RSL 2017 Game : Salt Lake at MNUFC, Sat. 1 Apr. 6:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Mar 30, 2017.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phillis point is pretty solid, with so much crap on the pitch hard to understand how someone can call out Beckerman as being the worst on the pitch. Personally I am all for calling for Waibel's Head.

RSLer, pcny, Ivensor and 1 other person repped this.
  2. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Eh. He's still pretty bad.

3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love Silva trading jerseys and sniffing his opponents jersey!

4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because even when everyone is bad, there's still someone that would be considered the worst. It's not that hard to understand. If KB was a 4 rating, and everyone else was a 5, that still shows the team sucked while having someone who was worse. I'd put Wingert up there with being as bad as KB tonight, and those are two veterans who should be held to a higher standard. Yeah, Schmidt wasn't good, but this is his 3rd ever professional game so it's understandable. Lennon at right back sucked, but has he honestly ever played in that position before?
    I'd say he's average in this system. But that's one of the problems, is playing a system that doesn't suit him. As much as I dislike Barrett, this is a system that suits him far better than it does Yura. And this is coming from someone that wouldn't take Barrett on a free transfer. The hard part is, we can't really play a system that suits Yura, because we don't have the players for it. So sadly, we have to play to the strengths we do have, and hope that Yura can adjust his game and integrate better.

Overall, this team clearly has no fight or spirit right now. It's going to be a massive task for Petke, and I really hope he can turn all of this around. I'll be surprised if we make the playoffs, even though there's still plenty of time for it to happen. We botched the offseason transfer window, imo, but I honestly don't know who we're supposed to blame. Easy person is Weibel, but who was the one telling him who to go after? Was it Cassar? DLH? I'd say some blame is probably one Weibel, but if Cassar said to go after certain targets and Weibel delivered, then it's not really his fault we went for the wrong targets.

5. wrennywren

wrennywren Member

Jul 15, 2004
    San Antonio TX
    Well, I was expecting the scores to have been switched, but oh well.

6. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Kyle played in the second half?

The Monarchs played far, far better today. Hopefully Petke can work some magic with the craptastic uninjured players RSL has left.

RSL's going to beat the worst team in the league - APRIL FOOLS, 'cause that's what we all were for watching that one...and RSL is the worst team in the league at this point.

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke was a center back; Petke for player-coach! Actually Petke and Marshall might be better than what we ended up with tonight.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hey, we scored twice as many goals today as in our first four games combined. The animal has been uncaged! Or something.

9. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    What if every Wednesday, RSL scrimmages the Monarchs--winner goes to the MLS game that week....which team would play in majority of top flight matches this season? a) that Wednesday game would be entertaining af...b) the fact you actually have to think about who would advance each week says something about our GM.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nah the "system" argument for Yura is tiresome. He misses a lot of clear cut chances even in this system. He is not an elite player and is certainly not worth whatever RSL is paying him.

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad Petke didn't want to be a distraction for this one, what a disaster that could have been.

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, while Yura has thus far been anything near stellar, he has proven himself a scorer in the past few years.

As much as I disliked Sabo, I have to think a target striker like Sabo would be just the ticket to give Yura the space he needs to become the scorer he has proven he can be.
    RSL has speed on the wings, if the team can get to the corners and place some decent crosses into the box for a target striker we may create some respect from defenses. As things are now teams are simply shadowing Yura knowing he is the sole option up top.

Allez RSL repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see that after 10+ years nothing has changed. The only silver lining to that trade.

rslfanboy, Allez RSL, Ivensor and 4 others repped this.
  14. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did both lose?

15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would be interesting to hear the beatdown laid down in the locker room by our new coach. If the team was trying to impress him, they sure did, but in the wrong way.

But hey, Yura got a goal.

16. Kratisto

Kratisto Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Also, Regarding this Minnesota game specifically, Wingert, Beckerman, Sunny, and Schmidt are on my shit list. Movsisyan is too, but both of those last two (Schmidt and Mov) have excuses. Movsisyan plays a role that is service-dependent and is full of streaky players. Schmidt is still as rookie as it gets... and fair enough.

As soon as Maund got injured the game was... in trouble. To be honest i am surprised we only allowed 1 goal in the first half. Its not that minnesota was good... its just that we were shit. I am also surprised to be referring to maund as the player I trusted. I dont actually trust him, i just trust him more than everyone else on defense yesterday.

Special shoutout to beckerman. People have always called him a "destroyer" type. He has made some hard tackles, apparently likes to talk shit. But yesterday? yesterday was awful. I saw him pushing people, off the ball, carelessly. I saw him pushing people when he was late, when a step behind, when he was lazy... it was bad. Lenhart bad. thats a low ********ing statement.

Allez RSL, Paleworm, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mentioned earlier, MinnU should have had 3 in the first half. In the second half one of their guys blasted a shot clean over the empty net. It could have been much worse.

As bad as the defense was, it came down to 2 bonehead plays that did us in. Given the way we had to move people around and play them out of position, it's not really a surprise that we looked pretty bad. The attack disappoints me more than the defense. Against what was the worst defense in the league coming into this game, we only managed 5 shots on goal. Other than the two attacks which resulted in scores we rarely looked dangerous.

Paleworm repped this.
  18. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    He really hasn't though. In his 11 year career he has only scored more than 10 goals twice. Under a new system he'll just have more opportunities to screw up easy shots.

15 to 32 and The Franchise repped this.
  19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 in this league isn't bad though. Just looking at last season, 14 goals was top 10 in the league, while there were only two players to have 20 goal seasons. 10 is on the low side, but still top 17 in last season. Ideally he'd be in the 10-15 goal range, but I could live with a few 10 goal players on the team.

20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two goals in five games puts him on pace for 13 this season. Funny that what looks poor to us can translate over time to decent numbers.

(I just noticed this as I was making the post, which was going to have a different tenor.)

RSLer, Allez RSL and Ivensor repped this.
  21. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Agreed. 10 goals is fine, but not for an expensive DP.

RSLer and pate repped this.
  22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know what we're paying him? As a DP though, I would say he should be getting around 15 per season though. That should have him in the top 10, which is pretty good.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irritating thing with Yura isn't the amount he scores, it's the amount he blows. As much as we like to throw shade at Chad Barrett, Yura is just a slightly more talented version of him. Okay at putting himself in dangerous positions but lacks that finishing touch more than he really should.

RSLer repped this.
  24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who has a time machine that can bring back a 27yo Sabo?

pcny, TheBiff and 15 to 32 repped this.