RSL 2019 Game 13: Atlanta at Salt Lake, Fri. 24 May, 7 pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 2nd Mouse, May 23, 2019.

1. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's never a good thing when I start a game thread, but here we are, one day before, so I'm having to do it, which means this one's on you guys if we shit the bed.

Both teams have been winning recently, and while Atlanta stumbled last week against NYRB, most of the stats were in ATL's favor (except the one that counts). It feels like RSL has had more help from its opponents recently than we're apt to get from Atlanta, though. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised again. We could score a quick one and then bunker the rest of the game, like the Red Bulls did. Hopefully Sam's out of the dog house.

Weather might be okay - chance of showers, not miserably cold but chilly. There are $15 tickets available, but I think you need to sit in the upper deck. Anyway, the team is trying to get butts in the seats, which is good. Still expect to see a light turnout.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Broadway media (which DLH owns) has been pushing more ads for this "weekend of soccer" than I can remember doing so in the past. Hopefully it catches with people. Though, bad weather will undo all of that. What a horrendously long winter...

Anyways, barring a late arrival at pregame meeting, I expect Johnson to be back in the starting lineup. Had he started against TFC I think he would have bagged at least a brace with how slow their CBs were.

XI I expect:
    Johnson
    Bofo Rusnak Sava
    Kreilach Besler
    Toia Glad Onuhoa Herrera
    Rimando

Bench: Horwath, Silva, Baird, Luiz, Lennon, Mulholland, Portillo

3. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think Luiz would take the place of Besler and I'm not sure about Bofo, Rusnak and Sava. I would think Baird would take one of the wings, probably Sava, but if not, he'll be the first player off the bench.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luiz was nice to have back, but it was clear he wasn't 90 fit yet. I would expect this to be a game he subs in around 60 and then he is back to starting thereafter.

Bofo has earned a starting spot, Rusnak looked like his old self for parts of the last game so he should be in there, but the argument between Sava and Baird is a legitimate one. I'm fine with either. I prefer the touch and ability to beat players on the dribble that Sava has, but I wouldn't be upset with Baird starting.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  5. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    There's still over 13' of snow at the Alta-Collins snow stake.

I have no thoughts about the game.

15 to 32 repped this.
  6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice preview article from MLSSoccer.com here.

7. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is still winter, why am I mowing my lawn and fighting the annual invasion of weeds? I'll take a winter like this over one with the white stuff covering my lawn any day of the week.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well rain would certainly be in your favor, we have not faired well in wet weather, but to be fair one of our losses was in a monsoon and the pitch was unplayable and the match should have been called off.

Anyway, we will not use weather an excuse if we don't get a least a point. We will blame an insane schedule that has us traveling from Atlanta to Vancouver to New York to Salt Lake. We will have traveled 9,000 to play 3 away game in little over week and a half.

That said, I think AU are confident they can take all 3 points. We will have to do it without Tito Villalba who took a knock on his knee and will sit (if he even makes the trip). Expect to see Dion Pereira in his place. He is a 20 year that has seen limited playing time, but has been impressive when he gets in. He is also fast, which is Villalba's biggest asset. If Pereira doesn't get the call then new comer Justin Meram will fill in for Villalba.

We are also missing our best offensive player this year, Ezequiel Barco, who is off on international duty at the U20 WC. Our splashy off season DP signing Pity Martinez will take Barco's CAM role. Pity has shown flashes of brilliance this season but hasn't been dominating. Because of the high expectations and his expensive price tag 5 Stripes fans are getting a little restless. To be fair, he is replacing a very special player in Miguel Almiron. Hopefully for us, he'll have a break out game tomorrow night.

Anyway, cheers and good luck!

RSLer repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're definitely catching you on a favorable schedule to us: we have an extra day's rest plus no travel compared to whatever ridiculous route the league plotted for AUFC. Crazy town on that front.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what RSL is known for...
    Weather in the valley is pretty chilly today with humidity in the air. Chances of rain are low for gametime but that's been the case all week and, well, yesterday I drove through some of the craziest rain I've ever seen.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @15 to 32 surprise, Plata is on the bench.

Same lineup as the one that beat Toronto, and why not? Still no Beckerman on the bench, but Putna is back after an absence.

Rimando

Herrera Glad Onuoha Toia

Besler Kreilach

Rusnak

Savarino Baird Bofo

Bench: Putna, Silva, Lennon, Luiz, Portillo, Plata, Johnson

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    With an abbreviation like AUFC, they really ought to play up the gold in their color scheme. #chemistrynerd

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Forget all that stuff I said about Pity Martinez having a break out game... apparently he'll be starting on the bench. Shows how much I know.

And Gandalf, it is only AUFC when we get three. When we don't the plastics call it FdB's club.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I really like your stadium. I've visited Salt Lake many times, but always for skiing. I need to come back and watch a match there.

RSLer repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Unfortunately, skiing and watching an RSL v AUFC game while being able to ski won't happen very often. This year..... it just dumped another foot yesterday.

16. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking dangerous! Dives clearly work with El Official. I’m feeling a goal from Baird to match one from Martinez

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Took the family for Christmas 2017.... no snow. 2018 you get dumped on. Guess that is why they call me Mister Lucky.

18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Honestly, Xmas is usually too early for good snow here. Better to wait for Mid-January to March.

But yeah. 2017 was BRUTAL.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like what I've seen over the first 20.

rslfanboy repped this.
  20. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Dude, where's my cleat?

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The hard part was I am the only one that knows how to ski and I picked SLC because you are famous for snow. I figured there would be lots of easy slopes for them to learn on. Man was I wrong. Few runs open and a lot of ice. I think they thought I was trying to punish them.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was his cleat off before the (non) foul? That was odd.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Story of our season. If you can prevent a 1st half goal your golden.

24. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besler playing surprisingly well.

25. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    How has there not been a card issued yet?