RSL 2019-20 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 23, 2019.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Yura came back and made a lot more money than when he was here the first time. He made an improvement.

BalanceUT repped this.
  2. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    "A complete list of Expansion Draft-eligible players will be released Nov. 16."

Any chance we might have a GM or coach to help make these decisions, or did DLH always take care of these by himself?

Allez RSL repped this.
  3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Unless you count academy players leaving for college or abroad, isn't the sample size pretty small?

Findley
    Espindola
    Jamison
    Horst
    Wingert
    Yura
    Toia
    Sebastian

who else?

Allez RSL repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint Mathis
    Luis Silva

. . . and maybe Danny Acosta soon as I can't imagine Orlando will keep him but I don't know the status of his contract.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PumaJohnny and RSLer repped this.
  6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I miss is the tremendous professionalism the team enjoyed under Lagerway, Kreis, and Manning.

What we need is someone with enough gravitas to stand up to and manage DLH's micro-management impulses. If I saw that I'd buy season tickets again.

Positives for Kreis: He did well at identifying players who contributed. He's someone who faces reality and does not make excuses.

I don't know who else is in the pool. Our front office resembles the White House in many ways. Lots of drama, lots of departures. Nouveau-Riche property-rich narcissist at the helm. Nobody sane wants to work there.

goobx1 repped this.
  7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Kreis had a job with Inter Miami? Why would he be interested in any job with RSL when he's got that going?

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter Miami + the US Men's Olympic Team. So he ain't coming just to be coach.

goobx1 and BalanceUT repped this.
  9. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Whether a head coach or GM role with RSL, either would trump an assistant coach role with Miami. Hard to argue either from a career move standpoint. Still a number of factors that would point against this happening, but nothing that definitively would rule it out.

10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monarchs upset top seed Phoenix Rising and get to host the Western Conference Finals against El Paso on Saturday at 1 pm MST. Might be worth a ticket.

PumaJohnny and RSLer repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luke Mulholland and Justin Portillo started at center mid in the game against Phoenix. Thats... just wow.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 of 12 who played were people I would want playing there: Ochoa (18), Arriaga (18), Powder (21), Martinez (22), Schmitt (22), and Holt (23). Blake at 25 would be the wily veteran of the bunch, so I guess 7 of 12.

13. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I noticed this to. Maybe its a sign the organization is turning the corner when it comes to how they're using the Monarchs for player development.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chang is 28 and was starting up top. Plewa (27) and Ryden (28) in the back next to Holt also made the average age of the defense for the Monarchs (26) older than that of RSL (25) against Seattle.

To be fair, the average age was around 21/22 for the game. So that is certainly an improvement. I still hold firmly that the team shouldn't play more than one or two players above the age of 23 and should have a requirement to field/roster so many academy products. But, yeah, I guess you could say this was (hopefully) a step in the right direction.

15. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Seems like a good place to mention that 4 FC Dallas homegrowns are training at Bayern Munich this offseason.

All 4 are signed to first team contracts. There's a direct connection between the teams who are willing to sign young players to the first team and/or USL teams and the teams who don't lose talent to Europe.

We're about to have 0 players on the MLS 22 under 22 list. For a club that talks up our academy so much, it's notable how much ground we've lost in the past 4-5 years.

RSLer, Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #66 15 to 32, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    At what time will we lose the "play your kids" mantra? The 97s are now 22, will turn 23 or be 23 next season. That's still "young" but by no means a "kid".

When will Vazquez and Arriaga break the 18? Who in the current academy is worth looking at? Who is at college that we should have signed before (see Herrera/Baird) but will hopefully bring in and make a difference?

17. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I'd say we already have. We almost tied for last in U20 minutes this year. The only reason we didn't finish with 0 is that Arriaga got a handful of garbage time minutes.

15 to 32 repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @irondeepbicycle who from the 98-02 classes have we missed out on? We know the big names like Soto, but I'm curios who we've been missing that was on the level of like a Herrera or Bofo

19. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    I haven't followed this as closely as in the past but I know a handful in those ranges who probably could have gotten first-team deals.

98 was a fairly weak year in general. Best candidate is probably Tanner Dieterich, who used to be pretty reliably involved with the YNTs. He's a senior at Clemson now, and splits time between CB and DM. He's probably got a decent shot at a HG contract this offseason. Marco Gonzalez, MF, has been fairly strong for UNLV. CB Nick Barriero is a consistent starter for Schellas Hyndman's team at GCU.

99 had some strong candidates. Biggest is Milan Iloski who I've mentioned before, and I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a HG offer this winter. Outside of Milan, Glady Mendoza, LB, and Erik Virgen, CM, were both pretty reliable call-ups for YNTs who went to the NCAA - Mendoza has been playing this year with UCF, and Virgen played his freshman year at UNM, then he went pro with FC Tucson.

Another 99, Alex Vedimanikam, went to Europe already and kicked around the lower leagues a bit. He'd probably be a good Monarchs signing.

00 the big names are Soto and Ledezma, but outside of them, Sam Tojaga has started almost every game for 2 years for a really good Akron team - he started in the last College Cup as a true freshman. Delentz Pierre played a little with the Monarchs already, now he's starting as a freshman for Portland. Pierre and Tojaga are probably players to consider signing.

A couple 01s to watch are probably Bryce Duke, who went to the Barca academy but who we still have HG rights for, and Ben Ortiz who is playing with Pierre at Portland. We missed Booth, but already signed Ochoa, Arriaga, and Vasquez from that cohort, so we haven't missed as much from this class.

UofRSL, RSLer, Ivensor and 3 others repped this.
  20. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    In terms of who to sign, I'd say literally anyone I mentioned in the last post would be a good Monarchs signing.

For first team signings this year, definitely Iloski. If we signed anyone else, my best guess is it would be among Dieterich, Pierre, or Tojaga.

We could also consider Jordan Pena or Steve Jasso, both of which actually got signed to the Monarchs... though they played sparingly. Baby steps I guess.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My little brother is an 01. Doesn't play for the academy - he plays for a club team. Watching their state cup that just wrapped up was really inspiring. The level of play in this state continues to rise and is fun. There were multiple kids in the tournament (across the age groups: 04-01) that shocked me as not being linked to the academy. Seems the bar to get in is either really high or the academy selling point isn't for everyone.

22. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. UofRSL

UofRSL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Speaking of Dieterich. He's Clemson's captain and has played almost every minute this year. He played CB for us in the academy but has played almost exclusively DM for Clemson this season, and has discovered a creative touch with 8 assists and 3 goals.

Clemson is ranked #2 in the country and is about to go #1 after Washington was upset yesterday. This is after being unranked coming into the season.

Just for the sake of making dumb predictions that won't be correct, I'll predict now that we'll make 2 HG signings this offseason, and it'll be Iloski (who is still leading the NCAA in goals) and Dieterich.

rslfanboy, RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States