RSL on the computer. I didn't have to do too much multi-tasking because of the rain delay. Turned off the TV after the third goal and went to bed.

P.S. Too bad the Swedes lost to the Dutch. I was hoping for a USA - Sweden rematch. But now, with all three finals on Sunday (Gold Cup, Copa America and Women's World Cup), I'll probably watch Brazil-Peru for the Copa America final and then the US-Mexico for the Gold Cup Final. Vamos Brasil!!! USA, USA, USA!!

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  12. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Seriously, I wonder what's going on with him. Everytime he touched the ball tonight the attack died. All he could do was pass backwards. It looked like Brookes was playing both their positions and doing it better than Baird.

goobx1 repped this.
  13. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not an interesting story at all, but I just shared a plane ride to Chicago with the Columbus Crew FO video guy on his way back from the game. Hmmm, anything worth sharing? I found myself talking with him about the Crew’s woes as if RSL is in such better shape (true in some ways), but we ended up agreeing that both teams still probably have equal chances of making the playoffs. Also, I didn’t realize they were so close to breaking ground on their new stadium (he said it was looking like late this summer).

goobx1 and Ismitje repped this.
  14. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be surprised if Coach Porter gets a stern talking-to and maybe fine for his remarks after the game.

fwiw, I thought it was a PK and that we dodged a bullet.

15. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Psh, without printed visual aids to back up his claim this is a pretty amateur post game ref rant. 2/10

Not a PK for me. Attacker initiated the "contact" by stepping on Nick's hand, and at that point he had already pushed the ball out of reach. No way would he have got to the ball if there wasn't any contact at all. No PK on the field and definitely was not clear and obvious enough to overturn.

BalanceUT, goobx1, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  16. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Maybe next year the Crew FO will budget enough money for a decent printer.

RSLer and El-ahrairah repped this.
  17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a PK. The attacker initiated the contact by stepping on Nick's hand. The attacker doesn't have the right to go thru an opposing player. This isn't basketball.

And I was always under the impression that stepping on another opponent, no matter what the reason, was a cardable offense, especially if it's a goalie's hand. If not, then why do we have players getting cards for stepping on other player's feet or being sent off for high-kicks, etc? If there was any other contact other than the attacker stepping on Nick's hand, it was due to the reaction of having your hand stepped on. A yellow card, if not a red, should have been shown to the attacking player for dirty/dangerous play since he could have very easily broken Nick's hand.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ball being pushed too far is why I felt it was not a PK. As far as the hand being stepped on, I don’t know what to think. I mean, if a player is already in full stride and a hand then is placed where the foot is going to land, then it’s going to be stepped on. I don’t know how a sprinter is supposed to NOT step on it. But @El-ahrairah makes a good point...if that was a foot or an ankle being stepped on it would have been a card.

El-ahrairah and goobx1 repped this.