RSL 2017 Game : Salt Lake at MNUFC, Sat. 1 Apr. 6:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Mar 30, 2017.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will dub this "The Game We Surely Can't Lose So We'll Find A Way To Lose". Especially with me making the thread (I believe we've lost or tied every single game I've done this for but it's ********ing Wednesday and no game thread?!)

Sounds like Plata and Allen are back in training. I would expect them on the bench. With Shore still coaching for this one (talk about weird) he'll likely roll out the 4231 again. So, with all that said, here is what I expect for a starting XI and bench:

Nicky
    Tony*, Maund, Schuler, Phillips
    Beckerman, Luke
    Lennon, Rusnak, Bofo
    Yura

Bench: VanO, Wingert*, Horst, Sunny, Allen, Velazco, Plata/Silva

RSLer repped this.
  2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL 4-0 over Minnesota in a snowstorm. Adrian Heath will be "sacked" after the game and Minnesota will hired newly "liberated" Jeff Cassar as coach.

Goals by Yura, Bofo, Lennon and Rusnak.

jessyca, 15 to 32 and Taragui repped this.
  3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I could see Heath getting the axe if Minnesota gets run off the field by this RSL team but I can't see anyone giving Cassar a shot at being a head coach for a long time.

I'm sure he will get picked up as a coach somewhere in MLS/USL though.

4. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    But he's a perfect fit for the climate. He proved the first home game that he knows how to dress warm. #hideoussweater

Ivensor, andyslc and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *signals for bartender*
    Whatever he's having

DrownedElf, TheBiff, El-ahrairah and 2 others repped this.
  6. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a bad feeling about this, I would put a it's a trap meme here. But is it a trap when both teams are struggling?

15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will lose.

8. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's Daryl Shore's all-time record as an RSL HC?

9. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Agreed. Both teams will probably lose. Somehow.

The Franchise and 15 to 32 repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have the worst defense in the league, and arguably one of the worst in league history. If we score against them, will 2 goals be disappointing to most of us or will it be acceptable (assuming we win, of course. I know the bottom line answer is that we will be happy if we score enough to win).

11. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone unfortunate enough to watch this game will probably be the real loser. :(

acima and Allez RSL repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a win any way they come right now. Anyone upset about winning but not by a large margin can go right off and ******** themselves. We haven't won since 8/26/16. That's 215 days.

The Franchise, SALTLAKEJAKE and Todorojo repped this.
  13. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MUFC has scored 6 goals so far this season to RSL's 1.
    They've allowed 18 to RSL's 4.

While their GD is worse than RSL's, They can at least score goals and as ratios their performance looks (marginally) better that RSL's.

15 to 32 repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7-7 tie in which both teams both do and do not address their issues

Ivensor, Allez RSL and Taragui repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    With 6 own goals to pad RSL's total.

15 to 32 repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a built in double prediction given they'll be playing on an american football field. 1-1 / 7-7
    I fully expect an OG in this game, too. Maybe RSL scores twice in a game but still doesn't win.

17. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Interesting that MN picks up two defensive folks from the cRapids on the eve of their game with RSL. No word on whether they'll be available or play tomorrow.

18. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Plata will be on the bench for this one and get some min working to get him back to full fitness. Coaches choice at CB based on who is the healthiest. Also seems like Lennon will get the start again on the right, deservedly. Hearing that Silva will be the #2 striker in place of Barrett (eh) so that should be fun.

I predict RSL to win by 10 goals and the world will come to a spectacular end shortly thereafter.

19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please no Sunny and no Silva!

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva was god awful in NY. He better be sent back to the bench this game if not out of the 18 completely. Having him as our "forward" depth is scary as hell, too. When Yura picks up a knock this game, sheesh...

Also, Mr "One Chance is All" is on his last lifeline with me. Continued weak play and I say bench his ass. The scary prospect is who to replace him with, but he doesn't deserve to play if things don't change tomorrow.

Allez RSL repped this.
  21. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura not scoring is problematic but it's a symptom of the larger problem that should start to see improvement if the other things get fixed. Playing Yura like he has been over the past year and change does not put him in good positions to score. He's not a hold up guy/he's not going to turn a defender and he's even less likely to score with his head -- and yet that's what the team has been giving him to work with. (granted, he still should have scored some sitters recently, no excuses there.)

I'm giving everyone til July to figure it out before I start calling for peoples heads. I want to see what Petke can do in that time tactically to get Yura the ball in better positions that serve his strengths and then if he's still unable to finish I'll expect he be benched.

Keep in mind that NO ONE is scoring for us and that should be even scarier.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree that Yura has been put in a system that doesn't match his qualities. However, this doesn't mean he hasn't blown clear cut chances and should be held accountable. Further, if we're going to play this system, then continuing to roll him out there is detrimental to everyone.

The wing play of Bofo and Brooks combined with the AM style of Rusnak is to play fast. Yura doesn't have that speed. Multiple times this year I've watched a hopeful fast attack get bogged down at the feet of Yura. This wasn't when asking him to be a target, either. It was clean linkup play that should be more his "style". He just isn't up to the speed those kids want to play. Silva isn't the answer, either.

Your point about no one scoring is fair. Yura shouldn't shoulder all of that load. But, he also should shoulder a LOT of that load. If they want to play this 4-2-3-1 setup with wing play then Yura's got to be the guy to knock the ball in the net. It's simple. Especially when he's given chances to do so.

SALTLAKEJAKE repped this.
  23. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All fair. I don't even think Yura is a linkup type player, either. His best years came as a guy who ran onto a ball in behind the defensive line. Which would require a formation change or a very different take on the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1

24. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    MN wins their first on a 6-5 run and gun shoot-out game, mainly because RSL finishes with 10 men, due to a defender getting sent off. RSL also ends up with every other player having a yellow card.

P.S. and Lennon gets his first pro goal in MLS...

15 to 32 repped this.
  25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    If Allen is okay to play on the wing, can Lennon play as the forward? Does he have that skillset? Even if he does, I wonder if it's not asking too much of such a young player.