Royals Game 9 (like, ever) at Portland - Friday 5/25/18 at 8:30 PM

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, May 24, 2018.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would have been a good two-for-one road trip: Royals at Portland on Friday night, RSL at Seattle on Saturday afternoon. I will hope for something similar next year.

Royals are headed to Portland where, it might be said, the team began (given how Merritt Paulson courted Del Loy to join NWSL last Fall/Winter). We hosted Portland not too long ago in a 1-1 draw. The Thorns are ahead of us in the standings, in third place with a 3-3-3 record but haven't won in four games. Could be fun!

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland has played some wildly entertaining and open home games lately on Lifetime. This one doesn't get the prime time coverage, though, so maybe it'll skip the theatrics. I'd love to see a win, but I just don't see how we pull that off if Heath is on the pitch. In the few minutes she played against us at the RioT she killed us. If she goes 60+, it's in the bag for Portland

3. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland just beat Washington last weekend. It was their first win in 6 games.

This is going to be a very difficult game for the Royals. Even though Portland has lost their last two at home, Providence Park is still an extremely intimidating place to play in. By far the best atmosphere in WoSo. And even though Utah currently has the best defensive record in the league (largely thanks to the Courage having a horror show on defense last night), they might be due for a thrashing. Hopefully not another 7-1, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a blowout.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gorry picking up right where she left off in her last visit to PP- with a turnover.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many people playing streaming video games at my house tonight = too little bandwidth for me to be able to get a reliable stream on go90.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's no bueno. But at least you won't have to suffer through Lori Lindsey's idiotic "commentary".

rslfanboy repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You cannot give a player like Sinclair that type of space, or she will punish you just like that.

8. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Becky Sterling with the save!

9. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    You have to win the ball if you come off your line there.

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but the backline can't just let a player waltz into the box like Horan did.

I don't know why go90 is playing this obviously fake crowd noise. Where are the chants and where are the insanely loud cheers when Portland scored? Not cool at all.

11. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love that look from the ref. "What can I do?". Um, how bout your job?

BlueCrimson repped this.
  12. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Royals getting stretched defensively in a way they haven't all season. Backline needs to tighten up. Thorns are owning the flanks.

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't help but wonder how much of a difference having O'Hara would make. This is definitely a game where her fire could make a difference.

rslfanboy repped this.
  14. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    The Thorns are leaving lots of space in the middle of the pitch as they press forward. But we haven't been able to take advantage.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forwards need to work on the timing of their runs. They keep getting in each other's way.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams need to chill out now before someone does something stupid. It's starting to get testy.

17. stubifier

stubifier Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jan 19, 2018
    This Portland team is really easy to dislike.

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, screw this ref. That was not a foul by Gunny, so why is she getting booked?

stubifier repped this.
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I already disliked the Pricks before the final last year, but when Heath deliberately injured Taylor Smith just two minutes into that game, that dislike turned to hatred. There's something about Portland that turns players into unlikeable jackasses. Players like Heath and Horan do things while playing for the Pricks that they would never even think of doing when playing for the NT because they know they'd get their asses chewed out by the NT leaders.

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lackluster performance from the Royals. Better defensively in the second half, but offensively they were in neutral at best all game. Harvey is definitely not going to be pleased.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thanks, then, to everyone taking up the bandwidth here at Casa Ismitje!

22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Enjoyed the game except for the two little breakdowns that lead to goals for the pricks. Yea, I get the hate for them already.

URFC still struggles with creating offense and are just a bit on the slow side but what they lack in speed they definitely make up for with bite.

The Royals did make the game interesting after going down though. If not for a couple of good saves and one glorious miss near the end URFC had the look of a team working hard to get back in the game.

If only RSL had the same tenacity and bite they might only lose by 1 or 2 and not 5 or 6. Oh well.

Still think that URFC has a chance to make a run for the playoffs. I enjoy watching them immensely.

They also have the best uniforms of all of the RSL family with the Monarchs close behind and RSL just blah.

CoachJon and rslfanboy repped this.
  23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I hate the Portland fans sometimes. They were bitching about the Royals doing their postgame sprints right near the Riveters' section, acting like the players were purposely interrupting the Thorns' postgame celebrations.

rslfanboy repped this.
  24. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    God, I love how bent out of shape you are over the Portland Thorns! Now THAT'S entertainment!
    [​IMG]

Todorojo repped this.