RSL 2017 Game 3: Los Angeles at Salt Lake, Sat. 18 Mar. 7:30 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 12, 2017.

1. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <humility, head bowed> Just doin' my part </humility, head bowed>

The Franchise repped this.
  2. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's PRO's review of Beckerman's yellow for dissent. It's interesting to see how Stoica reacted to whatever Kyle said, as well as how Elfath reacted to whatever Shea said to earn his second yellow. I'm glad they're clamping down on dissent, and hopefully that will disseminate down to the youth and local levels (doubtful, but one can hope.).

http://www.proreferees.com/news-play-of-the-week-2017-week-3.php

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disseminate to the youth levels, huh? I'm sure they'll read this and not listen to the giant "REF YOU SUCK" chant at the RioT...

4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yeah, there is that. I'm so sick of that chant and the YSA chant. But I'm more referencing the refs at the youth and local levels. Give more attention to dissent at those levels, both to parents and players. It only takes getting ejected from a game a couple of times before people start learning to shut their mouths.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cynic in me: If only this were true. I don't ref anymore in large part because the people were always the same. You could eject so and so every game, s/he was still going to berate you the next game.

This game thread should be closed now so I'll post my thoughts on this here: Licensing should be required by all coaches. They already mandate a D license for comp coaches, you should have to pass the level 8 ref exam, as well. Players after the age of 12 should be required, by their club, to go ref the young lower level/rec games so many times a year, as well.

6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my license when I was in high school, reffed one game, and never went back. Getting berated by parents wasn't worth the money.

BalanceUT and RSLer repped this.
  7. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thought, but too many young refs end up being reduced to tears by players' parents. I'm firmly behind trying to establish more respect for referees, but I'm not sure forcing players to referee games is the way to go about it. Just my 2¢.

8. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think 15's point is that if everyone is required to get involved and do it, the disrespect on the field and in the stands would drop. In turn, this would mean fewer people chased away from reffing by people being a**@)%s

BalanceUT and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This
    Especially considering that a u12 kid would have his parent(s) there at the game he was officiating. So if some asshole rec parent took exception, the kids parent(s) would be there to intervene as well.

RSLer repped this.
  10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my son's story, except that he finished the season. It's really a shame. It's one of the main reasons we have such poor officials in MLS.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this would lead to more vocal push-back from the kids to the parents, letting the adults know their behavior is out of line.

12. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If the kids parents are there watching their kid ref, next time they watch their kid play they'll hopefully realize the 16 year old reffing is also just some kid.