RSL 2017 Game 12: NYCFC at Salt Lake, Weds. 17 May 7:00 MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, May 14, 2017.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarino has earned his spot in the starting eleven going forward.

15 to 32, rslfanboy, RSLer and 3 others repped this.
  2. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Mullholland still going 100% in the 86th minute. Someone is boosting thier stamina. He's probably loving having Petke as a coach. Mullholland is exactly a Petke guy. Just works his butt off.

3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man this Dunny Silva bromance has to end!

Todorojo repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After minute ten or so, this has been our best performance of the season.

And it wasn't just Mulholland, it was everyone still busting their asses at the end of the game.

goobx1, georg and RSLer repped this.
  5. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    WE DID IT?

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what to do with the positive feelings. Apparently we need to call on the soccer gods to give us bad weather every game. It seems to suit us.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is why he's worth having. Not a great player, but one who will actually set a good example for the youngsters.

8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL is now 3-0-0 all time against NYC.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It feels like the literal Phoenix rising from the ashes.

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it turns out, I was wrong. In his post-game press conference Petkov said that after conducting the concussion protocol the doctor recommended that Yura not play the second half. Petkov also said that he and Plata are at a good point right now and that Plata has embraced the fact that he needs to play better.

georg repped this.
  11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this team can have a couple more players on the pitch who are dangerous scoring threats, Ruznak, Plata, Savarino, the space will open up for Yura. Past few matches teams have simply surrounded Yura and shut down RSL 's attack.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petke said in the postgame that team doctors advised Yura coming off at halftime after taking a ball awkwardly to the head.

13. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt while the game was good, Schuler had some scary touches, but he made up for his mistakes. I could be wrong but it was what I observed from my seat.

PumaJohnny, RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Schmidt did okay, but he isn't an outside back. WAY too slow. He got burned repeatedly.

Also, I love how everyone's reaction here has laughter to the first goal. I did the same thing as I heard it on the radio on my way to the game late.

Todorojo and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Laughed my guts out at the game after the first goal. Just five minutes before we were talking about how nice it would be if RSL could keep NYCFC off the board for 10 minutes.

Hope it snows in Seattle.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the radio guys called Shuler the MOTM. A bit of a stretch, but apparently he did some good things defensively. I know that on Villa's point blank shot at Rimando, Shuler was positioned to keep Villa from passing across the front of the net to a teammate. Nonetheless, Rusnak has to be the MOTM. 1 goal, 1 assist. He and Sava seem to work fairly well together given they have only had a few days together.

17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarino will continue to throw me off, because it sounds too similar to Saborio. Hopefully he winds up as good as Sabo was for us.

18. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarino and Rusnák both looked amazing out there. Good to see a combination of energy and ability on the field. (Loved it when Rusnák would not let Pirlo turn on him with the ball, and for some reason he refused to backpass on that play.) Schuler made me exceptionally nervous, but he knows how to get those long legs onto the ball with a tackle.

On the other side, NYC didn’t look like worldbeaters out there.

19. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's two exact score predictions in a row. Time to start a religion, or found a stock advisory company. Still sad I wasn't right about the pigeon, unless you count Maund.

TheBiff, 15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  20. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stick with your gut next time! I had a great time all by me onesie, trying to keep my reactions subdued. Everyone else was there watching lame shooty hoops.

21. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 PumaJohnny, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Props for trying a bicycle kick and almost nailing it.

22. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a few minutes late to the game and missed the NYC goal, so I didn't see Schuler's major flub, but I agree that what I saw was excellent. He had tons of clearances and his job got harder as the game went on. When we went up 2-1, NYC subbed in both David Villa and Harrison. David Villa made some great runs, but Schuler smothered everything else.

I got the impression that Viera thought he's rest David Villa and Harrison for an easy midweek game, saw his team go down a goal, and then tried to salvage some points bringing them in but it was too little, too late.

His post-game quote confirms this: “The defeat today is mine,” Vieira said. “It’s me who is responsible for the loss today because the selection of the team wasn’t good enough to compete against Salt Lake and I take full responsibility for the performance of the team today.”

RSLer repped this.
  23. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought these pics of NYC practicing at RSL's field were interesting: https://www.nycfc.com/post/2017/05/17/photos-training-salt-lake

upload_2017-5-18_3-51-25.png

I drove by randomly as the USWNT was practicing there once before. Has anyone ever attended another team's practice there? I imagine whether they allow you to hang out and watch varies by team, but this seems like a great way to get a look at another team and maybe snag an autograph.

RSLer repped this.
  24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I was a few minutes late to the game and missed the NYC goal, so I didn't see Schuler's major flub, He could have done better, but he was also victimized by an unlucky bounce off of KBs extended leg that went straight back to the attacker.

2. I got the impression that Viera thought he's rest David Villa and Harrison for an easy midweek game, saw his team go down a goal, and then tried to salvage some points bringing them in but it was too little, too late. That's exactly right, and you can't blame him for the tactic given their compressed schedule this week and there's no way he could know that we have several ALL SNOW TEAM players.. It still almost worked. When Villa came on NYC dominated the next several minutes of the game. I'm still not sure how they didn't score again.

25. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to the team doctors for being doctors.

Ismitje, RSLer, goobx1 and 1 other person repped this.