Roster

Discussion in 'Western New York Flash' started by Eleanor, Dec 1, 2010.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    So the roster looks like this (so far) ?

Christine Sinclair
    Alex Morgan (will be #1 pick)
    Becky Edwards
    McCall Zerboni
    Beverly Goebel
    Kaley Fountain
    Brittany Bock
    Kandace Wilson
    Ali Riley
    Ashlyn Harris

Certainly not bad so far.
    They should sign Candace Chapman.
    Veronica Bouquete and Kelly Parker should be obtained as well.
    Tina DiMartino would be a good midfielder to pick up. She won't be on any national team, and she won't cost a ton of money. She brings much WPS playoff experience (two years).

2. Jim Bob Rhino

Jim Bob Rhino Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
  4. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I'm confused why Becky Edwards is included on the list in post #26 above. Did I miss something?

5. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Becky Edwards

Wishful thinking at this point. But she would be fan-tastic. Great team spirited player who contributes on and off the field.:cool:

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the current roster that we know about?

GK: Harris
    D: Riley, Wilson, Fountain (?), Bock (?)
    M: Zerboni, Goebel
    F: Sinclair

with Bock also able to play midfield & Fountain able to play further forward, too.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zerboni has stated on her FB page that's she's signed w/ WNY. And Jeff Kassouf reports that she's signed.

8. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Lets pick up the top three Chicago players and then we really will be on our way.

I am not convinced that Fountain should be in the back 4. She did not excel there when given the chance last season.

GO FLASH

9. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you picked up Engen, Boquete, and someone like Rapinoe or Masar you would be looking very good.

I am assuming they will sign Boquete. I'm hoping they sign Engen too.

10. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    The Flash have now signed two more FCGP alums in Candace Chapman and Brittany Cameron. Well soon have to start calling them WNYFcgp. :)

So they now have 3/4 of the Pride back four along with their backup keeper and target forward.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cameron is an interesting signing. I didn't really expect her to get a contract so soon. WNY is building a solid player base. Of course, they'll have to prove their worth on the field.

12. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Rumors

The Flash is supposedly considering a player from the Football Ferns (NZ's National team.)

13. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    Flash have signed Whitney Engen. Another wonderful signing.

14. Druid Squirrel

Dec 15, 2000
    A hollow tree
    The Engen signing completes a great back line: Riley-Engen-Chapman-Wilson. Compare to last season's FCGP back line of Riley-Buehler-Chapman-Wilson. Engen is admittedly not (yet) as proven as Buehler, but all early indications are good and she has a great upside. She probably comes significantly cheaper, too.

It's hard not to like what WNYF are doing as they put together a solid core without breaking the bank. With the front and back lines as well as the goalkeeper spot looking very strong, I'm looking forward to seeing who they bring in to play midfield and, more importantly, what the finished product looks like on the field.

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm officially a supporter.

16. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, Parker is still out there and Bouquete is now a free agent. For my money, putting those 2 in some form of midfield / forward combination with Sinclair and Morgan makes the Flash that much more potent. I'm hoping that we go after those 2 players - not only are they WPS caliber, but they also have familiarity with Coach Lines' system.

I can't wait until April! :D

Aaron

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You guys have now signed 2 of my favorite players in Brittany Bock and Whitney Engen. IMO, Engen was the most valuable player last season for the Red Stars. A consistent defender, very fast. She will track you down. Also watch how she always surveys the field. Even if she's tracking down a runner she is always aware of where her fellow defenders are. Great work ethic.

Brittany Bock, if she stays healthy will be an awesome defensive or offensive mid. She can play both.

18. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Formidable Five

Ashlyn

Kandace, Chappie, Whitney, Ali

Aaran is tipping his hand. He wants a Brazilian style of play with the wide-backs attacking, as Ali and Kandace did last year. Ali and Whitney played a season together for the W-League Champion Pali Blues so the defense should be ready to go in game 1.

The pieces of the puzzle are really beginning to fall into place.

If Marta really wants to have fun next season she should call Aaran right now!:cool:

19. DazzRef

DazzRef Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Buffalo NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you explained above is exactly the style that Coach Lines' employed with the W-League team. Now, getting the controlling midfield presence will be the key. The Flash already have fast forwards who can move quickly off the ball, so that's set. Now, if the midfield gets set, we're going to be in good shape! :D

Aaron

20. QUICK AS A FLASH

Dec 8, 2010
    Midfield

We need two energetic tough DMids. Players who never quit. Becky Edwards would be great if we can get her. She was an important part of the FCGP machine. Of course one true play maker would be good but they are rare birds. :cool:

21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    WOW

Christine Sinclair
    Alex Morgan
    Brittany Bock
    Whitney Engen
    Kandace Wilson
    Candace Chapman
    Ali Riley
    Ashlyn Harris

All on the same team.
    Sign Kelly Parker and Veronica Bouqete.
    Get a couple more midfielders to join, and this team is set to challenge for a WPS championship in year one as an expansion team.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caroline Seger traded from Philly to Flash for their second round picks in this years and next years draft.

This team has it almost all on paper so far..

23. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't argue with that move, at least not from WNY's standpoint. They didn't even have to give up one of their number one picks.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only question (well, there are a couple) is whether WNY is keeping decent control of the costs or are they over-spending on the roster. Are they setting themselves up to blow through the ca$h too quickly?

Another (lesser) question is to wonder just why Philly was willing to trade Seger for so little. She's going to miss a massive chunk of the season w/ the WWC.

What's the roster look like so far?

GK: Harris, Cameron
    D: Riley, Wilson, Fountain (?), Chapman, Engen
    M: Zerboni, Goebel, Seger, Bock (?)
    F: Sinclair

Add in Morgan as the first pick.