RSL 2017 - 18 Offseason

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by BalanceUT, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SpiffCoug, RSLer, Todorojo and 1 other person repped this.
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Can it be a trusted opinion when the biggest loss is Chris Wingert? I would have definitely gone with Chad Barrett. Gonna miss the horse, bear, and lion podcast.

Todorojo repped this.
  3. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than RSL, then Seattle is probably the only other choice to win the conference, but it's hard to say that anyone is a strong favorite.

Todorojo repped this.
  4. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your jest but Wingert might be our biggest loss... Let's let that sink in.

Allez RSL, RSLer, Todorojo and 2 others repped this.
  5. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree. I think it could have saved it a little to put the RSL above it, but as it is, the socks look weird. Though, it is also weird that of the whole uniform, I am complaining about socks...

The blue on the shorts looks similar to the blue on the white shorts we had in the secondaries a couple of years ago. I like it. I think adding the blue as an accent ties the uniform together better.

6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I slept till April Fools Day?

Lizzie Bee and BalanceUT repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um... that article doesn't say we're picked to win the west. It says some think we would be a good contender, but "...has plenty of folks tabbing RSL as a trendy pick to contend in the West" isn't the line you use on the team you think wins the conference.

We have a lot of young talent on this team with just a bit of MLS experience under their belts. That could be the best or worst part of the club. The fear that Rusnak has tape out there to shut him down, the fear that Acosta and the other academy kids will have slump years, the fear that Savarino is the next Paulo Jr, etc etc. This team is built to be really good, but has the small nagging fear that they are just too raw to pull it out.

I believe in the group, but I'm not as confident as I was in say 2010/2011 in the club just yet

8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again I got fooled by a fake article title. I enjoy commenting on articles that I never read...until I get exposed.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, the article does tab RSL as 1st in the west under the commentary. Seattle is number 2 and Portland is much further down that I would have expected. They also think NYCFC will win the east...

Savarino would have to take a HUGE freaking step backwards to be the next Paulo Jr. Paulo Jr wasn't ever a full time starter was he? He had some really good games before he got hurt, but I don't think he can compare to what we have in Savarino right now.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1160 15 to 32, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    for whatever reason I glossed over that last part about "Ben Baer's 2018 Prediction". Not picking TFC in the East is just him being different for the sake of being different. The league is again TFC's to lose. Saying otherwise is just being contrarian for the fun of it.

What is interesting in this thing is that the people who write the recaps for the teams are NOT the same as the guy giving predictions. So you get commentary like "they could contend" with a "they'll win the West" prediction.

Todorojo repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They rank each team in each conference - or Ben Baer does. RSL #1. :)

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Split the difference. We're definitely a top 10 team, probably around 7 or 8 right now in my book.

1. TFC
    2. ATL
    3. NYC
    4. SEA
    5. POR
    6. CLB
    7. RSL

RSLer and Todorojo repped this.
  14. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ESPN rankings seem to be based more on last year's overall standings than anything that happened in the off-season.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  15. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best cuss words that I ever heard was when I was in boot camp. My drill instructors were Rembrandts when it came to the quality of cuss words, so much so that it made you laugh at all the different ways they could cuss and string phrases together.

But, nobody can hold a flame to R. Lee Emery in Full Metal Jacket.

SpiffCoug and RSLer repped this.