RSL 2017 - 18 Offseason

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by BalanceUT, Oct 22, 2017.

1. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We gotta embrace the local weirdness.

Someone makes a great play - the announcer says "All in Favor" and everyone raises their hand. Ref makes a bad call - the announcer says "Any Opposed" and half the crowd raises their hands.

This needs to happen.

We could also pass trays of sour patch kids down the aisles.

jdfoote, pate, Ivensor and 3 others repped this.
  2. andyslc

andyslc No Longer a New Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Fargo
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Brother-In-Law is a manager there.
    And per the conversation about supporters group and being involved, I think @SALTLAKEJAKE mentioned somethings in the podcast for the week running up to the first home match that I might or most likely go to.

SALTLAKEJAKE repped this.
  3. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    When there’s a bad call, all the fans chant “oh my heck” and when the opposing GK kicks a goal kick everyone yells “you’re not very good mother father”

4. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    You can bring drums

http://riotintostadium.com/guide/

5. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I've never heard more substitutes for cuss words until I moved to Utah. One of the weirdest ones I've heard while living here is "fetch!" I don't hear it often, but I've only heard it here. Another one that a co-worker of mine uses is "Fug" or "Fugger".

I guess it's better than outright cussing but it's kind of... funny.

6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1131 RoyalNonesuch, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    See, what Boz is talking about would be a clever way to dance around the Spanish goalkeeper curse-taunt.

7. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    One of my pet peeves. If you're going to cuss then cuss. The substitute words are not fooling anyone. We all know what is really being said. If your vocabulary is so weak that you have to add those words for emphasis pretending that you aren't using them is just silly.

DrownedElf repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can tell what quarter, how (overly) intense, and how close a church-ball game is based upon the volume of substitute swear words.

RSLer, Ismitje, Ivensor and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Interesting that there aren't restrictions for louder or larger noise-making devices that might disturb or infringe upon the space of others. I seriously thought you would have to get some sort of advance permission.

Looks like I'll be loading up the trombone and bass drum to bring on game day.

Lizzie Bee, RSLer, Boz and 2 others repped this.
  10. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I could get behind a sad trombone being played after a player makes a mistake. Like a flubbed corner or free kick, right in the player's ear.

11. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Cussing is an art form that should be embraced. One of my coworkers always goes "Faaahhh" whenever something goes wrong. Just add the "ck" to the end and be done with it.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swore for one season back in the day. I redshirted on a collegiate soccer team, and I modeled what I was trying to accomplish in terms of growth on what the team captain did on the field. And man, could he ever swear! Not just normal swearing either, but swearing with interesting and unexpected combinations of words, alliteration where you wouldn't expect it, and some real feeling. So I went all in for that season, but after that, I couldn't keep it up because what came natural to him was too much work for me. Ah, well.

Lizzie Bee and RSLer repped this.
  13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I've always felt. I've never had a problem with swearing, or people swearing around me. I find it funny how certain versions of a word are fine, but this one is 'bad'. I try and look at the what the person is saying overall, instead of whether they swore or not.

14. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take profanity very seriously. Vulgarity, not a big deal. It serves an important emotional function.

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Behaviors and objects that are determined to be a nuisance are banned all the time. I don't think it's absurd or ridiculous that the team has banned vuvuzelas/plastic horns.

16. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You're correct, Allez. The Club has every right to ban anything they want. Fans, however, can cry all they want but it obviously has not been loud enough to reach the ears of the FO.

Their house, their rules. Not yours, or the person behind you crying about your drum.

17. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a constitutional right to bear drums, even if harms others, or so I'm told.

I hear you.

18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have actually been studies on the usage of cuss words and it's relation to a person's fluency in a language, basically research has shown that a person's expanded usage of cuss words does not make a person less intelligent and that actually with expanded usage of cuss words a person was more likely to have a larger overall vocabulary and better "verbal ability" (basically they are better at describing something).

Taboo word fluency and knowledge of slurs and general pejoratives: deconstructing the poverty-of-vocabulary myth
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S038800011400151X

19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Lizzie Bee, BalanceUT and Allez RSL repped this.
  20. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    Or at least be creative with it.

Faaaaaahhh! Crying out loud!

Allez RSL repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I just go with Ralpie from A Christmas Story:

22. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have my kids Sunday evening through Thursday evening every week, so my vocabulary goes through a drastic transition every Sunday around 7:30 p.m.

"Oh, fuuuuu .... uhhh ... udgesicle."

The Franchise and ReAl Football Fan repped this.
  23. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a stepparent, I can attest to this principle.

24. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this jersey review, the shorts feature some cobalt. I'm not a fan of the cobalt shorts, but I guess the stripe is aiming to appease the cobalt fans? (I hadn't seen this accent on the shorts until now, so I'm sorry if this has been posted previously.)

[​IMG]

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF is up with the stripe on the home sock? The stripe on the shorts looks alright, but the socks are so out of place. Why couldn't the put the stripe at the top, or at least in the same spot as the away socks where it looks a lot less out of place?

15 to 32 repped this.