RSL 2014: RSL @ Portland, Friday, 10/17 8pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Boz, Oct 15, 2014.

1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are utterly insane, Vela sub would have been a disaster, exactly what we did not need....a guy who gives the ball away EVEN MORE than the other 10 on the field.

And a point in this game is massive, MASSIVE.

2. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's the play I'm thinking of ( Nagbe), he never would have made it there.

15 to 32 and BalanceUT repped this.
  3. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, that was about as good as the first three quarters of last night's Utah v Oregon State game. Both teams offenses sucked relatively speaking. Too bad it didn't follow last night's script with a thriller ending.

Keep in mind, this is the exact same result as this time last year. And RSL looked worse in that game compared to this one.

4. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it to late to trade Findley for Justin Braun? damn.

5. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who sucked ass more, Dres Anderson or Robbie Findley?

SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Half Empty: Sabo isn't back to being Sabo and Schuler (our Playoff MVP last year IMO) isn't near playing yet. I wanted a Sabo sub, but God, he was not ready.

Half Full: I'm kind of with you. The effort on defense was good and playoff-y tonight. That said, we could have easily lost 3-0 with just as much effort if Portland were more clinical.

7. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You think so? I think RSL doomed themselves. I see Dallas winning out and RSL playing the play-in game.

8. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an exciting end to the RSL game, but still not pleased with it. I'd rather have RSL playing well going into the playoffs than finishing in 3rd place.

9. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #134 ShaggyReAL, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    I think Grossman was the right move to get 1 point, but I'd prefer RSL play better attacking players.

georg repped this.
  10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing to have given us more attack would've been starting Plata, and having Mulholland in the starting XI. Seba has been pretty bad in most games he's played out on the side, and his defense is worse than what we had in there. While getting a win is nice, throwing caution to the wind for 3 points we don't absolutely need is stupid.

This isn't the time of the year for roster tinkering. Whether or not you agree with how the usual XI are playing, you're insane if you think tinkering with it is a good thing. You want cohesion. You wan't a team on the same page. Throwing in new starters all the time isn't how you get a team gelled and ready for the playoffs.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't matter what sport was on before. If the game goes late, it's going to cut into the next broadcast. If it were MLS first with NFL after, and the MLS game went to extra time and penalties, you can guarantee that the next event will be either delayed, or they'll cut in when the prior game is done.

Although I do recall ESPN? Having the other event start on one of the other channels until the game had finished up.

12. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    We don't really know yet if we absolutely need them. It all comes down to how Dallas plays out their season. If Dallas wins the rest of their games there was no difference in this game between getting 1 point and 0 points.

13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I meant by that, is that we're in the playoffs. While all of us would prefer to be the 3rd seed, we weren't in danger of missing the playoffs. This result hurt Portland more than it hurt us. They're still in it though, especially if Vancouver loses.

14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this quote from Fanendo Adi:

“I was already shouting goal,” Adi said of the sequence after the match. “I spoke to Darlington just now, and he said he also shouted goal. But I didn’t know where the goalkeeper came from, as I said it’s a credit to the way he played today.”

Two shutouts in a row. Make it three on Wednesday heading into the playoffs, and that's a good thing.

rslfanboy, 15 to 32 and Allez RSL repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're relying on the Rapids to get a point or three today to keep us ahead in the 3-4 playoff race.

16. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With different keepers, lacking a key starting defender. The first thing to do in most sports is to prevent losing. Once you have that under control, figure out how to win. We seem to have the defensive side in good shape, even with the replacements in the match. That's a VERY good thing.

Still, we can't beat Chivas, so this is all wasting of brain cells thinking about possibilities.

17. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL benefits from some remarkable press coverage from both the mainstream outlets in and around SLC and from a number of bloggers still active (not to mention official stuff on MLSSoccer.com). But it would be nice to have people pursue lines of questioning such as "what's up with Mulholland not being in the 18" which arise from time to time.

Allez RSL repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas wins; we're in fourth with one game to go.

19. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Now we HAVE to win and Dallas HAS to lose (at home vs Portland)

20. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well we didn't really think Dallas was going to lose to Colorado did we? Sometimes I feel Cassar has his own agenda and doesn't even bother looking at the table.

georg repped this.
  21. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massive? How massive does that point feel to you now!. Massive would have been to understand the situation we were in. The one massive point we got last night means dick. Had we played for thre points last night we would be in control of our own destiny.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had won last night while playing for three points we would be in control of our own destiny. ;)

23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had we thrown everything into winning last night and come up short with zero points, we would still be in this same position.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or in a worse position because of injury, stupid red card, etc. The fact is, this wasn't a must win game. It was far more of a must win game for Portland. Even after this weeks results, Portland isn't out, and we're not counted out of getting 3rd.

The nice thing about this weeks results, is that Portland can leap into the playoffs by beating FCD, since they play before Vancouver so they'll have everything to fight for. All we need to do is beat Chivas, and we know Portland will be going all out to get into the playoffs.

I really did want us to win and be in control of our destiny, but in the long run this wasn't a 'must win'. We had no chance of falling out of the playoffs, and while higher seeding is nice, it's not the end of the world if we have to be in the play in game.

25. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think the advantage of avoiding the play-in game was worth going all out in this game offensively. I just can't really think of any reason not to have. If three points wasn't necessary then I don't understand why one point was either. I guess that's just a difference in opinion though. If your opinion is, "meh, the play in game is no big deal," then why not just go for the full three?