RSL 2015 Game 8: San Jose at Salt Lake, Fri. 1 May 8 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Apr 28, 2015.

1. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the best play of the game unfortunately. How much play time is he getting?

2. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask him why he didn't play the previous game.

3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    #103 goobx1, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

No, not too big.

Attached Files:

4. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    My point exactly. When a team only has Sabo or Sandoval as forwards the team is in trouble. I don't know what game some of you are watching but Sabo does absolutely nothing out there and Sandoval gives the defenders at least some trouble. Real needs different forwards this year!!

5. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I was going to respond to this, but it is to hard to stop laughing.

6. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Why? I don't generally agree with phills, but that is pretty much exactly what happened this game.

7. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    I agree, the Saucedo clip is nice. But the thing that was the highlight of the game was Vasquez' shorts.

TheBiff and Ismitje repped this.
  8. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He really is Salcedo 2.0

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What trouble does Sandoval give defenders? If you lead a pass to him, he's too slow to get on the end of it. If the ball is in the air he doesn't have the aerial ability to get on it. So I guess if you want a less mobile Sabo, then Sandoval is better.

10. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Generally speaking, not much. In this game though he did just as much, if not more than Sabo which is why my comment specified this most recent outing. He's also right in that if you are relying on Sabo and Sandoval you're in trouble. You can dispute that, but you'll have a hard time finding facts to back it up. Sabo hasn't been Sabo for a while now.

11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard truth for many Sabo Lovers on this thread is that Sabo has flat out sucked for a while. While Sandoval is not the answer, at least he works when he is on the pitch, personally I hope both get shipped out and the FO gets us a striker that can strike. Garcia, Jaime, Sandoval, Sabo, these four are not going to get it done.

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only sucked this year. He was at the same level last year for us. I don't see how you can say Sandoval works, but Sabo doesn't. Sabo has been getting back on defense, and he's also been one to put some pressure on the GK/CB's when the ball is being played back there. His offense hasn't worked so far this year, but I don't think you can say Sandoval has put in more work. At the very least they're even in that department.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandoval is a terrific fifth forward in a two forward set. Right now he's the fourth forward in a three forward set, which is the problem.

TheBiff, Taragui, 15 to 32 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's been about a year since Sabo has scored a goal in the run of play. He started off last season well, was injured, and is now playing poorly. Despite what Javi might have you believe players generally decline as they get older. Sabo has declined significantly. Again, you can dispute it if you want, but facts are not swinging in your favor.

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far they're not, and I'll give you that. But out of any forward in our history, he's been the best of all of them. I'll always give someone more of a shot when they're overall body of work has shown they're worth it. This very well could be the end of him, but name another forward that has been better for us. I just thing it's crazy that everyone wants to drop the guy that's been the most consistent for us over the years.

Sabo has been one of those forwards that for whatever reason a lot of people seemed to hate. I figure it's because he looked 'lazy' because he wasn't sprinting around the field all game. The funny thing is, despite it all, he quietly put up numbers better than any forward we've ever had. People pine for a guy like Movsisyan, who while with us, put up terrible numbers by comparison. Sure he went on to improve upon what he was for us, but while with us, he was known for skying more shots into the top rows vs what he actually scored. It's just interesting overall, because those type of guys scored a number of highlight goals, which people remember. Aside from that sweet back heel, and scoring on his literal first touch from coming back from a long injury, I can't actually recall many Sabo goals. He quietly put in goals at a rate of .5-.6 goals per game, far more consistent then any forward, yet people still managed to hate him all along.

And even though Sabo has been poor so far, everyone seems to completely ignore how terrible KB has been for this team. We boosted him to a DP level, and so far he's been a shadow of what we've been used to. He's been that rock we've been used to for years, and this year he's one of the guys that could probably be benched and we wouldn't even notice it.

So far this season, there's not many people I'd give an A grade to. I'd say the guys that have been top of the heap have been Rimando, Javi, Olave, Attinella, and Vasquez. The guys under them I'd say are Mulholland, Beltran (for defense), Phillips (average 2 way play), and KB depending on the game. After that we've had a mix of good/bad performances all around. I'm not sure if this is a coaching problem, or a player problem, or a mix of both. I think our defense has been good overall, but for whatever reason our offense just isn't clicking bar Javi.

Overall I don't think it's one problem in general, but a mix of a number of issues. If we're going to continue to keep a target forward, then Sabo/Sandoval will need to get out of their funk, and get some better service. If Gil is supposed to be the future, then he needs to actually step up, and stop looking like a training cone. Olmes needs to actually try and attack the goal, instead of just running around all game. I think Plata will help, but that's a good month out before he's really doing anything for the team. This is also the year Jaime will either need to show big improvement, or he'll need to be dropped. I'd like to think that a forward combo of Plata/Sabo/(Jaime/Allen/Saucedo) could be efficient, but we're at least a month out before we can even start to see those combos in action. Time will tell if it's too late, or if we go on a tear from July+

Ismitje and RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  16. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I agree with almost everything you typed. Here is what I don't agree with:

Sabo has not only scored the most, but has in my opinion scored some of RSL's niftiest and best goals. My biggest complaint about Sabo has been his inability lately to create goals for himself. It drives me insane when I bring this up because there is always someone who says, "Sabo has never been the type to create a goal for himself." That's not true. Sabo has scored some pretty sensational goals with RSL. Sure his signature goal is with his head, and he has scored most of his goals that way, but there are several goals he used to score that I simply don't see him scoring anymore. Here are a few (I'll just provide links as not to crowd the thread with videos):

It seems as though any time the guy takes a shot with his foot he shanks it. Remember the Vancouver game? Well, that wasn't always the case. Same opponent different result:

I can't even remember the last time I've seen a first touch like this from Sabo:

or this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9t8o9cwjyA

Oh by the way he could never create for himself whether it was space:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWuE-BAKEEU
    or just with the ball at his feet (as illustrated by probably my favorite Sabo goal of all time)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXJh7sfliuA

Then he had the heel flick as you mentioned:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX3YzdaKZFs
    And then a forgotten heel flick:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUGqH35aDxo

Then some favorites...because I'm a sucker for chips:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Tbm3uiXeg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwTliw-HFas (goal #3 at 2:10)

Sorry for a wall of text (just enjoy the goals). I love and appreciate what Sabo has done. He has provided RSL with some of my all time favorite goals. It's a common misconception that he was only good for PK's and headers. The man scored all sorts of different goals for RSL. I'm just not seeing it anymore. He lacks the touch and blows every opportunity he is given. I could and hope to be wrong, but this time it doesn't really look like a slump. I remember when Findley lost it everyone was quick to defend him saying that he has become a provider instead of a goalscorer (because he had a few assists). It was tough to see a player they admired drop and they just couldn't admit that his time had probably come and gone. I'm afraid that's probably the case with Sabo. As for his replacement I don't see anyone on the team filling it, so he'll probably continue to play. Personally though, I don't think he'll produce like he did in the past.

Edit: Sorry those were all supposed to be links.

DrownedElf, TheBiff, rslfanboy and 4 others repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. We suck
    2. Like really really really suck
    3. If this new interpretation off the offside law is accurate, then this is ridiculous. You are essentially punished for trying to play a ball. How the hell does that make sense? Oh, so you're saying that we should just not try to play the ball if the guy is off? Tell me how that worked out for Man United... The (apparently) old interpretation stated that the "defending" team had to get possession in order for the line to reset. In this new interpretation, you could literally have forwards go cherry pick and have your midfielders try to ping the ball off of defenders into their path. I know it's a strange hypothetical, but that is now legal apparently.
    4. Remember that time we completed more than 3 passes over the midfield stripe? It was in 2014.
    5. Kyle Beckerman should have been sent off. This guy is so pissed right now. You can see it in his play. His post game comments were pretty candid, even for him.
    6. With how we "attack" we could have ********ing Zlatan up top for Sabo - we're not going to score. In order to do that, we'd have to actually get the ball up there. And not just through a long ball where Sabo/Zlatan then has to beat the entire backline.
    7. I'm ********ing done with Luis Gil. Yet again, another chance to take the number 10 spot and make a mark. What did he do? Absolutely nothing. The kid doesn't even have the work rate like he used to. He's just going through the motions.
    8. There was a moment in the second half, shortly after the OG, where Gil won the ball next to our own 18. He did well to start an "attack" by passing the ball out of pressure. Now, as the number ten, he should have been busting his ass up the field to support the forwards. You know, getting to where the AM should be. What did he do? He jogged. The ball ended up on the left side of our offensive 18, I believe at Saucedo's feet. There was a gap about 10 yards wide where Gil should have been on the top of the 18 for a short cross. Where was gil? The center circle still jogging his ass up field.
    9. Luke Mulholland had a 15 minute sequence in the second half where every single pass he made was a turnover. Every single one. He fixed it and then 5 minutes later got subbed. I've never seen Luke play that poorly.
    10. Elias Vasquez is the shit. Burn the rest of the team but save that kid and a few of the others. At least he cares. And those legs are going to win over a shit ton of ladies.
    11. Can someone explain to me why Demar Phillips didn't play in this game. I didn't see him on the XI so assumed he was hurt and out of the 18. To see him on the bench but not subbed in was frustrating. Mansally does some stuff well, but we could really use someone on the left side of the field who can cross the ball.
    12. Olmes Garcia is a guy that I just can't figure out. Some days I think he'll be a great player, others I think we had a big miss. This game was another miss, for the most part. The kid has the tools to create for himself but never does. It's confusing as hell.
    13. That this team didn't come out in the second half balls to the wall and pressing was frustrating. It's a coaching thing at this time. Stop being proud of the guys for running around, Cassar. Make them ********ing work.
    14. We're in for a long ass season if things don't make a 180. We have gone 4 games without scoring. We have had multiple 0 SOG's game (this one yet another). This is just flat out unacceptable. Especially at home. We never looked like a team that was going to score. It was just pathetic.
    15. ******** Wondo and his inability to finish against Belgium but finishes that.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love me some Sabo
    One thing I want you to watch in these clips and how we've played this year - the distance from Sabo and the next RSL player.

19. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    The midfield is playing poorly, but Sabo DOES have chances to do things and doesn't. He has had a poor first touch, less than stellar holdup play, and I guarantee if we saw the stats he would have an abysmal pass percentage. It may seem like I'm picking on Sabo. I'm not, the whole team is terrible. He's just the one who is defended to death by forum goers, so I have to make my point abundantly clear. Anyway if Zlatan was on the team we would score. Did you watch PSG when he first joined?

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing that stood out to me, especially in the ones where Sabo finishes with his feet, he gets the ball much closer to the 18. The support. is higher, closer, and much more active.

I'm not trying to say that Sabo isn't playing well. He's been shit. But buying a striker doesn't fix this shit storm. This team needs an overhaul past the CB's. I notice you agree with that, so we're not arguing that point either. People, like myself, just get very frustrated when the complaint is "our offense sucks - trade Sabo" that doesn't do much if you don't fix whats going on behind him. We don't get 0 SOG's because Sabo flat out sucks. We get 0 SOG's because we just don't create opportunities as a team anymore.

RoyalNonesuch and Allez RSL repped this.
  21. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Sabo hasn't been getting the same support or distribution that he used to.

I also wonder how effective Plata will be when he gets back. He had the same injury as Sabo, and Sabo hasn't really been the same since his injury. If the injury has played into Sabo's current form, it's possible Plata could run into the same problem.

22. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah, the team as a whole has been bad. I wouldn't mind seeing some drastic changes in the Summer window. I mean, what have we got to lose?

Did anyone else notice how far back Javi was playing this game? I think another problem is that RSL is concentrating a bit TOO much on defense. A good defensive line isn't the only reason we're limiting opposing shots. I feel like the entire team is playing far too deep.

15 to 32 repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This bugs me too
    I feel it has to do with a lack of understanding on who does what. With the diamond, it was pretty rigid, but you knew how the team would defend. Outside the diagonal, it was pretty effective at times. I get moving out of that (so you outside backs aren't on islands) but we don't defend a consistent way. It's more just a swarm and get the ball approach.

What's funny is that you see Javi do one of two extremes. Either he is way high, making me feel like we're playing a 4-2-3-1 or he is way too deep and it feels like a 4-5-1 where the 5 in the middle are almost flat. Bottom line, the team's shape is atrocious. Go freeze the picture any time we win the ball. The movement is shit. Runs are vertical, nobody moves for support. It's rec stuff.

24. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What worries me the most is that Plata is going to come back and everyone is going to expect him to drop 10-15 goals no problem. I get the impression from a lot of folks that the reason we're struggling to score goals is because Plata is out. That's just not the case at all and if people think the vitriol surrounding our offensive woes is bad now, come mid to late June when Plata has a few games under his belt and we're still not scoring there are going to be serious torches and pitchforks coming out.

don't expect Plata to be the savior, there are more fundamental reasons for why we are not scoring right now. It's going to take him time to work back into the gameplay, remember he also has to learn this new formation. Really though, outside the strong defensive and goalkeeping, and javi performances this team has been a disaster. Nobody in front of Vasquez, apart from javi, is playing anywhere near a high level.

TheBiff, Kratisto, SenordrummeR2 and 2 others repped this.
  25. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    12. re: Olmes - he flops it all out of himself, leaving his play making 'on the field'. Literally. He wastes far too much energy trying to draw fouls and calls. I miss the Olmes that would high tail it downfield on a long ball and threaten the other team. He also needs to work on ball skills - if he had what Saucedo or Allen has (or showed it if he's got it), then he'd be a killer player (sans floppsies).

14. Other teams play Money Ball, RSL's playing Muddy Ball. As in, they look like they're playing in a giant mud pit and so nothing goes right. Also as in - they're covered in s*#@ and stink.
    15. Well, in the Belgium game that would've been offsides. Ricochet <> possession and <> playing it backwards. Stupid ref.

Speaking of stupid calls, about half of those highlights of Sabo wouldn't have happened with the ref last weekend. Apparently touching another player is a foul now, so any form of getting distance, holding off the other player, knocking someone off balance that you see in every other MLS game (and most EPL games) are forbidden...