RSL 2017 In-Season News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 4, 2017.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    You're good now. ;)

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  2. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    International Champions Cup...not clear who've they've invited yet, nor is the MU article clear whether the 'planned' games are part of this or independent of ICC.

RSLer repped this.
  3. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The "ex-season ticket holder survey"--asking if HC was a reason not to renew--makes you wonder who exactly threw that in now in hindsight. (Not to mention, if they now expect season ticket holders to return.)

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this is one way to call the bluff on people that said "I'll come back once you get rid of him"

RSLer repped this.
  5. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess someone saw that and was worried about the "fortune" they were going to miss out on. :)

6. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Too bad this didn't happen on March 15. So many Ides of March/Caesar/Cassar jokes wasted.

Such as:
    Waibel: "I come to replace Cassar, not to praise him."
    Cassar: "Et tu, Dell Loy"

rslfanboy, Ivensor, TheBiff and 7 others repped this.
  7. RSL Punk 2

RSL Punk 2 Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    DLH: "As he was a crappy coach, I fired him."

8. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    "Bad formations die many times before their deaths"

" O pardon me thou failing club, That I am meek and gentle with these players"

9. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's past 4 o'clock MT and we still don't have a leak on the big club announcment. I'm disappointed.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its this. It's always been this

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Kyle to announce retirement. You heard it here first.

12. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have thought the back line is where we obviously need more depth.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/rsl/5099087-155/waibel-rsl-still-entrenched-in-negotiations

13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I truly believe the FO thinks the players we have for defense are good enough. I don't agree, but I feel like that's their thinking. I personally think we're probably fine on the wing, but wouldn't argue if we picked up a great player there. I don't see us trading or adding any CB's, but I would like them to get us a better offensive LB or RB. We could probably use a better body in the midfield as well.

14. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    El-ahrairah and Todorojo repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albert played the final five minutes in Slovakia's 3-1 win over Malta.

16. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold the ******** up. So, our genius GM, after watching the first 4 games of this season, has decided that our area of "need" is the wings?! Mother ********ing Brooks Lennon, Bofo Saucedo, and Ricardo Velazco (all initially depth players) have had performances that give our GM THIS thought?! Dear god, we're ********ed.

I mean, I guess you could justify this with the U20 World Cup. But, then you'd have to acknowledge that the CB's you've suddenly have so much faith in will lose their top player. I just don't get it. This is such a slap in the face of the academy kids that finally broke through.

18. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I wonder if this is a terminology mistake and he really meant the outside backs as they come forward on the wings. The statement makes a lot more sense if you're talking about Beltran, Wingert, and Phillips.

19. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I really, really hope you're right on this.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamrani isn't that big of an idiot. Waibel isn't that smart
    "It all depends on exactly how you want that winger to play, where they're going to play," he said. "Traditionally, a true winger, you can find those anywhere in the world. It's not like shopping for a [number] 10. If you're shopping for a technical 10 opposed to a physical 10, you're shopping in different countries. The three players we're actively talking to are all in different areas with all different styles of play."

the last bolded party is concerning. We have 3 players with 3 different styles of play we're actively trying to sign? wait, what?

21. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's so that RSL will have the right players for the system the incoming coach wants to play. Since they didn't make the switch during the off season, they have to extra flexible now. ;)

haha, only serious. :(

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit confused. He first talks "true winger", then references the different types of 10s and the areas where you look for specific types, then says that the 3 players they are actively talking to are in different areas with different styles of play. So, logical flow is like they are looking at 3 different 10s, and not wingers at all. But, in actuality I think they are looking at 3 wingers. It almost sounds like whichever one of the 3 they manage to sign, his style of play will, to an extent, dictate RSL's style of play....as opposed to RSL having a style of play to which they will recruit a winger who fits that style.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if that's the case, CW and his scouts are more or less running around like dogs chasing a car. Oh, now we have this tire...? Dafuq we gonna do with this tire?

RSLer repped this.
  24. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think Waibel meant that there are different styles of play in different parts of the world, not that the 3 wingers all play different styles themselves. At least, that's how I read his quote. Could be wrong.

Also, could it be that Kamrani just interpreted Waibel to mean wingers, when Waibel really meant outside backs but called them the "wing position?" I'm sure Kamrani is smart enough to know the difference, but maybe Waibel is dumb enough to use the wrong name? Probably not, but like I said above, I really really hope so.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it all fits quite nicely into our "WTF are they doing" narrative.

Lizzie Bee and rslfanboy repped this.