RSL 2018 Game 16 Thread: SJ Earthquakes @ Real Salt Lake, Sat. 23 June 8:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by andyslc, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely two dropped points given how the first 60 minutes went. After that, San Jose got into the game and outplayed us in 5-10 minute increments.

2. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That was pretty pathetic to watch at the end.

Props to SJ for the solid gameplan when plata came in, keeping possession rather than keeping 10 in the box really frustrated the team.

I figured it was done once Silva subbed in. I don't even hate Silva but that's gotta be the most obvious sign you can't think of any ideas.

Yes we got unlucky with some chances but I don't think you should just brush off tonight's performance because of that.

RSLer repped this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that fun to watch?

4. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it was not in anyway fun. We really do need a player up front that other teams if not fear, at least respect.

RSLer repped this.
  5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    RSL had absolutely no business giving up 2 points tonight.

One word to describe this game sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

I love Baird but for crying out loud find a striker that fits the system with some quality experience. Oh, and speed. At no point in any RSL game should a fat out of shape fan like me think, “hey, I think I could beat that guy Silva in a race to a donut”, but I’ll be damned I think that every week.

Bofo, mother freaking Bofo. Put a the Mother effing shot on frame once in awhile! And quit your stupid gamesmanship and just play soccer.

I love that this team is playing some young talented players but their inexperience in understanding how to play with more bite and conviction is frustrating. This is a game a more disciplined and experienced team wins handily. They don’t take any of SJ’s BS and put this game to bed long before they even think they have a chance to be in the game.

Sign a striker. Make a trade or something. There’s got to be a team that could use a savvy vet like Silva where he would actually fit their system. Do something Waibel.

RSLer repped this.
  6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rusnak and Silva both doing a Brandt impression...

7. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, for me, it's about Glad's injury.

8. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    No, we're hot garbage I swear! :D

9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Root canal is fun in comparison.

rslfanboy repped this.
  10. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing notable about my game day experience was seeing Craig Waible with some guy in section 1. He left between the two goals.

11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    No. I left the game after the first goal. I must have heard the 2nd as we were getting into the car.

I've never left a game early before. Just bad.

Beerking repped this.
  12. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I thought it was just me being spoiled by World Cup. Sad to hear I wasn't the only one bored. It got so bad, I started being annoyed by my surroundings. Drums, crying children, chatty neighbors (about anything but the game), etc. I was just wanting the game to end and I kept thinking, "I'm paying money to be here."

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m watching the recorded game. For background, I have managed to not learn how the game went nor the outcome. At halftime was strikes me is how awful our strikers are at a) controlling the first touch, and b) putting the ball on frame. It’s been a half of us getting the ball into and near the SJE box and either losing the ball or sending it way over the goal. We have completely outplayed them and have “0” to show for it.

14. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will apologize if it was my group,
    as for the game the karate group was something, better kicks than our forwards. Too much mercy and no leg sweeping for my taste.

15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second half is better after 10 minutes, although Bofo’s follow-up shot was pretty bad.

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance was pretty weak. Lots of empty seats on the east side.

17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t decide if Severino is just on the wrong club or if he should be in the USL.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The loss of Glad hurt. I’m not sure SJE would have scored there if Glad was in.

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarino finally controls and places a good shot on goal, but the keeper deflects it.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well. 1-1. Basically a win for SJE. There’s no excuse for us coming away with only one goal against that defense. I’m sticking to my theme that this is RSL’s biggest weakness.

goobx1 repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That hurt, but it doesn’t excuse our lack of goals.

rslfanboy repped this.
  22. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    MLS Doyle's take was spot on. The 1st half San Jose didn't even bother to try and attack so the geriatric pairing was not too problematic defensively. As soon as they gave up the goal, San Jose attacked right up the gut. Frankly, RSL was lucky to not give up a 2nd.

Sava is now where all good attacks go to die. It is extremely painful to watch after he was so effective last year. Between bad touches, missed passes and inexplicably poor decision making in the final 1/3, he should not be starting.

My personal opinion to put the team in its best position to compete and win now, is to slide Rusnak to the right wing (where he actually plays for his national team), let Krielach play as the 10 / withdrawn forward, and have Sunny help Kyle. Let all of our wingers compete for the left wing until they are in form again.

Oh, and Plata likely landed himself on the bench if anyone on the coaching staff saw his incredibly poor giveaway on a square pass that led to a numbers up break for San Jose. The pass was bad. The fact Plata, as a fresh sub, made NO effort at all too recover should keep him off the field. No coach will accept that attitude and Petke seems to have even less patience for it than most.

I'm more forgiving of Bofo than most it appears. He is playing with more confidence every game. But, like our other young forwards, his decision making in the final 1/3 is crap. I'm rather see Rusnak with the ball on his foot in dangerous areas making the key decisions than any of the young 3.

i am placing blame for the tie / lost points 70-30 on coaching. The team was not set up to score as Petke is relying too much on inexperienced players who do not know how to score at the professional level. (Right now RSL's best pure goal-scorer is Krielach.) And, once the goal happened, Petke failed to adjust to the fact that San Jose would actually, you know, attack. You could drive a tank up the middle of RSL's midfield defense, especially on the counter. The wingers (especially Sava) get the player's 30%. I don't blame Kyle/Krielach for being old and slow.

TheBiff, RoyalNonesuch and RSLer repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be brief
    1. This means nothing to anybody here, but the Ford Zone isn't always hotdogs lately and that is good. However, how they are always so under prepared to serve the section amazes me. The line takes way too damn long.
    2. Imagine how happy this guy was to see KB and Kreilach in the starting lineup together again. One ********ing game in LA and Petke throws out everything he learned. What a joke.
    3. Our athletic training staff doesn't know how to treat concussions. Prove to me otherwise
    4. The first half was really boring. Baird should have finished his chance - the ball from Rusnak was amazing.
    5. The second half was marginally better but only because the game got more open through bad soccer.
    6. Plata was a complete and utter waste of a sub.
    7. We scored on a corner kick!!! Oh my god!!!
    8. The systematic design of having an inverted triangle in the midfield with KB being essentially the lone DMid is so so so ********ing stupid.
    9. Rusnak can murder a ball. Really sad that ball didn't bounce over the line.
    10. The SJ goal was a long time coming. I don't think we give up that goal with Sunny and/or Glad in the game.
    11. This team has evolved beyond Luis Silva. For all the great holdup and interchanging play he did last year, the team simply doesn't want to wait for his slow ass to get involved in the play.
    12. What a pathetic shot by Hosen at the end there. Especially after his cheeky finish on the goal.
    13. Rimando isn't bad, but vintage Rimando doesn't let the goal go in because he either a) pushes the ball wide and away from oncoming players or b) is quicker getting back up and bounces on the rebound.
    14. I sat the entire game. I am still in a boot from my broken foot but I've stood during a lot of the last few games. This one? Never felt a desire to.
    15. The summer transfer window will decide if this team is playoff worthy or not. I don't know if Waibel left himself any room to make moves but they're certainly needed. We all love what Baird does, but we need someone up top to count on.

24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post!

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on all points except, possibly, #2. First, I’m not sure Petke learned anything in the earlier stretch. Second, I don’t know if it matters. I have a serious belief that the KB decisions are made by someone higher up in the org chart than Petke.