RSL 2017 Game 13 5/31 RSL @ HOU 6:30 MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by andyslc, May 30, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're also new to the MLS, so not being good is understandable. We've been in the league long enough to know what it takes to be good. We had one of the best teams in the league for a stretch. There's no excuse for being as poor as we are.

As far as this game went, I had already mentally checked out by the end of the first half. I had it on in the background for the second half and turned it off after the 5th goal.

While Plata's goal was nice, the attitude around it was poor, imo. I feel like it's a bit rude to the coach to force yourself to stay on the field when you were going to be subbed. It just capped off the night for him after abandoning his mark on the second goal. He barely looked interested in following Alex for the few steps he actually took trying to 'defend' him. Even still, there was plenty of time for someone else to step forward, and everyone else just watched him.

I really hope the reinforcements Andy loves to tweet about actually happen. And that they're actually defenders. I think we could have something to build off of if we had Glad/New CB, and a new CF because Silva isn't good, and Yura isn't pulling his weight. A front 3 of Savarino/New CF/Lennon would likely be quite fun to watch.

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe these 2 statements aren't unrelated.

Ismitje, TheBiff, Todorojo and 2 others repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanna believe were gonna get Sargent, too

RSLer repped this.
  4. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can RSL convert him to play on the wing?

DrownedElf, RSLer, Lizzie Bee and 3 others repped this.
  5. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I am ready to test Lennon as a striker and keep 2 other wingers on the field. Lennon is better with his feet than our other strikers, and although he might not have the body to hold up the ball against big center backs, he does have the speed to beat them to through balls, and could drop deep in possession just like Silva is now. At this point, why the heck not try it out?

DrownedElf, RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Also, regarding Plata, the thing that really bothered me about him was actually in last Saturdays game more than today. He hadn't scored all season, Savarino completely sets him up with a sitter that even Plata couldn't screw up, and how does he react after the goal? Runs right past Savarino and acts like he had done it all himself. If I go 10 games without a goal as someone who should be scoring them, and my teammate who could have just tried to take the shot himself completely sets me up on a platter... I am going to him first, or pointing at him, or doing something to show my appreciation. I am not running past him like he wasn't involved in my excellence and running over in front of the fans like I am the greatest player they have ever seen. That goal had so little to do with Plata and so much more to do with the setup.

Taragui and goobx1 repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarino was a bit perplexed on the play, too, if you watch the highlight. The two of them worked that goal wonderfully. In an ideal world, they each get equal credit for the goal and the assist.

That sort of intricate play is what this team needs to do more. Get the ball central at our play makers feet. Stop going wide and then saying "well we have to cross". Wing play does not have to be crossing play. You can use width to create channels to work in and dart through. Barca is the king of this. You don't see them move the ball wide and then whip it into Messi's head. They work it wide to create a gap for Messi and Co. to exploit

Todorojo repped this.
  8. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yura is 1/2 as active and fast as he was in the day. He's also 20-30 pounds heavier. Dude needs to hit the nutri-system or something...and he's not the only one...

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his first stint here he was polarizing. You loved him or hated him. I was in the latter group because his shots tended to go into the 20th row or higher and he was very selfish. So many times he had unmarked teammates with open goals in front of them and he very, very rarely passed the ball to them. The teammates were pretty frustrated and I don't think any of them shed a tear when he left. On the other hand, he had great qualities you want to see in a striker. He was fast with the ball at his feet. He was big and strong and used his physicality to create space for his shots. He was actually very good at that. When he attacked it forced defenders to abandon their assigned marks to try and stop him...that's why his teammates were open so often.His touch receiving the ball was about like it is now...very poor at times, ok at times.

He blossomed after going to Europe. His shots became more accurate and he learned to serve the ball better to his teammates. But since his last major injury he has been a shadow of THAT Yura.

15 to 32, Lizzie Bee and Todorojo repped this.