RSL 2018-19 Offseason News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Nov 11, 2018.

1. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My probably true theory:

RSL put in an offer for Cano at the end of December when the news first broke, but Cano, wishing to prolong his near god-like livelihood at DIM, wanted to give the Medellin club an opportunity to either match, or at the very least come close to what RSL was willing to pay him. RSL, in desperate need of a CF and unwilling to be uses as negotiation bait, moved onto their contingency plan and began negotiations with Fran Sol. After a week or two of negotiations, RSL had finally come to terms with Sol and Medellin had finally come to terms with Cano. Just as ink was to hit paper, reports surfaced that Leeds - a team on the cusp of the premiership - were interested in Fran Sol, and Fran, seeing the opportunity to play in the EPL as the next logical step to footballing glory, couldn't let the opportunity pass. As negotiations with Sol collapsed before his eyes, Craig knew that another season without a CF was inexcusable and in an act of desperation intercepted Cano before he could finalize the deal with DIM and offered him an absurd amount of money to come play at RSL. Cano, in the twilight of his career, couldn't refuse and agreed to join RSL. This is why there were reports as late as yesterday evening claiming Cano had reached an agreement with DIM, but never signed. So congratulations everyone. Craig have gotten us a (seemingly) good CF.

tldr; Welcome to RSL Cano.

Lizzie Bee, Allez RSL and georg repped this.
  2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun and entertaining read, hope you got it right.

3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    His agent is saying that the club never budged from the salary amount he made this year, but they kept telling the media that they made a huge economical offer.

He also said that he repeatedly reached out to them, but little progress was made.

4. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
  5. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we enter another season offensively challenged. Good Job Waibel if this is true.

acima repped this.
  6. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this with Fran Sol

7. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Sooooo....SuperDraft today. Desperately trying to find a reason to care.

Have there been any draftees that mattered since Beltran?

I still haven't recovered since we passed on Roldan a few years ago.

8. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    We're picking 17th. From what I can tell, the last three 17th picks were Ryan Herman, Zeiko Lewis, and Justin Fiddes. None of them ever played an MLS game, and all 3 are out of the league now.

So if whoever we pick plays 1 MLS game ever, I'm considering that a success.

SenordrummeR2 and Ismitje repped this.
  9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two games within driving distance for me: March 16 at DCU and April 19 at FCC. Hmmm....

ajr_RSL and RSLer repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it means our team is that bad...

12. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Our first round pick is Sam Brown, a midfielder from Harvard. I'd never heard of him, and what I've gathered is that he's a defensive midfielder who can play center back if needed.

In the second round we picked Kyle Coffee, from the University of Washington because of course we had to draft someone from UW.

15 to 32 repped this.
  13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #363 Ismitje, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    He's also from Syracuse (UT) High School. That's a good pick if you're just going to burn it or get a guy for the Monarchs. You at least get some warm-feelies in the community and the press for it.

15 to 32, PumaJohnny, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  14. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Sounds like this is Plan C for RSL's 2019 attempt to acquire a forward at least on par with pool boy. Inspired?

15. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unless this is just the Luis Silva replacement I hope DLH kept his receipt on the Waibel renewal.

jessyca and ajr_RSL repped this.
  16. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    If this happens, RSL missed out on a guy with a $2.7M market value according to Transfermarkt (Cano), a guy with a $5.4M market value (Fran Sol), and this one has a $630K market value. By comparison, Alfredo Ortuno's current value is $700K. Color me less than impressed.

jessyca repped this.
  17. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we went from good, better to eh...

18. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the modern RSL way

ajr_RSL and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's supposed to be Silva, then great. But if he's supposed to be number one, then yikes.

20. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The last rumors are that our Fran #Sol would go to Dynamo Kiev. Now that he has just become a father and praised (health) care here, it seems unlikely that he is going to Ukraine now. But you never know in football ....

RSLer repped this.
  21. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Word came out yesterday that RSL was pursuing winger/attacking midfielder Mimoun Mahi from FC Groningen. The player was interested, but he is under contract and Groningen announced today that they would not part with the player.

ajr_RSL repped this.
  22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    They really should stop telling us about all the deals that didn't happen.

23. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Mahi might be a good player to keep an eye on, however. It doesn't sound like he intends to resign with Groningen. With his contract expiring this summer, could be a candidate for a summer transfer.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many wingers do we need? Unless we're ditching Plata, I don't see the need to be signing a new winger. (Yes, we should totally ditch Plata)

ajr_RSL repped this.
  25. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be fair, Savarino came in when we "didnt need another winger" and I'm happy he did. I'm currently not sold on Bofo unfortunately. I'd be happy to see Plata move on. Leaving us with last years rookie of the year and not much behind him.

goobx1 repped this.