RSL 2017 Game 33: Salt Lake at Colorado, Sun. 15 Oct. 5:30 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Looks at tagline, notes we do have a forward.)

;)

SenordrummeR2, Todorojo and Ivensor repped this.
  2. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched us play... We have been able to score with our not CF Silva playing. We look like absolute crap with Sunny and Mulholland on the pitch together. If Beckerman can continue next year with his current form than yes a CF is number 1. If he cannot and Sunny and Mulholland are our starting CMs it won't matter how good our CF is as we will turn the ball over before he sees it. Also, if we sign a solid CM and Beckerman keeps his form, that is all the better.

pcny and acima repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that player was a CM or CF, yeah we'd probably be really really good. Think of having a Rusnak level CM next to KB instead of the Sunny/Luke rotation

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS. If we dont deserve to be in the playoffs, who does? Dallas who completely colasped after such a great start? Or San Jose with the worse goal differential in the MLS?

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It truly is a Brewster's Millions moment.

BalanceUT repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we got our asses handed to us by both of those clubs. So...

BalanceUT repped this.
  7. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    "Deserves" and "MLS Playoffs" is a little ironic.

The whole damn thing is a crapshoot.

8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the only team that deserves to be in the playoffs is the one that has the most at the end of the season. If at the end of Sunday, RSL is sitting in 6th place, then RSL deserved to be in the playoffs because Dallas and San Jose choked when they had to win.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, putting words in my mouth. I'm just saying, when you get to 1 and 2 point gaps, it's important to look at how those teams competed against each other. Even with Petke at the helm we were embarrassed by both of these clubs we're competing for the last spot with.

This doesn't even mention how we only took 1 point in 2 games against the worst teams in our conference just barely.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  10. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Going with the RSL Family (TM) let's-get-the-band-back-together approach:

https://g.co/kgs/oqCkhM

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we, and Colorado, know better than most clubs.

JasonMa and Boz repped this.
  12. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesnt matter. We can go back and point to multiple referee decisions that cost RSL points but what does matter is the standings at the end of the season.

And to stir the pot even more, lets not forget how Dallas should have been penalized points for their game roster screw-up versus Orlando.

So, no team deserves to be in the playoffs like no team deserves to win the MLS cup. If that was the case, then LA deserved to win the MLS cup in 2009 because Golden Balls Beckham was on the LA squad and RSL deserved to win the CCF Champions League and RSL deserved to win the 2013 Open Cup and the 2013 MLS cup and the Atlanta Falcons deserved to win the Super Bowl last year.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can also go back to multiple points in the season where RSL got points it didn't "deserve". These things almost always balance out. I've kept threads on this for multiple seasons. Historically, we end up with more than we deserved, in fact, based on the play in the game. Deserved is likely the wrong word here. It implies "fairness" which is not a thing in sports at almost any level.

Dallas would be out one point. It won't matter if SJ wins which I bet they will.

You're still not addressing the fact that in head to head battles with the teams we're competing with, proverbial 6 point games, we failed. That's as "fair" or "deserved" as you're going to get. RSL wasn't good enough to make the playoffs this year. That's an opinion, but it's going to be backed by the final results unless something bat shit crazy happens.

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree that deserved isnt the correct word, i just dont know what would be the right word. Probably something foreign.

Until the season ends or RSL is mathemagically eliminated, there is still a chance. I dont know what it could be but im thinking that both Dallas and San Jose tie (just because) and RSL wins, putting SKC in 5th place hell.

Of course if im wrong, oh well, i guess ill never be a high-paid MLS coach.

15. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accountability means no excuses. The largest point-costing thing of all for 2017 was maintaining Jeff the Clueless as head coach to start the year. I'm past that, because it ended up with Petke who I think may turn out to be a steal.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am also not convinced Petke would have been the guy if the process happened in the offseason. I think it worked out right, with the right guy, after a terrible process I would not want to see repeated.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the short turnaround, it's entirely possible that Petke ends up with roughly the same roster. But I think that he has these guys in a winning mentality far sooner, which would've meant playoffs. Who knows how we would've done, but given the last couple months, I think we could've made a round or two at least.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good and possibly scary point. Who the hell would we have had as coach had Cassar got canned at the end of last season?
    Interesting note on that from the last On Frame: CW admitted that Petke wasn't on his short list of Monarch coaches initially. He (CW) had a friend taking a coaching course that Petke happened to be in and went "wait, he's not on my list"

So.... yeah

rslfanboy, Ismitje, Allez RSL and 4 others repped this.
  19. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We probably would've ended up with the University of Washington's coach. :eek:

15 to 32 repped this.