RSL 2019 Game 1: Salt Lake at Houston, Sat. 2 Mar. 4 pm MST

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 25, 2019.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The video I linked in the other thread with Petke made it sound like we'll see the lineup that was out there against Portland with maybe 1 change.

I'm not expecting a ton of Sam Johnson, but it sounded like the only reason he didn't play against Portland (or dress) was his rolled ankle. Petke said "I'm just happy to finally have a number 9" which would be a weird thing to say about a guy you don't plan on using in that spot that is desperately needs a player...

From what I've seen of Luiz he isn't the guy to play in a 4-1-4-1. Sunny was more than he or KB. Maybe I'm wrong on this, though, and Luiz can pull it off. Time will tell. It would also require Petke to part ways with KB as a starter and (what really needs to happen to make this happen) as captain. In fact, I'm hoping we see someone else with the armband by May

2. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Who takes over as captain?

3. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the truth is I keep wanted Luiz to be Konte...

I agree on KB and the armband. I don't know who takes over but I hope it isn't Rimando. Nothing against Rimando but I'm never a fan of Keeper Captains and giving it to Rimando feels like it has more to do with how long he has been here than how Captain-y his is. Is it too early for Kreilach? I think he gets my vote.

4. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Early in the season, legitimate scientific studies prove that LifeVantage cures both cancer and diabetes. For being an early supporter, RSL is given an obscene amount of money which they turn around and give to LA in trade for Ibrahimovic. Then Zlatan gets the armband.

Allez RSL and El-ahrairah repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreilach
    Though that becomes complicated in a starting XI selection

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Zlatan tells LA that he wants to be traded to RSL because Utah has the best fry sauce. And green jello. And funeral potatoes. And "the sun in the summer and winter time the skiing is great yeah"

7. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    IMO that lineup would get killed defensively. A common criticism of both Plata and Sava are that they fail to provide the defensive support when the team turns the ball over. This formation in the midfield (whether flat, staggered or a diamond) demands that aspect to be a strength from those positions, which I don't see ever being the case. Bofo is a bit stronger along those lines. Jordan Allen (if he still exists) does this well, but is unlikely to see the field much. Lennon also does this well when playing midfield.

I like the idea of Kreilach playing a 2nd forward, likely on the left channel which is where he naturally floats, with Rusnak with the ball at his feet while in open space advancing towards the penalty area and Saucedo (my preference over Plata) on one wing and Sava on the other. From an attacking point, that's very intriguing. I just worry about what it does to this team defensively (which is already shaky).

8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onuoha over Glad imo.

Regarding Johnson and Luiz, there was an interview with Beltran last week in which he was asked “Hey you’ve seen Johnson and Luiz every day in practice. What’s it like facing those guys?” He replied, to the effect of “Well they are new and it takes a while to play at your best in a new system”. I had to cringe.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not in a form that can play any sort of soccer

10. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 to 32 repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats what I was referring to.
    This is heartbreaking for Jordan. The guy has loads of talent but his body won't maintain a level of health required to match it. I liked the part in the article about supporting him as he regains his health. It's also time to say he needs to be off the first team roster. I think Jordan is mature enough to know this, too. If he could go a year on the Monarchs it would be ideal for everyone. If that doesn't work, I'd like to see him involved in the academy to pro process. He has a good head on him.

I say that because my friend who used to be on the Monarchs and trained with the first team said, of all the academy products that came through, Jordan was far and away the most mature. He's a smart guy who wants to be involved in the community and knows that the platform of an athlete is something that should be used. Having him step in with the academy as a teacher/mentor/coach would be so incredibly smart.

Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  12. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    #37 kirsoccer, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    With Glad out with a broken toe (per his dad), I think you'll get your wish. Not sure I love Onuoha and Silva together.

1101660642413629442 is not a valid tweet id

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s not good. Justen is our only quality depth at CB.

14. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have been to two away openers in the past 3 years, this trip to Houston will mark number three. Both previous matches ended in a draw, so perhaps a point today is in the cards.

15 to 32, rslfanboy, Allez RSL and 2 others repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game day!

goobx1 and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  16. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going to say the same thing, @Ismitje! d230918.jpeg

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    What about Besler?

I kid.

18. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction

19. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton Luiz should already be out of the game. That was an ugly foul, easily a red card IMO - he's lucky to have gotten a yellow.

RSLer repped this.
  21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Hey. We didn't concede a goal in the first 10 minutes? That's not bad.

It's not great. But it's not bad.

22. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle keeping pace with Luiz on fouls, fouls on Martinez, and yellow cards.

The_Team repped this.
  23. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t think so at first, but seeing that step on the back of the ankle before getting the leg in was bad—even if possibly unintentional.

24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allez RSL repped this.
  25. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rimando is going to dribble like an outfield player (maybe he shouldn’t?), his teammates need to make sure he knows when someone is behind him. Let’s NOT lose on something dumb.