rough Timbers expansion mock/starting 11

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Aug 22, 2010.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    alright guys be gentle, i went with this knowing what two or three MLS starters you may already have on your squad, guestimates on the MLS Superdraft 2011, and for the MLS expansion draft players i feel clubs will leave exposed for one reason or another. And i also did one on Vancouver on a Best Player available draw down from 1 to 20 on players that would be picked. I follow MLS pretty closely, and i think most people from each respective club could *at least* see a scenario where the singled out players are exposed.

Draft
    Omar Salgado (1st/2nd overall pick)

expansion draft

I understand you guys are happy with your goalkeeper situation so no need to add there.

Ring (San Jose): as a San Jose fan, ill get the stinger out of the way. This ones gonna sting us and we are gonna be pissed about it. But with our DP he is unfortunately surplus requirements with Hernendez and Cronin being able to hold up that spot defensive midfield spot. Good young player that can be that disruptive destroyer. I was thinking about going with Ned Grabavoy here but Ring is younger, cheaper, and with more upside and i think Spencer will recognize that.

Bruner (Columbus): massive central defender who Columbus fans rate quite highly and a great foundation to build a defense around.

Cochrane (Houston): Portland local and surely a Spencer favorite, he will bring the hometown guy as experience for the backline

Warner (RSL): Portland local that was taken in the draft last year but RSL is too deep for him to get a chance. The Portland roots will be taken note of and i think your management will snap him up.

Wallace (Colorado): young former U-20 MLS player that cant seem to buy any time with his club. hes an MLS calibur left back, thats all you need to know. With left back in an expansion draft, you smile and nod and be happy with it.

Beltran (RSL): again a young MLS right back who isnt getting a chance because their squad has a solid back line, you guys can give Beltran the PT he wants.

Evans (Seattle): I know i know "UNCLEAN....UNCLEAN!!!"
    , odds are still quite high you guys will be taking a Seattle player im pretty sure of it.

Jewsbury (KC): he commands a higher salary, 130,000....but you guys need a leader with experience. Jack can provide that in the middle of the park.

Weaver (Houston): Honestly theres a darn good chance in him upending Dike in the starting 11, Spencer is gonna take his big power forward from houston back to Portland with him.

Carr (Chicago): Gives you a bit more options in the midfield.

-----------------Cronin------------------

-----------Brunner-----Cochrane----------
    Beltran----------------------------Wallace

-------------------Ring-------------------
    Nimo------------Jewsbury-----------Warner

-----------Salgado------Dike--------------

soooo......howd i do :eek: , would love to see if other people have their own.

2. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we pick up some other players outside of the drafts or USL acquisition. We also have Alhassan and Muhamadu on the squad who could stick around. we'll See how they do over the last 7 matches this season.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carr would be a good pick up.

or Banner

4. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be very surprised if we didn't bring Ryan Pore with us. He scored 10 goals with 2 assists last season and this season he has 13 with 3 assists. He's only 26 (maybe 27) so he's got some years left in him.

Aside from Cronin I'd say he's our most valuable player at the moment.

Plus he's somewhat of a fan favorite, especially since Suzuki definitely won't be continuing on over.

Also keep in mind that since we are a USL team we aren't going to be like Philly where our team consists of entirely new players. I'd expect quite a few players to carry over and, at least, get reserve spots.

5. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see us draft someone from the Galaxy; say Berhalter or Kovalenko. Berhalter would be a great vet to have in the back to help with our defense; he did wonders down in LA.
    Dema would be great in that guess is all hustle and goes at everything hard; it isn't pretty but he getst the job done

6. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Pore should make the move with us.

It would be great if we could get Alan Gordon back; can you imagine him grabbing the chain saw again? that would be great. Though with Gordon being traded to Chivas; my guess is Chivas will protect him

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was very much flirting with that idea. Gordon could be protected, he could be exposed, that one is another that could go either way.

8. DemonJuice

DemonJuice Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Aug 21, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how the player acquisition selections went this afternoon:

1. MLS SuperDraft: #1 Vancouver; #2 Portland

2. Expansion Draft: #1 Portland; #2 Vancouver

3. Allocation Ranking: #1 Vancouver; #2 Portland

4. Designated Player Ranking: #1 Portland, #2 Vancouver

5. USL Player Priority: #1 Vancouver, #2 Portland

6. Discovery Ranking: #17 Portland, #18 Vancouver

7. Waiver/Re-Entry Draft: #17 Vancouver, #18 Portland

8. Lottery Ranking: #17 Portland, #18 Vancouver

9. BacteriaEP

BacteriaEP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. I totally figured Vancouver would have taken the Expansion draft first since they aren't eligible to take Omar Salgado anymore. Wonder who they're after...

10. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon gets paid too much for what he contributes, in my opinion. I want a good squad, not one with a bunch of locals for former D2 Timbers.

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This squad would get pulverized in Major League Soccer. We're going to have to get some players from elsewhere.

Also, I agree with BacteriaEP that Ryan Pore will have a role with the team, either as a starter or a top sub.

12. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taka is also a scout....I am sure he will make the jump

Danso has been playing rather well too...

13. DemonJuice

DemonJuice Member

Portland Timbers
    United States
    Aug 21, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can take him, they just can't play him until he's 18, which would be September. There's also still the possibility of a FIFA exemption. Plus, he has trade value either way.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Futty stays on, is gold.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Timbers are relying on the expansion draft and players you're bringing up from USL to fill your starting line-up, you're going to get pummeled regardless of who you take. You're going to need to get some quality internationals from outside the league during the offseason, similar to what the Sounders did with Hurtado, Montero, and, to a lesser extent, Ljungberg when they were "promoted".

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats pretty much dead on.

I should have just made it a mock expansion draft. the starting 11 was a bad idea, try and just ignore that part lol. Hopefully you get some key 5 or 6 key pieces to the puzzle though

17. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    absolutely right-- putting salgado's name on the starting 11 is just a start of nonsense-- he is only 16-17 years old and not a becks type of star player at that age-- as yet anyways-- and the vancouver caps will take him if they they think he is worth the # 1 pick

building your team around other draft players not deemed to be starters by other clubs will not happen- portland management r too smart for that disaster decision

i expect the portland team to be very competitive their first year, much like the caps will be-- they will model off of seattle's successful first year and bring in 2-3 DPs and other experienced players from MLS, a few players from their present squad and a few promising youngsters

18. savier

savier Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Agreed. Danso and demerit center back pairing.

I think dike would be best as an impact player coming off the bench next season.

I also firmly believe joy will still be starting, as our captain for better or worse.

19. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle only had 1 DP it's first year and he did not work out so well for the most part.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He worked out the first year. The second year is when things went sideways.

21. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about this from the perspective that Ljungberg is a DP and is getting DP money it seemed to me that Freddie Ljungberg contributions to the Sounders was pretty small in that regard. He never seemed to fit in and it reflected in the fact that the Seattle manager kept moving him around to find a place for him in the starting 11. Even in year one he was always bitching.

Maybe good for first year marketing but the on the field end results were pretty middle of the road.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ljungberg was not being moved around in the first year trying to find a spot for him, but rather because they were hoping he would be a better option than what they had in those spots. Ljungberg was brought in as a right winger and that is where he played the best for the Sounders. This whole "he didn't earn his paycheck" myth only started in the second season. The entire Sounders offense ran through Ljungberg in the first season. If he was having a bad game, the entire team was having a bad game. When he was on, the entire team was on. *shrug* He lead the Sounders in assists in 2009 and was a key part for why the Sounders made the playoffs last year.

As far as his complaining to the refs go.. Go watch an Arsenal game when he played, you'll see him doing the exact same thing. That's his playing style. A player isn't going to change how he plays the game just because he's the highest paid player on the team.

23. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted you have watched more Sounders matches than I so I will leave you with that.

I just hope that if the Timbers choose to grab a DP spot the return is better than 37 matches, a poor attitude and parting ways halfway through the second season.

24. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the thing.....is there a player out there that you would be willing to pay DP money to get? And that would come to Portland?

I really can't think of any at the moment. Unless someone can convince Zidane to come out of retirement :D

25. steven nevets

steven nevets Member

May 7, 1999
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard that adding a DP in year one is not a priority for the club.