RSL 2018 Game 18 Thread: Salt Lake Vs Kansas City, Wed. 4 July 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by andyslc, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    It really was a strange game but overall fun to watch. I'll take a win no matter how it comes.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  3. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, how have we not talked about the irony of the baritone southern cowboy forgetting the words to the national anthem on the 4th of July? That was an ill omen for me, figured we were doomed at that point and the early goal confirmed it. I was blown away at the 4-2 result.

15 to 32, UPinSLC and goobx1 repped this.
  4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I thought Silva did really well this game. He held up the ball and kept possession several times where I thought we would normally lose it. Also, I think he's gotta be among the best at pk's in league history. Right up there with Jaime Moreno.

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and the fighter jet flyover that was about 5 minutes too late, ominous prologue to the game for sure.

6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how many positive games without KB starting will it take to get the point across that he shouldn't be starting?

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    All of them.

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Lizzie Bee repped this.
  9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the most fun game this year. It had the things I dream of.

10. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have wondered, why is the fighter jet flyover not down the middle of the field? Instead it is over the east stand or even outside the stadium.

Also the timing why not right after the anthem. Some years it has been during warmups

Other than PR purposes, the air force says it likes to hit a time and location mark for flyover as it has a combat training application.

11. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just let me know if I should put signs out for Petkes commute

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DLH’s commute would be more productive.

13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait for the day when the flyover is done by Reaper drones since they are the planes that are doing the most actual "kill the bad guys" work for the Air Force these days.

[​IMG]

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they should just play the music and let the fans sing the anthem. I've always thought this but the more screws up we've had this year, the more I'm willing to be vocal about it.

15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm pretty sure the flyover wasn't for RSL. They just happened to fly over the stadium by coincidence. My wife pointed out that they were probably headed to the Stadium of Fire event in Provo.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entirely possible. It is low enough for a fly over. I was in line for a snack when I saw them fly back to base after the Provo and the planes were significantly higher in altitude

17. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accurate. They always do a flyover for Stadium of Fire. They went right over us in Orem.

18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

19. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see a release of rescued Herons or something, or a flyover from a scientific observation ship.

Our needless perpetuation of warrior culture only fans the flames of scarcity-based-fear and ignorance and creates unnecessary conflict - as we debate the application of a flawed definition of "possession" of resources shared by everything in the entirety of the Gaia ecosystem.

We have a long ways to go as a species. Plants, animals, and entire cultures were here long before us...and they'll be here after us if we don't find a better way to merge our individualism into something resembling collective ecosystems...maybe tech will help us eliminate scarcity and imagine something else...or maybe it won't.

DrownedElf and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  20. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    My money is on nope, the grass wins. The University of Oxford just released a report saying that there is a 50% chance that we are alone in the entire observable universe.

Tech seems to only be exacerbating the problem. Greed is greed no matter who and how well intended humans try to be. Currently 8 people hold as much wealth has the bottom 3.6 billion people on the planet, not encouraging.

But hey, RSLTID!

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Department Of Defense actually pays the event organizers in most cases to do the flyovers and to have the ‘patriotic’ large flag roll-outs, etc... it’s advertising/recruiting and they have quite a budget for it.

Unfortunately it will take an environmental group or some other sponsor to pay enough to do what you suggest.

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always found it ridiculous that the anthem is even a thing at a sporting event. I get it for the 4th of July, and the Olympics, but other than that it has no place in sports. It's stupid that our tax dollars can be spent by the military to advertise in a sporting event.

BalanceUT repped this.
  23. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the fact that we now have an all-volunteer army, they have to advertise somewhere and I don't see them spending money to advertise on Oprah.

24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I enjoy it when they arrange for a serviceman to surprise their family at some of them. I also like the flyovers.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A by-product of the volunteer army was the speeded up citizenship process for immigrants who volunteer. Now the Army is discharging immigrant soldiers short of the time required for citizenship.