RSL 2015 Game 3: Toronto at Salt Lake, Sun 29 Mar 5 pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say Olmes has been out and out productive. He runs around a lot, which makes him look busy, which shouldn't be confused with effective play.

This always reminds me of the 'Sabo is lazy' arguments. Moving around a lot doesn't mean you're doing better. It just means you're moving around a lot. Different people will have different roles. A guy like Sabo or Sandoval are generally going to look lazier, because of their role in the system. A box to box mid will look more active than a stay at home DM. KB can sometimes appear lazy, because he's not running around all over. However, he's extremely effective, because he's amazing at intercepting passing lanes and has a great passing/possession game.

TLDR; Don't just judge people based on how much they ran during the game.

While I'm at it I'll actually throw some praise to Sandoval. I'm still not sold on him, but I thought he had a good game. That second goal doesn't happen without him fighting off a couple players.

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% agree on the Sandoval comment. Without his strength in holding possession the second goal does not happen. Now point to one moment in the last match where Jaime made a difference? Olmes despite his poor decisions at times is still a part of play. Jaime more times than not looks very content in being marked and invisible to the attack. if Jaime wants to succeed at RSL he needs to earn his minutes. Enough excuses.

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can easily point out Olmes skying shots into the stands when he had better options to pass to. Same thing with his weak shot at the keeper. All he had to do was slot it over to Sandoval for the easy tap in. Sure he was involved, but his decision making was rather poor. That's why I'd say neither had a great game. Jaime didn't do much, but he did hacked quite a bit and drew some fouls. Olmes was running around all over as usual, and could've possibly cost us points because he didn't make the simple pass(es). Both need to improve, imo. I'm just not going to completely write off Jaime like everyone seems to. Given the amount of time we scouted him, I'm going to have some faith that we know wtf we're doing. As I've said before, if there's no solid improvement by the end of the year, by all means give him the boot.

I still find it funny that everyone thinks we should just get rid of Jaime, who hasn't even been with us for a year, but people like Gil and Olmes we'll keep giving passes on. Given the wages we pay both of them, there should be quite a bit more outcry for them to make good. But we'll just yell at Jaime instead, even though he's been with us for far less time.

4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the 'Jaime is a DP' argument, that's only the buyout that made it so. When you look at the salary numbers, he's paid less than Gil. Gil is listed as 220k base salary, 315k guaranteed. Jaime is at 216k base and guaranteed. Olmes is at 125k. If you want to get upset at a player, be upset at Gil. He's been making bank for years, and hasn't done anything to earn it.

goobx1 and UPinSLC repped this.
  5. Pudro

Pudro New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Sandy, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait you mean Alecko and Jamie Watson running around like a chicken with their head cut off, wasn't the best forwards we have ever had?

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when people didn't like Andy Williams because he was lazy? good times

7. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    To be fair, until Jason took over and insisted that Andy show up at the beginning of the season fit rather than spending 1/2 the season playing himself into fitness, it was a VERY fair criticism. The running joke was that Andy always misunderstood the instructions and showed up at the beginning of the season in a shape: "pear".

Jason resurrected Andy's career...or, to be more accurate...Andy's acceptance of what the new rules were to be able to get playing time resurrected his career. A fit Andy was an absolute pleasure to watch. Fat Andy was not.

BalanceUT, Allez RSL and Ismitje repped this.
  8. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple photos I took on Sunday to give perspective of how the crowd looked:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boz, RoyalNonesuch and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bunch of heathen sinners, all of them!

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have worn a dress so it looked like I came straight from church.

Taragui, Boz, Allez RSL and 1 other person repped this.
  11. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it has a collar, long sleeves and doesn't show anything above your ankles.

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah, I need to edit the few photos I took from the game. This week has been crazy with work.

13. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Very late but mansally had a decent game.
    I honestly forgot he was playing which is probably the best thing you could say about him.

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    @ Lizzie Bee, you must sit pretty close to where I do!

15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the most part, a defender who becomes invisible is a defender playing well.

16. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's stick Gil on defense.

15 to 32, JLaw, TheBiff and 4 others repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the murderous tackles you get with Mansally, I'm not too against this idea initially.
    But if it means more time until we see Justin Glad, I'm against it