RSL 2014: RSL @ Chivas USA, Sunday, 10/5 5pm MDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Boz, Oct 2, 2014.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Dallas lost, again to keep them off our backs.

2. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a thought but who in a RSL uniform outside of Balchan had the most disappointing match?

3. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were any closer to our backs the would be on our fronts.

4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was right at the top of the box, and not in it anyway. So even if you call it as a foul, it should've been right at the edge, imo.
    That was a horrible game. We seemed to have some pretty good passing, right up until we got to the final third. After that it was bad pass after bad pass. We had no killer instinct, and for a lot of the game looked like we were trying to stroll to victory. That was one of the most off games I've seen from Sabo in a long time. Poor touch, poor passing, poor shooting. Sadly on most days, he would've had at least 3 solid shots on goal, and one of them would likely have gone in.

Sucks that we lost Schuler, or else we may have had a boring stroll to a 0-0 tie. At what point is the coaching staff finally going to tell Javi he's done as the main FK guy? If he's not hitting the first defender, he's floating it into the box giving defenses plenty of time to defend it.

5. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well, the goal off the corner an eon ago (wait, a few weeks back, just seems way longer) means they'll have to suffer through Javi blowing all the good kicks on crap shots on goal. Never mind that Gil and Plata do far better...

6. Jester4422

Jester4422 Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Winning isn't everything. Just remember how many matches have sold out at the Riot this season. Priorities!

TheBiff and 15 to 32 repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 Thoughts
    1. Rich Balchan sucks ass. He was piss poor, IMO, against SacRep and was even worse in this. Even Robbie Russell knew he had to at least be able to somewhat defend as a defender. I don't give a shit about the kids offensive abilities, he is a complete and utter liability on the defensive side of the ball. This game was the last of his RSL career, mark my words.
    2. The rust on Sabo is comparable to that VW bug that has been sitting in my neighbors backyard since before I was born. Cringe worthy stuff. I understand wanting to get him back into the games to shake it off, but it honestly feels like he is getting worse rather than better through games. I think it's time to bag him as a starter and rotate him to the bench. Let him come in late and just stand in the middle to head the ball.
    3. This was the worst defensive performance from RSL since 2007. Chivas wanted to do one thing: counter. So what do we do? Keep getting sucked up high allowing space in behind. Seriously, it was some of the most basic bunker and counter tactics from Chivas - and it worked.
    4. In 180 minutes so far this year, we have been scored on twice by Chivas USA and scored 0 times. You can talk about the draws we had early in the season, the close calls with Vancouver, the tight matches with LA and Seattle, but the reason we are not at all in the SS race is because of these 2 games. 6 points this club has found a way to completely piss away.
    5. The best tackle of the night was Nat's beard on Chris Schuler. That was disgusting.
    6. Minda deserves to be two-footed in our next game against these guys. That guy is a ********, plain and simple.
    7. We've gone out and bought a stable of forwards but lack any true depth in midfield. It's killing us. We have no speed (shocker) to open up a team that wants to sit in. We need a guy in the middle of the park that can beat a player with just his feet on an occasion. We played right into Chivas game by just passing around the box.
    8. Nick Rimando was the only guy who played like he deserved a ride home. The guy saves a pk, something that should light a fire under the guys. What happens? Same shit.
    9. Games like this really make you question the locker room mentality. Most anybody can get up for a big game or one where you're considered an underdog. It takes true leadership to keep that focus when you're playing, well, Chivas USA. You are expected to win. Go out there and do it. Maybe we need to get Bruce Arena to make a cameo for us against Chivas because his teams have this focus. RSL never really has.
    10. Sebastian Jaime's addition is starting to feel like it might actually be hurting the team. We're almost forcing him (kinda like Sabo) into the lineup because of this notion that we have to. We've spent all this money, get something NOW. It isn't working. He has zero chemistry with the guys. He zigs, the other guys don't even zag. They potato. It's like he is playing one way and the other guys a complete other. Two straight games Cassar has put him into the wide position in a 3 forward set and he looks more than lost.
    11. This game reminded me of the DC United USOC disaster. We had no clue what to do once we got the ball past midfield. I don't get why more teams don't play this way against us. It's proven to be successful numerous times. If you wait to apply pressure until midfield we tend to expose ourselves. We get happy feet from the outside backs and leave our CB's on an island. So long as the opposing team maintains their defensive shape (translated: force RSL wide) RSL will give the ball away.
    12. SHOOT THE GOD DAMN BALL!!!!
    13. No, really, SHOOT IT! Zero shots on goal through the run of play. Our lone strike on goal coming from a set piece a blind kid could have saved. We're missing a player like Khari Stephenson. We have no outside threats on this team. Remember when Javi would cut in off the left (offensive) channel and curl a shot with his right foot? I miss those days. Now he cuts in and looks for a square ball to get us countered on.
    14. We are another poor performance away from finding ourselves in the play-in game. Dallas isn't going to keep dropping points to make it easy on us. At this point, though, I really don't think our playoff position much matters. Maybe losing that play-in game would be better. Rid us of our misery.
    15. The game against SJ looks suddenly like our hardest match of the season. With all the absences and current form, I don't know how this team is going to find a goal, let alone win. Food for thought: We haven't kept a clean sheet in a competitive game since August 9th. That is a run of 8 games that we've given up at least one goal. This isn't how you go into the playoffs if you want to be successful.

Taragui, Boz, UPinSLC and 4 others repped this.
  8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, was this a repeat of DCU from last year? We lost twice to the worst team in the league? Well I'll be...

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just how bad did we play in this game?
    Well, in the highlight package, we don't have an offensive clip until the 72nd minute when Plata tripped over the ball. The other highlight? Javi trying to chip Kennedy from 20+ yards out.

If this team isn't doing wind sprints today then Cassar has ********ing lost it.

10. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Honestly this game killed the last of the little hope I had of winning anything this year.
    Off-season can't come soon enough for this team, there is some serious changes that need to be made then.

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Ballchin.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you're in for a bad time, when you're actively calling for Sabo to be subbed, when he's generally a guy you want to see out there for 90. Add in Balchan, who is subbed on and plays so bad you have to sub him out, and it's that much worse.

What killed me were those outside shots Ned was taking during corner kicks. I would've rather seen him chip it into the box so the crowd of people can try and head it on goal. At the very least if you're going to shoot, I almost would've rather seen it be a low driven shot which at least gives a chance at a deflection, or something that isn't just punting it over the goal.

Javi's yellow made me mad as well. There was just no reason for the foul. It was completely cynical to just clip the guys foot as he runs by.

13. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was actually happy with the Grabs shots from distance, at least someone was pulling the ********ing trigger, a couple of them weren't THAT far off. Chipped balls into the box without Sabo are a fruitless endeavor, how many of those did we try and not get a single one even near the goal? Not a single one. According to the optastats we had 33 crosses, THIRTY THREE crosses, and not one single shot on goal from all that.

14. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My apologies to all. This result is my fault for renewing my season tickets less than 24 hours before game-time.

15. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You're fired.

SoccerPrime, Taragui and 15 to 32 repped this.