Rowdies News and Updates

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by speedcake, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
  2. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
  3. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    That's understandable but they're separate matters. Edwards just wants what is his. Same thing with the Strikers suit. MLS will recognize this.

4. Stephen York

Stephen York Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    CFLRowdiesFan and brentgoulet repped this.
  5. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    This vote was certainly exciting and had you told me ten years ago that something like this would happen I wouldn't have believed it. People are very protective of the waterfront. The vote shows that Edwards did a great job communicating his stadium vision to the city, that the design is in line with what people want for the waterfront, and that the advertised price is right (foremost)!

I think the Rowdies are still a borderline bid. I don't think the proximity to Orlando is an issue because that should be a positive. There is a lot of misinformation out there about the TV aspect to that. I think the Rowdies should be concerned about the Beckham situation in Miami. Before you laugh hear me out. Consider the following:

- It has been three years and counting and the league is still exhibiting patience with the process there

- The city has land they're waiting to sell to complete the project. They're just waiting on Beckham

- The hold up seems to have been initial investors. Just this past week Beckham announced his first big money investor. That should move the process along now.

- Garber has chosen this year as the year to either make things happen or move on. Not coincidentally they are choosing new expansion sites this year. If the Board of Governors is unhappy with the ownership structure Beckham now has to present then I would think that bodes well for the Rowdies. However if they are happy then I would think the wheels will start moving again on Miami, which would be bad for the Rowdies. I don't think the league would be well served having three teams in Florida.

- Considering all the attention and excitement about #MLS2StPete and whatnot I'm surprised at the drop in attendance after the Orlando City B game. It is back to 2016 levels. I wonder what kind of message this sends.

Not trying to be positive or negative. Just trying to look at this through a clear lens.

Midfield General repped this.
  6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the league would be well served with five teams in California. Florida deserves three by comparison.

CFLRowdiesFan repped this.
  7. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    I agree with your remark about five California teams. That is a big leap of faith. I don’t know that market though so I’ll stop there. I’m open minded and I’d love to be convinced otherwise but I’ll elaborate on my reservations on three Florida teams.

There are lots of reasons why it would work. Florida has the population for three teams. There are three separate and distinct markets where it could work. The TV matters can be sorted out. Population is growing in Florida. But despite the rapid growth in the number of MLS team over the last decade there will come a time where they reach a cap and that number stops growing. For the league to reap the most benefit for the number of teams operating in MLS I would think that they would want to extract maximum value from all possible places. If the league has teams operating in Orlando and Miami then you could argue that is decent enough coverage to try and market those teams to the entire state. What if a third Florida team came at the expense of having a presence in Michigan or North Carolina? I’m just saying that there isn’t a definitive enough answer to that question that would make me think there isn’t cause for concern. Even if the numbers play out in Florida’s favor, MLS values the intangible aspects that the fan culture in the popular markets are providing. Regardless of which city’s application you’re speaking about that has to be something they are considering carefully behind the monetary reasons.

Selfishly I would love three Florida teams. It would make things a lot of fun and provide lots of matches all within driving distance to watch.

Midfield General repped this.
  8. CFLRowdiesFan

CFLRowdiesFan Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Agreed, but Sacramento is as sure of a bet as there is in the MLS expansion derby and San Diego is a market long coveted by the league. Combined with the new LA team, that would make five teams in California.

For the record, I don't think Tampa Bay's bid is contingent on what happens in Miami. Now that the stadium is approved it's more about the rest of the package, including Bill Edwards.

9. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuzz/rick-baker-files-for-mayor-of-st-pete/2323132

Interesting news today. Baker has been a part of the application process throughout. Mayor Kriseman has not. Kriseman has affixed his face on the Tropicana Field redevelopment proposal for baseball. These two projects have nothing to do with each other but it does seem interesting that each candidate has personal interest in what could be perceived as competing projects.

10. Duke Kickass

Duke Kickass Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Pinellas County, FLA
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @tampabayrowdies: Our @opencup journey starts on Tuesday night against the @ArmadaFCU23 at Al Lang. Call (727) 308-5203 tomorrow (Monday) to get FREE...

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/news_article/show/884809?referrer_id=2909153

Rowdies’ 2018 preseason opener only two days away.
    The Rowdies will take on FC Cincinnati at 3:30 on Saturday afternoon at IMG Academy in their first outing of the year. For the 13 returning players on the roster, this preseason has felt like none before. For the 10 new members of the team, the excitement and sense of belonging is growing quickly.

G Enriquez repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kenntomasch repped this.
  14. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "In order to be in MLS it takes an ownership group, so all we're doing is trying to put together an ownership group," Edwards said. "There's been a high degree of interest from people who want to be part of the ownership group. I would still be involved no matter what league we are in. I'm not running away at all." Hoping Jeff Vinik is interested. He would be a great owner to partner with. He has turned TB Lightning into a top notch hockey club that sells out every week.

kenntomasch repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha...just walking...not running

16. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS was never happening with Edwards alone. That is the most glaring hole in our bid. Hopefully he's right in that there's plenty of suitors. Definitely hoping for Vinik but he might have his hands full with Channelside. Might the Glazers have an interest as a response to City and NYCFC?

17. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Glazers would be great addition to the group as well, but just depends on how much they value the game here versus their stake in Man U. Ideal situation would the get both Vinik and Glazers on board. That would surely open MLS's eyes.

18. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best thing that could happen is Vinik buy the team outright. Fcuk the Glazers and MLS is never having an owner like Bill Edwards in the league. No chance Rowdies get in until he's gone.

19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't decided on getting 2018 Rowdies season tickets yet? Let our players help you make the easy choice!
    [​IMG]
    Make sure to call 727-222-2000 between 8-9pm tonight and they'll be on the phone taking your calls.

20. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    976224564593111040 is not a valid tweet id

22. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    G Enriquez repped this.
  23. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    THE Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Al Lang
    #RowdiesFamily #TheBest #COYR

G Enriquez repped this.
  24. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the new kits!

25. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many teams around the world, can say they play in a great location like the Rowdies do? Not many.