Roseanne

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by msilverstein47, Apr 4, 2018.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't Be Fooled, 'Roseanne' Is Really TV's Most Anti-Trump Show

https://readersupportednews.org/opi...d-roseanne-is-really-tvs-most-anti-trump-show

Sitcoms have been struggling to survive lately, with most lasting about as long as a member of Trump’s cabinet. The reason is that they are often too safe, too familiar, recycling the same jokes, the same “wacky” situations. Roseanne stands out because it doesn’t hide from the harsh realities; it wrestles them to the ground with style, intelligence, and humor. The show lets the characters argue politics with the same goal stated by philosopher Karl Popper: “The aim of argument should not be victory, but progress.”

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can...not...stand...her...voice...

Boandlkramer repped this.
  4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have been watching it. I don’t normally watch regular tv I hate commercials they put me to sleep.

Yes, people living from pay check to pay check are too buzzy trying to survive then to talk politics.

So it is an act but people do want people to try and get along. Not to act like animals to each other the show at least try’s to do that.

Will it last, maybe if the show does not turn left. If it does and does not stay relatively in the middle it will go off the air.

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My favorite comedy shows were I love Lucy, the Honeymooners, everyone loves Ramon. No politics on any of them that I recall. I even loved Married with Children that was crazy funny in a weird way.

6. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Not to get too far off topic, but I guess I'm one of the few that just doesn't care for the I Love Lucy show. I liked everyone in the show but her. I thought everything she did or said was so predictable (though that may have been more the writers' fault than hers). I enjoy watching old re-runs, but I seldom stop to watch Lucy.

EDIT: Of course, that was back when there were only three tv stations; so if I'd been around when it originally aired, I'm sure I'd been right there watching it too.

7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I never liked it before. I didn’t care for Bret Butler’s Show, Grace under fire either. It was just unrelatable to me.

Not sure why she felt compelled to politicize her show by calling out Blue regions of the nation. That’s not how you encourage people to watch it.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The idea that "I Love Lucy" was completely devoid of politics is perceiving the show through a 2018 lens.

This piece might be helpful in that regard:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/26/lucille-ball-revolutionary_n_7138476.html

Auriaprottu, Boandlkramer and sitruc repped this.
  9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The producers loved Lucy but did not want Desi as the male lead. But she would not do the show without him as the lead.

I saw something I though was funny on an old Everybody loves Ramon the other day.

They both went away on a little vacation. Then they came home an left their suitcase on the stairs. Neither one of them wanted to take the suitcase up the stairs.

It stayed on the stairs for months.

Then Ray had to go some where for a short trip. Evidently he did not have a small travel bag to take on the plane with him. So he put the few clothes he had in a plastic Wal-Mart bag.

When I was a kid my father and mother used to go on trips to Florida with a friend of his and his wife. His friend was afraid if he left with a suitcase he though someone would see it. Know he was going away and rob his apartment. So he would put his clothes in a garbage back so people would not go he was going away for a week. True story.

Ismitje and Len repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of the best episodes ever in the history of comedy

11. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Roseanne is funny. The show reminds me of my family. Snarky, sarcastic, ball-busting. Close ranks when one of us is threatened.

That's why I watch.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Len - best I Love Lucy moment is here, starting at 1:45:

luftmensch, Dyvel and Belgian guy repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team: