Royals Game... Whatever. Just please don't get embarrassed by NC

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Jul 20, 2018.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game tonight for the Royals against league destroying North Carolina. I expect a loss, just hopefully not an ugly one. I would take one of those boring 0-0 Royals games we had early on in the season with how bad the defense has been of late.

Weather looks to be hot but not insane like it has been the last few days: high 80's tapering off into low 80's by the end of the game. Slight breeze. Should be playable.

Would love to be wrong, but I have a feeling we might be ran off the field in this one

2nd Mouse repped this.
  2. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we played enough so that we know if we tend to play up or down to the competition? Seems like we fare poorly against the bad teams and do well against the better ones. Even so, I'm reluctantly agreeing with wiener boy, since we'll be without Sauerbrunn, A-Rod, Press and Smith in goal. Maybe our backup keeper is having dinner at Chuck-a-Rama and we'll get to see our backup-backup keeper, Becca Ritchie, who used to play at Weber State. At least it wasn't BYU.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh geez
    I totally forgot all of the USWNT players were gone. Now I'm not so sure I want to attend this borefest.

4. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's any consolation, NCC is missing about six players, too. Oh wait, that doesn't really help with the snooze-factor, does it?

5. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    Ironically, the Royals called up Colette Smith (BYU alumnus) for this game. There's almost zero chance she sees the field, but still...

6. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    Between the world cup and RSL's mini-resurgence, the Royals have sort of fallen off my radar the past month. It doesn't look good for them right now, and I'm basically in the same boat as 15 to 32: just don't get embarrassed. The one consolation for the fans/viewers is that it probably won't be boring. The Royals REALLY need to win this, as they're so awful on the road. My guess is they come out guns blazing. NC is missing a big chunk from the spine of their team, so there might be lots of goals in this one. At least that's what I'll be telling myself when I turn on the TV in an hour.

7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need I remind y'all who won last time? Geez, have some faith in your team. You're facing a squad that is missing 3/4 of its normal backline. And the much more conservative Barnie will be in goal, so no Wandering Abby to worry about.

RSLer, CoachJon and stubifier repped this.
  8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Royals want to stay in the playoff picture, they will need better performances from Gunny. She was flat-out awful against the Pride, and I'm still trying to figure out how she wasn't given at least one booking.

9. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    Good points, all of them. But I’d feel better if we had Press an Arod running at this back line, instead of Stengel.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a great save by Barnhart on the header from Erceg!

11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they still need time, but I haven't seen much in the way of chemistry between Press and A-Rod. One goal in 4 games with those two on the field together. That's..... not good. The one game where Press had chemistry with anyone was the SkyBlue game where she and Stengel were having their way with a poor SkyBlue backline.

15 to 32 repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first touch of Utah is soooooo much better than the first touch of NC.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New game, same story for both teams. Utah good defensively but anemic offensively. NC creating chances but some godawful finishing. Neither keeper has been tested other than Barnie's save on Erceg. Royals need to keep forcing the Courage into low percentage shots and then try and hit on a counter.

14. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Royals are so slow - NC is first to every 50/50 ball. Maybe the altitude will be our friend.

15 to 32 repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the gameplan- fight for every loose ball like your life depends on it. They don't call themselves the Junkyard Dogs for marketing reasons.

You could be right about the altitude, though. NC plays such a high octane style that the players could burn out more quickly than most other teams at altitude.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courage killer Ratcliffe coming in. Can she make it 3 for 3?

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun fact: North Carolina has not had a scoreless draw as the Courage, and hasn't had the double bagel since doing so against Chicago on August 23, 2015.

18. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Not good on attack. We just fall apart within 30yds.

15 to 32, stubifier and BlueCrimson repped this.
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say go get a fast winger, but you got one currently recovering.

SOTW by Corsie again?

stubifier and rslfanboy repped this.
  20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royals take the season series from the Courage. Kind of wish this game had been played with both teams at full strength, though.

21. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    Well, at least it was an “open” game, in the sense that both teams tried to play the ball on the ground and work it upfield. Our attack was slower than molasses, though. Also, the number of misplaced passes, on both sides, bordered on criminal.

22. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    The Corsie save really was a thing of beauty.

23. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    That’s actually quite incredible. But I take no joy in ending your streak.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple quick thoughts:

-Very pleasant surprise to have a nice clean game from both teams, especially the Royals. After the demolition derbies from last week, I would put money on Harvey telling the players to cut that crap out.

-Barnhart needs to start the rest of the season. Yes, she was facing a massively depleted opponent, but the Utah defense looked so much calmer tonight. It's almost like she actually trusted the defenders to do their jobs instead of trying to do it all herself.

CoachJon and RSLer repped this.
  25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't attend in person and I'm glad I made that decision. I had to hit the road at 6am on Saturday to Southern Utah and this just wasn't something I wanted to partake in prior to that. I watched it on TV. God this team is bad past the midfield stripe. No way in hell we make the playoffs. You have to win to make up ground and I have no idea where the goals are going to come from.

Really hope Harvey guts a good chunk of this team (at least offensively) in the offseason. The midfield is comically slow and the forwards are constantly left alone in the rare chance we do get the ball forward.