RSL 2017 Game 13: Salt Lake at Seattle, Sat. 20 May 3:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, May 17, 2017.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That we were in the game at all with that back four is remarkable. Schmidt and Dunk . . . I mean, no one roots for injuries, but Boyd and Phanny must look at these games and imagine what might have been had this happened one of their seasons. And if you made a video compilation of the clearances Schuler made today, it would not be particularly flattering, plus he totally overran the ball on the play when he gave up the penalty. Maund was only slightly better.

Beckerman may be slowing down, but he had a very good week. Sunny, now, he's not playing good, and hasn't this season once. But this week @phills the old guys were good.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    pate, UPinSLC and Todorojo repped this.
  3. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Plus a red card on them for a sloppy retaliation foul.

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think they've been better since going down a man, lol, and they get another goal here in the 83'. This Monarchs team would woodshed the first team.

15 to 32, RoyalNonesuch and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  6. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I have caught most of their games this year and they are just fun to watch. It would be very interesting to see what they could do against RSL. It certainly looks like there are players that might have a chance to stick with RSL in the future.

Beltran played the first 45.

And Rufio is back.

7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm a fan of Schmidt. Need to find a spot for that kid on the field.

RoyalNonesuch and El-ahrairah repped this.
  8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a fan of all our young talent just because they will be the team in the future and getting them meaningful minutes now will help them in the future. Do they make mistakes? Of course, but then when you are young, who doesn't? And given how our veterans are playing right now, what do we got to lose?

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given other commitments and the timing of this game (dude, mid afternoon games are the ********ing worse) I was only able to catch some of it. My efforts to go back and watch the whole thing were thwarted by... well a desire to do just about anything else.

A few notes, though:
    1. I want to go on permanent record saying that I loathe the way Petke wants his outside backs to defend. This overly aggressive pushing forward of them when we don't have the ball is KILLING the back four.
    2. More to this, our CB situation is amplified with how Petke wants to defend. I have no idea how we've only given up 2 goals in these last two games with the quality of chances we're giving away. Opposing forwards are routinely getting between the two CB's and getting a shot off. That they aren't finishing them has people believing our D has improved. We're not going to get away with that kind of D for much longer.
    3. KB wasn't bad this week. In fact, it might have been one of his better string of performances. However, what Petke is asking of that role vs what is happening are very much different. KB keeps getting stretched and opening up holes in front of our D. A defense that, as I previously stated, doesn't need much help in creating openings for opponents to take. KB is the guy for the rest of the season, but if we're going to play this version of Petke ball in 2018, KB can't be a regular.
    4. Sunny is/was a hack in this game. That he didn't see red was a miracle
    5. I don't like Rusnak playing a wide midfielder role. He wasn't on the ball nearly enough. Get him back in the middle as a 10.
    6. Plata and Yura are wastes of space
    7. Savarino is our only hope
    8. Nick Rimando is still God

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whoscored stats for this game are UGLY. For both teams, honestly. I've never seen a goal scorer get rated as low as Shipp is. I've also never seen a game that felt as one sided as this one did (and a lot of the stats show that) be as close as it was in terms of player rating and expected result.

andyslc repped this.
  11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half a game, half of 15's 15 game comments.

I'll be honest, I couldn't sleep for whatever reason Friday night, and only got ~2.5 hours. By game time I was dead and wound up taking a nap. I briefly remember waking up when I heard they scored, then it was roughly the 60th when I woke up. It seemed like we looked ok in the second half, but it's not like Seattle has been playing great ball. We still have a lot of things to figure out, but I'll take the minor positives along the way.

12. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny--I slept through part of it, too, but I didn't think I'd admit as much here until I read your post. I miss the good old days when we complained about always coming in second for everything.

15 to 32 repped this.
  13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've learned I have a really hard time functioning like a normal person. After so many years working graves, plus being a night owl to begin with, trying to sleep during normal hours is rough. Usually I fare better, but it just wasn't happening.

On top of it all, I hadn't even noticed it was an afternoon game until Friday. I just assumed it'd be ~6-7pm since it was in Seattle. Afternoon games are the worst.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At minute 35, I hit record on the VCR and napped for 90 minutes, then resumed watching. So sleep seems a theme for this game at least.

15. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a VCR?!

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually yes, upstairs in the "just in case" scenario. But I meant DVR. :)

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I am without even a DVR. Not paying a stupid fee to Comcast just for the perk of having things recorded. Granted they do have their on demand stuff, which lets me keep up with a few shows I watch that aren't no Hulu, so it's kind of like a pseudo DVR. I'll probably wind up ditching them entirely in the near future depending on how the web tv stuff pans out. It seems like the YouTube service will have the best sports options, but I'm holding out to see what other channels will be available before jumping ship. Paying ~40/mo will be far better in the long run.

18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Just in case" as in a zombie apocalypse? Nice to know that you will be able to enjoy for favorite old films if you can't get to Red Box at Smith's.

19. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I am back, actually got back last night. It was a nice atmosphere, but I was felt underwhelmed that could have been being near the marching band, or the poor play by both teams. But overall I enjoyed my experience. A plus was getting from Redmond/Bellevue area on one bus to the stadium and not paying for downtown parking was a plus. I know not much on the game itself nut I don't really have much to say anyhow.

Allez RSL, 15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.