rough Timbers expansion mock/starting 11

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is good. I don't think we need a DP.

If we can just add some vet's mixed in with some youth....just some good solid players....then maybe find some loans such as Montero (Seattle) or the 3 Brazilians (Galaxy). I think we could have a solid team.

It is all about getting in quality players.

2. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Timbers Army would collectively crap themselves if Montero were ever signed... Not in the good way (figuratively), but in the bad way (literally). Now the Brazilians, yes, though inter-MLS loan deals... I can't think of any. We could get some great loans out of Colombia or Argentina though, that's common, seems as though half of RSL's squad was acquired this way.

3. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland's a beautiful city. I see no reason why being that we're Portland we wouldn't be able to attract top talent.

Regardless, I don't see us delving into the DP pool for at least a couple seasons. We simply aren't the kind of team that has billionaire owners to splash money whenever they get a soccer whimsy.

In a couple years we'll probably get an Alvaro Fernandez/Nkufo level DP.

4. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we will get a dp with it merrits its! :p

5. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I didn't mean for Portland to get Montero or the 3 Brazilians.
    What I mean't is it would be great if we could get similar loans; as to what Seattle or LA made.

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, those are fairly common, it's how RSL ended up with Espindola, Olave and Morales.

7. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a RSL fan, I am prepared to have two players selected from our team. But I don't see how RSL will lose three players to Portland. Remember that Nimo is just on loan to the Timbers from RSL.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright its been some time since ive done version 1.0, now that the seasons closed out and Portland's made some moves, time for 2.0

----------------Cronin--------------

-------Brunner----------Davies------
    Beltran----------------------Wallace

---------------Jewsbury--------------
    Carr--------Ampaipitakwong------Pore

----------other EJ-----Dike-----------

Portland just locked up their keeper again, and stacked up their forwards and locked up the USL MVP, thats some good offseason movement. I do think that Portland is gonna use the expansion draft to stack up heavily on defense, and theyll get some good stuff here, i didnt change that too much.

Jewsbury is a solid MLS veteran and will provide some sense of leadership in the middle of the park. Amp as of now is the undisputed #2 overall pick in the Superdraft, and hes gonna have to step up and be counted. I think he will be a fan favorite.

9. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's all that is put out there, we're going to get dog ********ed.

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    He is? If that's the case, DC will happily grab either Arnoux, Valentin, or Nagbe. I can't imagine MLS doesn't try to raid Akron in 2011 like they did Maryland and Wake Forest in 2009.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really dont think so. Columbus are going to be FURIOUS for losing Brunner, who they see as another Chad Marshall. Davies was the U-20 captain of the US national team for some time, and the only reason he doesnt get PT is because Dallas has arguably the best defense in the league. thats just as good a central tandem as you can get. RSL know theyre gonna lose Beltran, another good young player. Wallace it could go either way but i like him at least at MLS talent.

Amp is MLS ready and everything you look for in a middle of the field player right out of college. And to be honest Jewsbury is very underrated as a player. his MLS experience is going to be very handy and will serve as a calming presence for the rookie. Carr is blazing quick on the right side too.

And you already know what you get with Dike and EJ.

That said, this is without even getting into any overseas signings that could happen. you should be fine

12. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just say, I'm hesitant to believe any forward coming from USL will be successful in MLS after so many have failed or been dreadfully average. We'll see.

13. Zacalie

Zacalie Member

May 14, 2010
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree; I actually think that out of their fullbacks, RSL will expose Robbie Russell (definitely) and Chris Wingert (maybe). Also, with the way he came on towards the end of the season in CCL play and the playoffs, don't necessarily expect to see Collen Warner exposed either.

You can have Nimo, though. ;)

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its either gonna be Wingert or Beltran. I cant see RSL protecting both of them. Which ever one is exposed, thats the one that gets picked up, because itll be by default the best outside back available in the expansion draft

15. canyonvue

canyonvue Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I would prefer RSL protect Beltran. They've exposed Wingert and Russell before, so why not once again?

16. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already is here, so uh, no need to take him. :D

No, but really, I don't want to lose Jack. He's been here for a while and is a local.

But I've already accepted that we are going to lose him. I'm pretty convinced he's not going to be protected. He's a great guy, but I don't see him making the 11. He'd be a good pick up for you guys.

If he doesn't start, he's a good, versatile guy to have on the bench.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well.. Figured out who Portland is going after from RSL, or at least, who RSL is hoping Portland will take.. Nimo mysteriously graduated from Generation Adidas today..

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/generation-adidas-players-graduate-seasons-end

If he had remained GA, he would have been automatically protected and considering Nimo has zero minutes with RSL this season (or any season), normally he wouldn't have graduated.

18. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nimo had 0 minutes with RSL this season because he was on loan to the Portland Timbers for the entirety of the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

I agree with your point, however.

19. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is hard to tell if they will take Nimo. He didn't consistently play in the latter end of this season. However, you could say they already knew his what he could produce. But that doesn't explain why another young upstart in Alhassan got to play in the playoffs ahead of Nimo. If Nimo is that good why did he not get minutes in a competitive situation? Ergo, Nimo's chances are only possible if Portland now wants to continue developing him. He's not ready for the big time.

Expansion draftee? He'd be #8-10 in the selection. Certainly not a must-have pick.

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was why I posted the comment. Players with 0 minutes with the senior squad don't graduate from GA, they generally just get cut. GA offered Nimo some level of protection since he didn't eat up a senior roster spot and his salary didn't count against the cap. Additionally, Nimo would have had to agree to graduate and unless he has sucker tattooed to his forehead the only way I see him agreeing to graduate is if RSL and Portland made some sort of wink/nod agreement.

21. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alhassan is a better and young (?) version of nimo....

22. Baracuda

Baracuda Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Portland Oregon
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be shocked if the Timbers waste an outright expansion pick on Nimo.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah im not chalking that up, theyd go for a more scarce position, outside backs are very hard to come by in the league. RSL is losing Beltran or Wingert, and i think Portland is the one that snaps them up.

24. OMGSSFC

OMGSSFC New Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    via SBI on twitter:

Red Bulls deal Jeremy Hall to Portland for 3rd round pick. NY will regret that deal.

25. gabola71

gabola71 Member

May 31, 2001
    Texas
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    That is a really good deal for your team. Congrats