RSL 2017 In-Season News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect big things - BIG THINGS! - now that Daryl Shore is out as GK coach. It's the change we've all been waiting for.

pcny, RoyalNonesuch and goobx1 repped this.
  2. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know who was a good GK coach? Jeff Cassar. <runs away while ducking>

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. Cassar was a hell of a GK coach. He did some sessions for my little brother when he had the GK job under Kreis. Dude can coach that spot very well.

How the ******** is THIS the only guy that gets canned? Who looks at this team and goes "you know who should get canned after these performances? The GK coach."

Jesus christ

RSLer, Todorojo and pcny repped this.
  4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Weird.

It will help though when Waibel finishes bringing in the big signings from the Monarchs next month.

Ease their transition into the first team.

5. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Watching my former club @RealSaltLake is so frustrating! They are now completely unrecognizable. It'll take years to rebuild that club.

I'm with Ian Joy on this.

6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agreed. Unless if Shore was offered another coaching job and wanted out, this makes zero sense. Why was he let go, yet Tyrone Marshall still has a job? Our defense is a disaster, and regardless of the personnel we have, shouldn't the defenders coach still be able to get them into a decent backline?

Todorojo, pcny and rslfanboy repped this.
  7. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah weird thing - wonder if DS had another gig lined up or what. Have to admit Jeff could coach GKs up too.

8. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'll leave this here for everyone:

https://www.stumptownfooty.com/2017...-finalize-move-for-center-back-larrys-mabiala

For a quick comparison between GMs and their ability to identify and close talent, take a look at who Portland has signed over the past 18 vs. RSL:
    Larrys Mabiala - CB
    Sebastian Blanco - ACM
    Steven Taylor - CB
    Gbenga Arokoyo - CB
    Lawrence Olum - CB
    Roy Miller - CB

RSL:
    Yura Movsisyan - CF
    Albert Rusnak - CM
    Jefferson Savarino - RW

Let that marinate for a bit.

9. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    When you hear a pro saying "it'll take years to rebuild", it's kind of an alarm bell about how the team was assembled.

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why am I getting the nasty feeling that this transfer window will end up like the rest, with these possibilities
    1. We just miss out on a signing, getting out bid at the "last minute" again if it happens once NBD but it happens multiple time or that is what is claimed. Is that an issue of valuation of the target?
    2. Claim that we are fine/Target not available ....lol hard to even type that without the ballad of confusion and anger . This is not logical I have no analysis on this possibility.
    3. We can't sign someone because we do not have the roster room, I could use help with this idea but it's just a possibility.
    Anyone want to add to these cars of the excuse train, I may be just trying to rant a little and trying to put out some apprehensions about the upcoming window.

Callgolf and RSLer repped this.
  11. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heads need to roll if that happens.

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Petke was named as the new coach, even the pundits around the sport observed that "He's got a big mess on his hands". It gave me the impression that in private circles around the league RSL was viewed as a disaster. It also led me to believe that because of it the pool of good coaches who might be interested in the job was probably more of a glass of water than a pool. I still think this a top of the organization problem rather than a coaching competency problem. Fire the GK coach??? Really? Why? Well, it deflects criticism from where it should be directed. The FO is full on board with the "We'll keep changing coaches until this thing gets fixed" line of thinking.

pcny repped this.
  13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get that feeling because of historical precedent. When you see a trend its natural to run with it. I'm in the same boat. The only thing that will keep me from believing it will be the same ol' same ol' is if they actually DO something different. Until then, its just noise.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A coach or a scout at most. Probably neither.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the general manager...

pcny repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To flush out option 3 above - it comes down to cap space. I'm curious just how much we have left. And if it's not much, then you have to look at the Savarino move and really wonder what the ******** Waibel is thinking.

Is Savarino a good player? Absolutely. Does he address our biggest need (or even top 3)? Nope.

To lock up cap space with a move that doesn't address your needs would be the ultimate Craig Waibel move.

pcny repped this.
  17. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When MLS posted this article last week, for some reason it also made me think that RSL has huge problems that are apparent and discussed across the league. I could be wayyyy overthinking it, but it seemed like such a ludicrous piece that it had to have been the product of some emergency meeting to get something hopeful up on the site pronto before RSL fans (and the organization itself) completely implodes. Or Wiebe just really believes in us because Petke and Yura had some drama.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...-spat-just-what-doctor-ordered-real-salt-lake

RSLer repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no need to imagine anything other than record-setting back-to-back road losses and the early season, oddly-timed firing of our previous coach. That is plenty to generate an article like this, though Petke had pretty obviously clashed with Plata and Yura too.

19. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GM

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timbers announce they're signing Larry Mabiala. This was brought up during On Frame in a weird way. While not directly said, it sounds like this is one of the guys that Waibel had "all but signed" and then "something prevented it from happening".

Thats all speculation, but you be the judge of it. 35:40 of the first hour

21. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we figured it's better to let Portland have Mabiala so we can sign whomever Portland has to get rid of in order to make room for him. We can get someone "for pennies on the dollar", even if he is a leftover. Savvy.

UofRSL repped this.
  22. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Yep. Sounds like someone thought they had a handshake deal for the player, but couldn't close on it.

Criticizing other teams for announcing incoming players early and losing leverage in a future trade negotiation is pretty freaking rich coming from an organization that's seemingly rarely even faced with the opportunity to make that mistake.

RSLer, pcny, The Franchise and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Waibel has to be the worst negotiator I've ever heard of, we've had so many handshake deals that turn south.

We need this guy:

[​IMG]

RSLer, andyslc, RoyalNonesuch and 4 others repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my feelings as well. Its rather telling that another MLS team could get him to sign. Blast the player for backing off on the deal all you want, you look incompetent

RSLer, pcny and The Franchise repped this.
  25. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States