RSL 2018 Game 18 Thread: Salt Lake Vs Kansas City, Wed. 4 July 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by andyslc, Jul 2, 2018.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a seriously ugly second half.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    People complain about Geiger?

That was utter nonsense in middle with that ref tonight.

I absolutely detest the way FUKC plays futbol. They are the Colombia of MLS. what a shit show.

Also on the RSL side, FIND YOUR GD TEAMMATE! Yes the young guys did wellish tonight but RSL should have had 10 effing goals tonight if the just opened their eyes.

I would be ripping this team up one side and down the other for giving FUKC any hope in this game.

Rusnák? WTF? Put the game away for crying out loud!

I’m more pissed at this win than I was for the loss to CBus.

Get this team together Petke.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m watching the dvr of the game. That was a nice goal by Jefferson Savarino. Shit. It goes against my narrative.

BalanceUT repped this.
  4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That shot by Bofo just before the half was from his favorite spot!

BalanceUT repped this.
  5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first half was great!!!! We are up 3-1 over the hated SKC??? I literally cannot ask for more.

6. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007

7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    For those watching on TV, there were 3 calls that were controversial from the stands but I didn't have the greatest of views - any insight into what you saw? First, both of the penalties called - DOGSO or no? I thought the first one was from my vantage point. And what about 2nd SKC goal - offside?

8. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That was definitely one of the worst managed games this year and we still won 4-2 against KC.
    Soccer is great sometimes.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m the 64th SKC have more in the attack than we have defending. SKC goal. Not acceptable

10. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to really complain about anything in a 4-2 win over SuKC, but why the hell was Silva subbed on? Dude is straight up worthless, slow as ********, and couldn't finish in a brothel with a million dollars. I'd have put money on him missing the penalty if I were in Vegas, taking Baird off for him made zero sense. Also, having KB, Kreilach, and Sunny in the same area of the field at the same time is grounds for firing, seriously stupid.

RSL had so many golden chances to put this away in the second half, but the inability to make a simple through pass and the inability to calmly finish made the game more stressful than it needed to be. All well, good win in the end. Also, ******** KC.

11. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect, luckily.

Seriously sad I missed this game. I was trying to watch during fireworks and it was stressful and fun simultaneously.

Oh, and FU KC.

RSLer repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So....we beat SKC, most hated MLS team, 4-2!!!

PumaJohnny repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, there has been a rule change: DOGSO outside the box is red, inside the box (if going for the ball) is PK and yellow. The last one was actually outside the box, so a red and a direct FK, but he put it in the box as a yellow and a PK. I can't imagine SKC wanted another player tossed and so didn't complain, but I am unsure why it wasn't overturned on VAR - it was clearly and obviously outside the box (he just fell inside the box).

I had the KC broadcast, and there was never an angle from the side to show if Opara was offside or not. Might've been, might not've been.

rslfanboy repped this.
  14. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOTM for me is Besler for getting subbed on and absorbing all of SKC's pent-up frustration and drawing 2 reds. It was like watching a punching bag win a boxing match.

Ismitje, RSL Punk 2, Todorojo and 6 others repped this.
  15. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    The replays I saw on the Opara goal showed him onside, or at the very least close enough not to change the call on the field.

Dunny did a post-game recap on the goals that he claimed shows Opara being on.

Ismitje and BalanceUT repped this.
  16. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    He literally shot it right at the keeper...was lucky it took a deflection. So, the narrative still fits, especially if you re-watch and see how many attacks died because his passing was horribly inaccurate. The 1 time he hit someone in the foot, RSL won a penalty.

RSLer repped this.
  17. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Game pretty much spoke for itself. After 25 minutes or so, RSL started to find Rusnak which opened up everything.

I agree that, with some experience, Baird would already be at 10+ goals. He makes good dangerous runs.

Silva is incredibly selfish at times. Unless all of RSL's forwards learn to reward runs with quality passes, you will see less and less runs to the box.

I seriously cannot figure out why Justin Glad has gone from wonderful with the ball at his feet out of the back to woeful.

Great shot by Bofo , helped out by Acosta's overlap. Bofo was smart enough to thank him for it.

Rusnak, the LAST pk you took you chipped. It's 2018 - GKs watch highlights.

FU KC. Dirty, dirty, dirty.

18. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm going to give a little credit to something FU KC related for this game:

To summarize their BigSoccer comments on the game, as to both the play and the insanity of the red-cards, "what the F#$% was that?"

When even your own fans think you've lost the plot, perhaps something is very wrong?

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess if KC wants to play like goons, then they shouldn't be surprised when all those yellow cards come back to bite them in the ass at the end of the game. Fun Fact: The ref dished out 7 yellow cards and 2 red cards (one a straight red) to KC but RSL only had two yellow cards.

Sounds like one team came to play soccer and the other team thought that they were playing ice hockey.

RSLer repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I feel bad for anyone who had to sit in the sun during this game. Jesus ******** was it hot out. The shade was tolerable
    2. I loathe people that show up to sporting events for the fireworks after. I get their a great recruiting opportunity, but some people are just... dumb
    3. The first 20ish minutes of this felt exactly like the Open Cup game against KC. They worked us. That they only scored once was a blessing. Had they been more dangerous, the game could have been out of hand before we woke up.
    4. But holy hell did we wake up. That was some of the best soccer I've seen from RSL in the latter part of the first half. The movement was fluid, the connecting play was really fun to watch, and the ability to hit the break with speed was awesome.
    5. It is funny to read comments about Baird and how, if he had more experience, he would be a top level striker. How exactly do y'all propose he gets that experience? This is ideal. I love that he is out there, still bagging goals, and growing. We should welcome this, not be mad about him missing chances here and there.
    6. Bofo's goal might be one of my favorite goals this team has scored in a long while. Especially because of the run Danny Acosta made. It confused the entire back line for KC and created that opening Bofo wanted. And my god, what a finish.
    7. And then the ref blew the halftime whistle and for whatever reason this team decided to take their foot off the pedal and fall asleep.
    8. My complaint with the Opara goal isn't the close offside call (from my angle he looked on) it was the tackle by Espinoza that lead to it. Acosta and he both went in really hard with studs showing. That nothing was called, at all, was so bizarre. That said, everyone save Glad pretty much just stopped on the play. That's totally unacceptable.
    9. Then things got really weird. I can't really point to any one player or instance that caused things to go sidways like they did, but that was a weird ass half of soccer.
    10. Sunny should always start. I don't care who else is in their with him, he should always start.
    11. Subbing in Besler and KB was redundant and invited KC to attack. I didn't love that. I would have rather seen Plata out there to run at the high line KC was pulling. By subbing in Silva we even further played into that setup. Dumb moves by Petke
    12. Rusnak will get flak for his paneka attempt but I'm fine with it. It's the risk/reward of that pk take. He perfectly hit that thing. I mean it was right at Melia's head. Live and learn.
    13. This team really should watch tape on Barelona for one very specific play - the ability to get to the endline and then hit that diagonal ball against the grain to a trailing run. I call that the Barca ball when I coach because that team does it so well and so often. I want to see it more with RSL
    14. For all the shit I give Silva, that was a hell of a pk. Kudos
    15. Rotation saturday is a must. Dallas will be a good test for this team. Hopefully Petke doesn't go all slow bodies like he did here

21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Always look forward to your thoughts 15.

Can't agree more on Baird. The guy is a player. He has decent speed and more than anything has a good head on his shoulders from the looks of it. I made a point to watch him in the box in the second half and he doesn't back down at all. KC, Opara in particular, was trying to intimidate him and he was having none of it, and was standing his ground and pushing back.

I was also excited to see Sava and Bofo score. After the score Bofo went back to sending balls into space but live and learn.

Don't get the subs much either for this game other than I like Besler. That's a solid MLS player right there. Probably not an All-Star or anything but rather a solid, solid, solid professional that you need plenty of on your team. Wingert-esque if you will.

Here is my biggest complaint for how RSL is playing at the moment and I would put this directly on Petke. This team is still too selfish. Bofo, Sava, Silva, and eve Baird need to find the open team mate making the unmarked run into the box on occasion.

How many times did they have the opportunity to put the game away with a simple pass only to take a shot with 3 players on them? They are all guilty. I think that's down to coaching. Yes you want strikers that are unafraid take the shot but if just one time they make that pass it will keep the defenders more honest, like the run from Acosta on the Bofo goal.

Right now the defenders know that none of the RSL forwards are really interested in finding a team mate which at the end of last season was definitely not the case. They were almost too unselfish. The pendulum and has swung the other way. A couple of tap ins from a simple pass on the breakaway and acres of space will open up. Coach them up Mike.

One other gripe for the midfield, reward a run once in awhile. I don't know how many times Baird made runs that a simple through ball would/could have rewarded. It's almost like they've been told not to send it through.

And start Sunny. He's earned it. I am amazed at the composure he has played with this year. His reckless challenges have almost been non existent.

RoyalNonesuch and RSLer repped this.
  22. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the criticism regarding selfish play and not passing off to an open man for the shot, but man-oh-man, how many times in the past have we all jumped up and yelled "JUST TAKE A SHOT!"? I'm much more comfortable with the missed shots, even the selfish ones, than I am with dinking around on the 18, running into a crowd and losing the ball.

rslfanboy, RSLer, TheBiff and 1 other person repped this.
  23. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I was totally oblivious to this rule change, but now I "remember".

24. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Feel like after the first half Petke did everything he could to lose the game but somehow ended up winning so he's going to pat himself on the back thinking he was right.

I like Silva but why the hell would you sub him in? What we needed too kill off the game was some speed to punish KC throwing everyone forward

15 to 32 repped this.
  25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problems with any of the shots that were taken, but I have problems with how many of them that were not on frame.