RSL 2019-20 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allez RSL repped this.
  2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a scary feeling our new coach will be Kreis.

3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I'm going to be eaten alive for asking this, but: why are 100% of you against the idea of Kreis? When he left, we were sad to see him go. We were pissed at DLH, honestly, for not getting him his contract sooner. He was the most successful this club has seen in its short history.

1. Is it because of his lackluster performance since he left?
    2. Is it because people attribute much of his success to Lagerway?
    3. Is it fear of the diamond, which left us vulnerable to people who had figured it out?
    4. If I recall, he was prone to inflexibility in terms of which players saw the field, failing to really develop the youth. An I remembering that correctly?

All I see is a 100% upgrade in the GM role. (#Yura #Poolboy) Help me understand, peeps, so I'm better educated.

RSLer, jessyca, DrownedElf and 1 other person repped this.
  4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Because of his stupid cry kids

Ivensor, 15 to 32, jessyca and 4 others repped this.
  5. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of the above for me. While I was sad to see him go at the time, looking back it seems like it was for the best. I'm not sure he would've been able to rebuild the team, and it seems like his coaching style has been figured out, and he's not good at adjusting in game to counter the other team.

I think he could be good in the GM role, because he was able to find some good talent.

Overall though, I kind of want to see us go with someone else. It feels like far too often we let people go, then bring them back a few years later. Has anyone come back to the organization and been an improvement over when they left? I can't really think of anyone offhand.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember earlier this season (or last season?) he "retired" from doing the radio stuff. Would love to have him back on the boards. He was a thoughtful poster and a great human being in person, too!

pcny repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bite:

1. Is it because of his lackluster performance since he left?
    This doesn't inspire confidence, does it? NYC was the most ideal job as a coach and he really didn't look like he took advantage of what was given to him. Then Orlando was... well Orlando. The more we watch that club the more it feels like the Cleveland Browns and it truly doesn't matter who is in charge.

2. Is it because people attribute much of his success to Lagerway?
    My comment about bringing back Lagerway was mostly tongue-in-cheek. Seattle isn't letting him go. He doesn't want to leave. I don't think coaching is our biggest thing preventing us from being successful, though. It certainly isn't as good as it could be, but the GM role has been lacking in a lot of ways. To that point, I really am not a fan of the idea of having a coach before a GM.

3. Is it fear of the diamond, which left us vulnerable to people who had figured it out?
    I would hope for Jason's sake that he doesn't play so rigidly anymore. There have been a lot of comments from players and fans about how well organized Kreis's team's were. How you knew who needed to be where in different scenarios. The good side of that is well defined responsibilities for players. The bad side is how easy it makes the team to scout. I'd be fine if he played his diamond before if he also has shown an ability to adjust within the game or to certain opponents styles.

4. If I recall, he was prone to inflexibility in terms of which players saw the field, failing to really develop the youth. An I remembering that correctly?
    During Kreis last or second to last season I had the opportunity to go to a dinner where he presented to a bunch of the youth club coaches in the valley. The original idea being for him to pass along some knowledge and tips. That didn't take the full time and it turned into a Q&A about the squad at the time. He was very candid about how, with how little depth he perceived in the club, his hands were tied to play certain players. He named Espindola the most, and hinted at others. To me this went in complete contrast with his earlier statements (from the training that night_ about giving players equal opportunity to earn playing spots. At the end of the day, he has to play to win and he still felt that he had to go with a player like Espy over someone who worked their ass off in training all week. What I took away from that was that he truly was a bit inflexible and his track record with not playing younger players was more proof of it.

DrownedElf, RSLer, Allez RSL and 2 others repped this.
  8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    For me the allure to bring back JK is rather tempting if only for curiosity sake. I do find the possibility rather intriguing in many ways.

Has JK learned from his other opportunities?

Would his return mean that he has much more sway and authority over what happens with the team enough to counter the influence and meddling of DLH?

I think that would be part of the allure for him. Come back to a place that he said piss off to because the owner didn't really know what he was doing and now finding himself in the drivers seat by the same owner that doesn't want to keep making the same mistakes? Redemption is a great motivator and story.

That's reading a whole heck of a lot into absolutely nothing admittedly. For JK to come back in my mind his amount of control over what happens has to be key or why jump back into the fire?

To be honest I would like RSL to bring in someone totally outside the club past or present but if the choice is JK or Freddy give me JK.

pcny, CameraMonkey, wrennywren and 5 others repped this.
  9. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why it might work out:
    • As a GM he may know how to "work with" DLH. By that I mean I think he has the moxie to tell DLH to shove it, and because of the past history, DLH might just listen.
    • As a coach, he hasn't been playing a diamond with the U-23s if my memory serves me correctly. So maybe he has developed tactically.
    Why I hate the idea:
    • It really feels like DLH doesn't have a clue what he is doing so he is trying to go back to when things were working.

BalanceUT, RSLer, Allez RSL and 2 others repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much this. That this is even supposedly being explored begs these questions:
    • Did DLH swallow some of his 2013 pride and admit to Jason that he low-balled him?
    • Did JK eat crow about his worth and realize that, in the big picture, a steady job here is better than one in that kind of market?
    • Was the U23 camp in Herriman as a recruiting trip or was it just coincidence?
    • Is JK seriously considering the GM role after years of doing coaching? If so, what makes him think he'll be successful in that role?

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    For 1, 2 and 3 I would think the answer could possibly be yes.

Yes DLH swallowed some pride. That would be a great start.
    Yes I bet JK definitely realized the grass isn't always greener or maybe his wife came to a similar conclusion.
    I doubt that was a coincidence in Herriman.

For the last one I heard from my source deep inside, kinda, the RSL office that JK was interviewing for the President position and not GM. He emphasized it was for the role of President and/or Coach.

I found that a bit interesting. JK as President might not be that bad of role for him.

Just thought I would throw that out there. My source has been pretty spot on with stuff.

pcny, UofRSL, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  12. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    That's the most (only?) encouraging aspect of the JK return I've heard yet. If DLH is considering re-organizing with a president, maybe he recognizes that he can't do that job and needs to find someone knowledgeable and capable to do it for him.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club announced their Club Award Winners this past week for the 2019 season.
    • MVP: Everton Luiz
    • Golden Boot: Albert Rusnak
    • Defender of the Year: Aaron Herrera
    • Humanitarian of the Year: Kyle Beckerman
    I'd be curious if you guys agree or think these should have gone differently. Obviously the golden boot is objective, but the rest are pretty subjective, with possibly the exception of Humanitarian of the Year.

For me, Savarino was the MVP this year. I don't have any angst with Everton getting the nod, though the timing after his red card to end the season isn't a great image. But, for me, Savarino was the player we had the hardest time to replace and consistently came through when we needed him to. His goal against Portland really summed up what he meant to the team.

Defender of the Year was a tight one, I imagine. Onuhoa was really really good for us and I think would have been a worthy winner. Giving this to an academy grad looks good for optics and Herrera certainly didn't just fall into the award, he earned it.

What do you guys think?

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    • MVP: Everton Luiz
    • Golden Boot: Albert Rusnak
    • Defender of the Year: Aaron Herrera
    • Humanitarian of the Year: Kyle Beckerman
    I like Everton as the MVP. It must be for a reason and I think it would come from his consistency and being a definite leader on the field.

There certainly is an argument for Savarino to be the MVP but I wonder if
    Everton was a greater force in keeping this team together through all of the crap that transpired. He did come through with some very timely goals but often his play was selfish when a timely pass could have been just as valuable as trying to make the play on his own. Just thinking out loud.

So wanted Sam to win the golden boot.

A a ron as defender of the year is fine with me although Needum is a close second. I imagine locking down his spot all year was helpful in A a ron getting the nod, deservedly.

No real thoughts on the humanitarian of the year. Hopefully it was close between a lot of the players on the team.

What about other awards for the season?

Most concerts attended-Nick Rimando He was busy from his posts on instagram.

Longest shot out of the stadium-Bofo, of course. He also won most head fakes to the left and cut backs to the right award.

Best flopper-Damir, it was a run away win for him.

Best impression of a Matador-Toia

It was a tie for worst subbing ability.

I could go on but, why?

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    So when can RSL announce they have hired a new GM, President and Coach? Is there a window or date that they have to wait for before making hires and announcements?

Asking for a friend.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    60-90 days

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I laughed out loud.

Thank you.

18. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easier to say when you are employed at a jobe that you are paid what you are worth HC/GM level

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jobe? you mean gob
    [​IMG]

Lizzie Bee and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  20. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  21. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Great! Now "The Final Countdown" will be stuck in my head all night long.

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BalanceUT repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its a halloween song so that works

Allez RSL repped this.
  24. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    No real chance of it happening anyway. Just always wanted to see him play in person. I guess I can still do that if he signs with a different team.

15 to 32 repped this.
  25. CameraMonkey

CameraMonkey Member

Real Salt Lake
    Aug 1, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *cough*Donny Toia*cough*

goobx1 repped this.