Rubio Rubin at Dorados de Sinaloa

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by autobus39, Jul 1, 2013.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid never regained his form after his injury.

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There it is: he's joined Stabæk.
    http://www.stabak.no/nyheter/welcome-to-stabaek-rubio-rubin
    Translated:
    American Rubio Rubin - Amazing Name! - has signed a contract with Stabæk Football in the season 2017. Initially.

The offensive player who last played for Danish Silkeborg IF is happy, grateful and, not least, very motivated for the tasks that await him in the autumn.

Will give it all
    "I have a really good feeling now and would like to thank Stabæk for daring to take a chance on me. I'm really looking forward to giving everything I have for the blaze suit and am just happy to be here, Rubio Rubin says.

He tells him that he is a serious and hard-working football player who will provide everything for the team both in moderation and adversity.

"I am an offensive player focused on attacking and with a strong competition instinct, and of course I hope to contribute to many victories with goals and assists.

The American Dream
    Rubin is born and raised in the United States, but the parents are native to Mexico.

"I am raised in a very Spanish family, and am both happy and proud of my family background. Mom and dad went for the American dream, and I have benefited from their courage and great work effort.

"Now I'm very motivated to work hard on training and it seems so inspiring that I'm going to be part of a group of so many young and talented players.

Sports director Inge André Olsen says Rubin is an offensive player.

- He can play in multiple positions - tip, edge, number 10. We have lost a point (Nimely) and Moussa is injured to fit a young talented player. Rubin fell a little after a coach change in Utrecht, and we are not quite unfamiliar with getting new Stabæk players that way, says Olsen and Gliser.

The sports manager also tells us that the contract is currently valid for the season, and if Rubin thrives at us and we are pleased, Stabæk will of course look at opportunities further.

When Rubio Rubin becomes playable, it is currently uncertain, more paperwork is required for players coming from outside the EU.

3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Denmark is
    I don't get this part. He's been playing in Europe for a few years now.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it means a non-EU player (ie citizenship).

The Irish Rover and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    May just need additional verifications etc. For other work it can be way easier, from a paperwork standpoint, to walk into a gig with EU citizenship than not, even if you are going to get the ok. Just additional bureaucracy if he doesn't have EU citizenship.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Great news. It's not the Eredivisie, but it's still a good enough level to give him a base to move forward from, if he can regain his pre-operation abilities.

And if he doesn't, maybe a position change could give him a longish career at this level. He'll make a half-decent living in Norway.

There are worse fates in life for football players. There are worse fates for anyone.

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Sunday, Aug 20, he made his Stabaek debut as a sub in a win over Molde. Next match is Sept 10.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  9. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Send up the bat signal. I say keep the thread name just change the team name: roo-bee-oh lost boy at Stabaek: Rubio Rubin

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entered today in the 58th:
    909104753036136448 is not a valid tweet id

And, yes, that's Indonesian.

11. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have scripts to track all these guys during games on twitter? how did you find this indonesian account??

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just did a basic Twitter search. I usually just follow the teams and only search when I miss something on the first go round.

13. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Per ESPN FC, Rubin made an appearance in the 90th minute during Stabaek's 4-2 win over Valerenga.

Pl@ymaker and Starman* repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's played 91 minutes in 5 games so far, all off the bench.

Currently on the bench as Stabaek take on Rosenborg.

15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played about 15 minutes in a 0-0 draw.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kid needs to come home.

Pl@ymaker and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  17. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Yay for being subject to the allocation order. Too bad he's not a Colombian youth international. Or Honduran. Or anything other than American, then he could sign with whomever he wants in MLS!

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To retire?

If he can't hack it in the Norwegian D1 or for the weakest team in the Danish D1 , he's hardly going to be good enough for 2018's MLS.

Whatever the reasons, he's no longer the player who was breaking through at Utrecht, and next season's MLS imports are going to be of that standard.

19. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should he come home?

Surely the Norwegian first division is a significantly higher level than the NASL or USL.

An MLS club might take a flyer on him for squad depth but I imagine his prospects of meaningful playing time are greater in Norway.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not in D1 I'm afraid.

Available for 11 league and cup games since moving to Norway, he's made 7 appearances for 119 minutes (17' on average) with zero goals or assists. Three of those appearances were complete garbage (one minute each) and he's only gone more than 20' twice. All this for a team that's marooned in mid-table and so would be expected to be willing to shake things up a bit.

He was only signed until the end of the Norwegian season, so he's playing for a contact extension. On these numbers he's unlikely to get it.

21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Transfermarkt, Rubin is out of contract at the end of 2017.

He began 2017 at Utrecht and moved on a short-term deal to Silkeborg. In June, they let him walk. Given his sporadic playing time and short-term deal at Stabæk, odds are that they'll do the same.

Having worked his way down the European food chain, a move to the US might be in the cards. If I were the GM of an MLS club with a USL team, I'd consider giving his agent a call.

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland maybe?

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    what a depressing thread. iirc great prospect -> about to breakthrough -> getting minutes -> petrified in front of goal -> injured -> spiraling to lower leagues?

Alexisonfire and HartwickFan repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because then there'd be a discovery claim.

MLS has been very successful in preventing teams from bidding against each other. Whether or not you think that's a good idea is based on what you think is important.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Norway begun their winter break? If so, Rubin is effectively out of contract. He played 7 times for 109 minutes.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.