RSL 2017 Game 21: Salt Lake at Portland, Weds. 19 July 8:30 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Jul 16, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should get rescinded, but this is the MLS we're talking about, so he'll somehow get an extra game for it.

andyslc and RSLer repped this.
  2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rusnak!!

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might be behind, or just waited to post that. :D Solid goal off the keepers head.

4. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knowing MLS they won't rescind Beckerman's red, they are so ********ing incompetent at that shit it's ridiculous

andyslc and RSLer repped this.
  5. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully expect that to be the case as well, and it'll be completely baffling when they do so. That, or they'll rescind that, and give some other player a retroactive red for some reason. We seem to be real good at getting those.

6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigsoccer slows my computer down big time....

7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plata! Looks like we're in for another solid win. Could this be us finally turning a corner?

8. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This is going well.

RSLer repped this.
  9. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is silly to watch, rsl completed like 50 passes in a row there, lost possession, Plata gets played through and it's 4-0

RSLer repped this.
  10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would put us at -13 GD as it stands. Progress! Also looks like we'd move up to 8th in the standings. Here's hoping DC can come back to win or draw vs Seattle to keep them in check.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +8 goal differential in 2 road games. Suddenly I am again interested in our games.

pcny repped this.
  12. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is only the second time RSL has scored more than three goals. And it's the second game in a row.

13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goddammit

RSLer repped this.
  14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointing. That's what happens when focus is lost.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems weird that this is the first time we've had back to back road wins since 2014. Shame Rimando couldn't get another shutout. Should've been an easy save but he was cheating in the box.

Bad news is that Seattle made a huge comeback to win 4-3 after being down 3-0. Looks like LA is going to lose, which means we move ahead of them, but I'd rather a draw since they're playing Vancouver.

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    That goal is on Rimando.

Allez RSL repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of observations:
    1. No Yura again, and we have scoring success. Silva certainly isn't great, but the attack has more chemistry when he is on rather than Yura.
    2. For the 2nd consecutive game we scored first and won.

PumaJohnny and pcny repped this.
  18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So right now we're 4 points out of a playoff spot. Not impossible to get. Downside is that we've played 1 game more than some, and there's LA with 2 games in hand, so it's possible they could gain ground if they get points out of those. Houston is in 3rd place with 29 points, which is 6 away from where we're at now. While I doubt we can do much more than barely getting into the playoffs, it's still pretty close with 13 games to go. We just have to continue taking care of business.

19. pcny

pcny Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Is it me, but have Plata, KB, Sunny all switched on for last couple of games? Petke now in control of this team and attitudes adjusted it seems.

20. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I don't think so. It's not just you.

I really can't believe what a change Plata has made. Dude is killing it and looks to have totally bought into Petke and this team right now.

I'll be really surprised if Yura can figure it out, much to my chagrin.

pcny repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his post-game comments Petke admitted that earlier in the season he didn't think Plata would be where he is right now. He said they had a terrible relationship. He said he still doesn't know Plata well, but the relationship is healthier.

CameraMonkey and pcny repped this.
  22. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shout out to DirecTV for automatically recording this game on the MLS channel I don't have access to instead of KMYU. I was looking forward to watching it.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. After watching what can only be described as a bizarre and chippy USMNT game, I thought for sure this game would be a bit more normal. How dumb of me to not look at who the ref was...
    2. One of the many things that Petke has changed with this club in the last few weeks is how it starts games. We look a completely different side. The joke for much of this season was "how long until we get scored on". Now we're the aggressive side. We're pushing players forward and daring the opposition to get out of position for our speedy wingers to punish them.
    3. I've shit on Beckerman a lot this year. I've honestly wondered if he should be moved out of the starting XI and start the transition to being part of the academy. Until the (ridiculous) red card, he was having arguably his best game in an RSL shirt since the 2013 cup run. He was everywhere, he was confident, he was leading. He looked like the leader we need.
    4. Similarly, Sunny had himself a hell of a game here. His ability to keep the ball in tight spaces can't be overstated. So many times he gets a ball with a player or two next to him that other mids (cough luke cough) would lose and spring a counter. Instead he pulls it tight and maintains possession. Play like that justifies his salary.
    5. The Beckerbomb was ridiculous. Initially I was like "who the ******** is he crossing to" but holy shit no. He puts his head down after he sees no options and just says "******** it, hit it".
    6. ******** Toledo. This game could have / should have been even more of a dominant win for RSL. Nothing KB did warranted a red. You could maybe make a case for a yellow, but that's it.
    7. Luis Silva is the right type of forward for this team. I'm starting to wonder if Yura will drop down to 3rd option at FW with Barrett getting closer and closer to health.
    8. One note of concern in this game: our defense was not glowing. Glad made some really bad mistakes that Horst bailed him out on. Similarly, Horst made some bad mistakes that Glad bailed him out on. It was better from the CB's than what has been the norm this year, but we're not going to be keeping many clean sheets with that level of play.
    9. On the Plata second goal I went and counted passes because it felt like we had the ball forever before scoring. We did possess the ball for over 2 minutes before the goal. It started from a corner that we took on an angle and ultimately cycled around the entire team. 42 consecutive passes were made before we lost the ball near midfield. That's pretty amazing.
    10. The most amazing part of that sequence, though, was how quickly we won the ball back and punished Portland for getting overly aggressive. It reminded me of RSL of old (like Robbie Findley and Andy Williams time). Frustrating the opposition into pulling out of their shape and then finding the quick counter on a well timed run.
    11. The last part about that sequence - Danny Acosta played a hell of a ball after fighting to win the ball back. The confidence in that kid is growing by the minute. If he can play with that kind of bite and vision, he might actually be the KB replacement.
    12. Albert Rusnak: 72 passes (10 more than the next closest player). . He completed 86% of those passes - not in the top five of the game (this gets skewed with subs) but still a hell of a number. 7.5% of possession in the entire game went through him - next closest player was at 6.3%. He wasn't dispossessed once. He was accounted for 84 touches - again, the most of any player. Good god what a game.
    13. Whats more, though, is how much of an AM Rusnak's heatmap looks in this game compared to what we were seeing early in the season. He's dominating the center part of the pitch in our offensive half of the field. It's nuts. Go look at whoscored for more amazement.
    14. To end this with some reality: we're still in a really tough spot to make the playoffs. Yes, I brought up playoffs - mostly to say "stop talking about playoffs". Let the fun of the game be what makes you watch. This team, over the past 3 games, has been insanely fun to watch. Not just because they're scoring (though that helps) but because there are ideas. We have tactics. We have leadership. Most importantly, the guys look to believe in each other and the philosophy. It's such a drastic change and we all need to enjoy it without placing stupid targets (like playoffs) around it to hamper it.
    15. This weekend we play against a team that won't be devastated with injuries or callups or absences. We'll play against a team that is a legit playoff team that will compete for trophies. Hell, I didn't realize this, but SKC is actually top of the conference. So yeah, this is the game where this team shows just how real this change is. And, for what feels like the first time in a long while, I'm really excited to go to the RioT and watch RSL play.

Lizzie Bee, rslfanboy, RSLer and 12 others repped this.
  24. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I keep lowering my expectations and RSL keeps upping theirs... Romance is in the air.

[​IMG]

PumaJohnny, RSLer, DrownedElf and 3 others repped this.
  25. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer, El-ahrairah, Boz and 2 others repped this.