News: Roster for matches against Ireland and France

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USOutlaw16, May 29, 2018.

1. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I like all of these changes, except maybe bringing in Yarbrough. I don't think he's ever looked that good for the US and isn't really young anymore.

Zimmerman and Bono did well enough against Bolivia, but missed MLS games, so they're going back to their teams.

Pulisic is burned out, so he's going to get some rest.

Guido, Gooch, Horvath, and Olosunde might very well just not be good enough, at least at present.

WrmBrnr, FLSoccerGran and Winoman repped this.
  3. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    weird. i like every single departure and every single arrival (as long as Yarborough doesn't play).

4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    #4 keller4president, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Drops:

Why Was Lynden Gooch dropped? Perhaps because Sunderland got relegated and he needs to find a new club? A bit surprised by that one.

Guido had an injury per Steven Goff twitter.

Horvath - he didn't even make the gameday roster for Bolivia. Not sure why Steffen was brought in to replace him. Has Ethan fallen that fast?

Olosunde - Got 16 minutes against Bolivia, still only 20. Surprised that he was dropped.

Bono and Zimmerman - Back to their MLS clubs, rightfully so.

Pulisic - Needs his summer break.

Should have been dropped:

Corona - Has he shown anything in a USMNT jersey that makes him part of the team of the future? I don't think so.

Still bummed the following players won't be called in (age in brackets):

Theoson-Jordan Siebatcheu (22)
    Kyle Scott (20)
    Emerson Hyndman (22)
    Shane O'Neil (24)
    Desevio Payne (22)
    Mukwelle Akale (21)
    Jerome Kiesewetter (25)
    Jann George (25)
    Terrence Boyd (27)
    Haji Wright (20)
    Maki Tall (22)
    Romain Gall (23)

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Lineup v. Ireland:

-----------------------Hamid---------------------
    Yedlin-----Miazga----CCV-----Robinson
    ---------Adams--------McKennie--------
    Green---------------------------------Saief---
    ---------Wood------------Weah-----------

6. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Gooch was so far out of his element it was uncomfortable.

Agree with Olosunde. He is very raw. But young and seems like could use the experience. Needs first team minutes and France would be a lot to ask but he has something to him.

Corona- I'm fine with inclusion as he isn't awful as long as he doesn't take minutes away from Adams, Mck, Park, and co. He is not a good long term solution.

WrmBrnr and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why no Horvath? I mean, really? why call up Yarbrough?

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Sargent seemed to hold his own. But I'd prefer him as a sub. I hope Nova gets a start against France or Ireland.

Hopefully Wood can score in both games to get his confidence back.

9. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Why do you hope Nova gets a start? Just curious?

10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    21 goals in 37 professional games last season (I believe, or pretty close on both). He's a very similar player to Sargent, just more polished. Would like to see him get a chance.

Let's be honest- we all know what Wood brings to the table. He will play his heart out and, occasionally, he produces moments of brilliance. But he's not consistently good enough. I'd would also like to see Nova (based on age and experience, I thought he should have started over Josh in the last match, but I'm ok with giving Josh the game as long as Nova gets a start in the next two).

11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, for what it's worth, I mostly like the roster. Would rather keep Christian and drop Bobby (or Joe Corona). Rest is fine.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree Olosunde is young but he's not as far along as Reggie Cannon and is older. I'm sure the rest of you can compare him with other young MLS right backs. We all hopefully get a glance at Shaq Moore who is also about the same age and a right back. Good thing is most positions have a lot of young talent bubbling up so if you're shaky someone else will get a chance. No more permanent starters!

13. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    He plays on a bad team in the Dutch 2nd division. He was LOANED OUT BY READING! They finished 16th in the Championship! Sargent was picked up by Werder, or the 11th best team in arguably the top league in the world. I actually think he is NOTHING like Sargent. They are very different players. FWIW, I believe Nova will get the start and I think he will be in WAY over his head. He just simply isn't dynamic. He is a poor mans version of Johannson.

Question- if Nova is so good, who will pick him up this offseason? I have heard zero transfer rumors concerning Nova. Other than READING IS MONITORING his progress. He isn't good enough for READING and you are angry he isn't starting for our national team. Huh

keller4president repped this.
  14. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Man U affiliation just means something. Should it? It has to right! JM has spoken about him and he has suited before. Those things matter.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It matters before they get seen. Didn't help Kenny Cooper. Howard turned out ok but was older when he went.

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This is 50% of our best XI I think

-----------------------------Steffen-----------------------------------
    --------------CCV*-------------------------Miazga-------------------
    ----Yed-------------------------------------------------Robinson----
    ----------------------------Trapp*-----------------------------------------
    -----------------Wes---------------Adams*----------------------------
    ----Saief---------------------------------------------Green*-------------
    --------------------------Wood*--------------------------------------------

* Brooks over CCV, but I think CCV is probably our #3 CB
    * If williams were healthy, you could argue he's our #1 at pure DM
    * Would love to see an open battle among Adams, Bradley and Nagbe for this spot
    *I'm not sure who to put out wide. I have Green there, because Weah is 18 and not a 1st team player yet. I also don't see much in the way of competition from MLS
    * Not a fan of Wood, but with Jozy and Dom both injured, the only other player I can think to play here is Zardes.

keller4president repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a fan of the replacement list overall.

If we're going with a English CAM that's not yet emerged I'd prefer to have seen Hyndman over LDLT. Has shown his flashes on higher levels both for club and internationally. Then there's Rowe who could finally get a chance to test his skills against respected European sides.

Parker deserves a bit of a showcase in Europe, but I'd put Glad as the red ahead of him in that MLS CB pecking order, and I'd rather see him and Big Zim over CCV in these matches.

Trapp is meh. Don't think anything comes from this. Championship/Eredivisie opportunities at best. I'd rather see Roldan or Delgado. Roldan has really been slow-played and may already be stagnating in MLS.

I'm starting to worry about the slow-play of Lima too. Let's see what he's got. Moore is under-established, already in Europe, and haven't been overly impressed by what he's shown there so far.

Give Bono the look in Europe over Yarbrough. Yarbrough has peaked, it's a low peak, and has admitted his association with the United States is merely out of opportunity. I really think there's a Mexican-American ingratiation thing going on here in the wake of Jon Gone. Corona and Rubin started last match.

Other half of players I approve those decisions.

eainterplay repped this.
  18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its nice to see such a large pool of interesting 18-24 year olds to draw from and give exposure to.

Hopefully by the time matches matter again some of this pool will have clearly separated themselves from the pack.

sXeWesley, neems, Eighteen Alpha and 5 others repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Something different mostly. Plus he's earned at least 1 start during these friendlies. A 6'4 US striker is something I've only dreamed about

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Same here. I was hoping we'd keep Nova and Sargent the entire time and not call up any other attackers.

21. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highest finish in the league in 10+ years, made the semifinal of playoff promtion, so they arent a horrible team. But the level is way below big time. Even so, he flashes some real potential. He is deceptively quick, a good hold up player, has good link up play, and can score through various ways. He reminds me much more of a young McBride who needs some polish as opposed to AJ who is more suited underneath a ball holding striker.

Will he ever be great or reach his potential? I don't know, but I do know he is young and given game time has shown he puts the ball in the net at a high rate. Right now that means he should be given every chance in a meaningless 4 months of friendlies to show his skill as our striker pool is shallow. While at it, he may also draw more suitors at a club level.

wrench, Winoman and TxEx repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Delgado wasn't in 18 for last Toronto game and they said he was injured during practice. Not sure if that kept him out but we have a hole in midfield that needs something there to help Trapp. I think we see the defeats get tagged on Trapp in this series. Keaton is great as an outlet guy but his understanding of defensive positioning is a problem at this point. Target practice in basic is one thing, a fire fight in Fallujah is quite another. Wes is clumsy at the 6 and is likely to play the 8 where he is quite good except for transition passing which is a little weak. Unfortunately, Adams has the same problem. So, basically we see a Portugal type effort with lots of press/press, win ball followed by "what next, boss?". Luca Torre didn't get the ball much to Sargent with our youth teams. Corona is still there and has experience.

maybe
    --------------Saief---Sargent---Adams
    ----------Wes------EPB(Keaton)-----Trapp
    ------robinson---miazga---CCV----Yedlin
    ------------------------gk: Steffen

Put Keaton in for the 2nd half, move Trapp to 6. I'd like to see Trapp use some forward passing more anyway, in the FH, Use Wes as the 10. He has aggressive instincts off the ball and can play off Trapp's forward passing and Saief and Adams' touch line play

That's what I would do.

23. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's cheerios did Emerson Hyndman piss in?

neems repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    everyone knows he only got the PL appearance because it was Mother's Day :p

WrmBrnr repped this.
  25. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    The roster is not bad... Hopefully for the next friendlies down the road we'll keep seeing more attacking prospects get called in.Guys like:

Mueller, Baird, Gall, and Gyau! (He's regaining his form back and will be be with his new club in 2. Buli next season), Arriola (finding great form at DC United at a CAM spot), and Amon (injury prone but he is electric on the wing).

To complement guys like Weah, Rubin, Pulisic... We finally have some dynamic attacking mids to complement the surplus of center mids we have