RSL 2017 In-Season News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 4, 2017.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who used to do the points graph after each game. It had all of the RSL seasons on it and was fun to see.

2. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Both of them are kiddie pool setups, are they going to compete in the USSDA?

Most likely not because it's against the US Soccer rules to have foreign clubs even at the youth level competing in sanctioned US Academy development leagues? So, who are they going to play in competition? Unless they change the rules.

Also, there's zero precedent for ascension to the parent club, even to the youth setup. RSL is actually picking up players and getting them to college, Monarchs or the first team.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought what would happen at first is that other teams would poach whatever our tier 1 talents are, and we'd be left with anything leftover. It doesn't bother me in the short term, because if we're getting good fees for the players, then it's funds that go back into the academy, or RSL proper. Over time, as the salary cap improves, I'm sure we'd start to see a switch in where we retain a lot of the better talent. Even still, I'd be happy enough if we get to the point where we're more of a 2nd tier league, behind Spain, England, and Germany. It'll take awhile, but I'm sure we can eventually get there.

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balance used to do them, IIRC.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I thought I read somewhere that the Barca academy will actually be competing. It's tough. On the one hand this could hurt RSL. On the other we're potentially looking at a much more competitive USMNT.

6. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was fun to see... back when the red line was above the other lines.

TheBiff and RSLer repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this too, which makes me believe that they are establishing these academies now to gain whatever form of "citizenship" is required to participate in the youth leagues.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling that Casa Grande is going to make very big claims that the success of that academy had more to do with them than it did it's paying tenants. Time will tell who played more of a role given the new occupants down there

9. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made it to a practice last week, it was interesting. I am not sure there was much to take from it as it was for the open cup and much of the first team was not playing in that game. But I heard Trey talk to another person I joined in a little. Observations though Plata skies shots in practice as well.

10. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That's a stretch, we keep the organizational brain power of Martin Vaszquez, plus we've got a solid avenue to Monarchs and RSL that the Euro clubs simply can't offer. As a player you'd sell yourself short by chasing name as opposed to opportunity. Plus, if you are that good, you don't need the name to get you a chance with a major club like Liverpool as Brooks Lennon evidenced.

I don't see how they're going to compete in USSDA if they don't adhere to the geography rules and the foreign club rule. Serious goal post moving if that is indeed the case.

rslfanboy, Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.
  11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    money and prestige (think of having FC Barcelona in the USSDA, from the USSDA point of view) does those kind of things.

PumaJohnny repped this.
  12. Callgolf

Callgolf Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yup, you're probably right. Begs the question, how closely aligned is this academy with the big Barcelona, is this more than just a publicity stunt or money maker? I can't imagine they need more money.

13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always enjoy how they finagle players into the team of the week. Plata totally is a LM...

RSLer repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how they're almost never formations that people play either.

Maybe instead of doing a team of the week, they could just acknowledge the good players for the week? This way if defenders were just stinking it up, they could give props to the couple that were standouts, and give more of the spotlight to the offensive players that were killing it. It'd also work the other way around when defenses were lighting it up for the week.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PumaJohnny, Ismitje, Todorojo and 2 others repped this.
  18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PumaJohnny repped this.
  19. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great saves, but lost the game w his gaffe.

Also, lose to RSL, go to the back of the line.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A story in the life of 15to32:

Bored at work, waiting for a NY manager to decide I'm worth his time, he clicks around on RSL.com to see whats the lastest.

Oh, whats this? A Q&A with General Manager Craig Waibel? This should be something...

Reads opening paragraph - wants to punch self in face

This, friends, is why a bored 15to32 is a dangerous 15to32

Lizzie Bee and The Franchise repped this.
  21. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having played more games means there are fewer chances to make up points. Really, we're more like 5 points back: LA has 19 points in 14 games (+5); RSL has 17 in 17 (+0). And as GD is a better predictor for future matches than record, RSL is deceptively high.

Allez RSL repped this.
  22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    With 17 games to go and sitting at 17 points RSL needs to earn 30 points the rest of the way to be in contention for the last playoff spot in the west.

Over the last 5 years the average amount of points needed to make the playoffs in the West has been 48.

Last year 46 got you into the playoffs preceded by 51, 49, 51 and 43 respectively.

30 points would put RSL at 47 points to finish the season and to that they would have to drastically increase their points per game from 1 to 1.76 and at the moment only Toronto at 2 and Chicago at 1.94 are scoring points at that rate or higher with no one in the West anywhere near that pace of play.

I guess it can be done and there is always the possibility that the red line will be below the 5 year average but even still 45 points is 1.64 per game, 43 is 1.52, 41 is 1.4 from here on out.

17 games left and I doubt RSL is winning 10 of those or any other combination that get them 30 or more points by the playoffs.

It would be quite the Monarch type run to get into the playoffs but I really don't see RSL going on any 9 game win streaks anytime soon.

UofRSL, RSLer, TheBiff and 6 others repped this.
  23. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver in 6th place is sitting at 1.43 ppg which puts the points to achieve at 48 or 49, meaning RSL would have to get 31 or 32 points over the last 17 games for a shot at 6th. BUT just for the sake of argument, Seattle sat on 17 points through 17 games last year and we all know how that turned out. Of course we'd need a Lodeiro level signing (in terms of impact) and given our current GM I doubt very much that happens.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly puts it all into perspective. Sure we *might* get into the playoffs, but it does appear to be nearly impossible at the halfway point. Realistically our best chance is one of the bottom teams tanks, but that's unlikely.

25. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've learned that no matter what your opinion of Waibel is, listening to him speak is absolutely ********ing pointless.

UofRSL, TheBiff, Allez RSL and 3 others repped this.