Rossi: Valencia v Villarreal 8/26 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Reignking, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    um_chili, your post was fine -- it was the other people that felt the need to just rehash every point over and over again.

Wahoo, you'll need to keep a closer eye on this, then ;) It infuriates me that we have to go through this every time. In fact, this thread should be dead -- there's nothing left to talk about for this game. I fully intend to start a Villarreal/RM thread this weekend, too, if the game is on GolTV.

2. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Good question. I think he would be a much smaller burr in the American fur. It's the fact he's at relatively big clubs and somewhat successful -- something US soccer fans crave -- that's most off-putting.

If Rossi chose the US and played for Rennes or Motherwell he would certainly be in the US stable, along with Ching, Johnson, Twellman, etc. As you know, the US forward crew is extremely thin and has a terrible record in internationals.

If Rossi chose the US and played for Villareal he would be penned in for 2010, along with Altidore, Donovan and one or two others (Ching? Cooper? Adu? Etc.)

This analysis is perhaps even more maddening to US fans.

You're right, he's probably not one of the very best strikers out of that select group (though will, of course, end up with one of the CL last 32 clubs if he produces at Villareal). If he's not that great, if he's not going to be a top Italy striker, then it's even more maddening to reject the US, where he could be this generation's Wegerle, to become Italy's miniature Nate Jaqua.