Ronnie O'Brien?

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by drace768, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Badattitude has a red dot under his name for a reason. He's posted nothing but idiotic dribble everywhere I've seen his name on these boards.

As for Ronnie O'Brien, He's a player who could probably help Ireland, but apparently he's not wanted. So be it. As for whoever said he has a better outside shot than the other options, I think Andy Reid has the best shot of any of them, but his workrate and pace are suspect to say the least.

2. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    You know why he's workrate is suspect? BECAUSE he comes from a subpar/nothing special league....

Nevermind why I have a RedDot...

As for me knowing about the LOI, I do know it..my cousins both played in it.

3. MickeyMoney

MickeyMoney Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Northeast Ohio

I simply love when an MLS fan has lost his marbles cuz he seen one decent cross...What are you smoking dude no The Revs FC Dallas or even the LA Galaxy will not when a home and away with West Brom or West Ham and they might get smashed by an inform Sheffield United and or Wednesday.Now Listen I'm an American and I love soccer and the MLS but you guys need to stop with these Chris Klein retreads and think they're world class players cuz they score in front of the wife and kids and some nerd watching poor quality streams over the internet in his draws which are soiled and now KC Wizards is the best team in the world.Drop the pain killers Wooly breathe and lest be real your "Shells" are in the CL every year and play tough games against good teams like Deportivo La Courna while the champs of the league you were screaming is so much better barely beat part timers from Jamica(which had to be kitted by DC United that's how part time they were) and gave the league a black eye by not getting on the plane to Mexico(well they should stayed on it) with there strong best attackers in MLS history performance to a side that couldn't make the Mexican Playoffs and don't everybody makes the Mexican Playoffs?Take the needles out of your arms Jackson how dare you compare solid professionals like John 'O Shea Phil Gary and Tito Neivlle to like of David Stokes Danny O'Rourke who is garbage by the way all you MLSer that are going nuts cuz Waldo said his name and Joe Smo went to college for four years to really find out I suck as footballer American player in the best league this side of the Rio Grande.Stop sipping the Kool Aid Pottsy MLS is growing and there are some very good players in the league like Ronnie O'Brien(full circle)but there are some bums out there and some bum teams and the soild professoinal sides like the three I just mention at the top are just that won't make fool of themselves( oops they just might ask DC about that one)but they ain't blowing nobody out of the water O-tay.So BA are we good and err.. you can hit the joint now!

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Andy Ried is a wonderful player, brilliant with the ball at his feet don't be fooled by his portly figure. Once he get's to Premiership pace you will see a real talent.

5. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Hate to tell you, but that site is not run by the FAI or the Sports Information Bureau (Anybody ever heard of them? You made that up, didn't you - go on tell the truth, you don't have a clue, right?)

But what I did like from that site was this sentence:
    I know absolutely zero, zilch, less than nothing about Irish soccer.

So, at the very least, he knows more than you, then?

6. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    I would say that the MLS wouldnt be all that bad, it has produced a few class players (beasley, agoo, etc) over the last few years
    and I would agree that the LOI is complete shite, most people, even in Ireland, would agree with you there, maybe Shels excepted
    our Uefa co efficient would show that, up there with the likes of malta and estonia
    but "Ireland too poor of a country"!!! must be one of the plastic paddies here, some of the LOI players are well paid, and can get more than an average championship team, bohs, drogheda, shels, cork city are all full time, and probably a few other teams will go that way soon
    that quote about the 150 euro a game thing, thats probably the leinster league, actually i bet it is
    my brother (17) used to get50 euros for sitting on the bench for mullingar!!! a team in the 4 tier of the leinster league, not bad

7. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Yo , I was born in Ireland, I know what the country consists of. Are you going to tell me that Ireland is a wealthy country? Jeez, it wasn't o long ago, about 1990 that Ireland was as poor as it got in Europe.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Yeah, I remember what a luxurgy it was to go on holidays to Albania..........
    (Sheer, bloody luxurgy.)

9. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales

yes ireland is a wealthy country
    jeez fourth best GDP in the world cant be that poor
    fcuking hell mate, i know you said in a previous post you were born here but when was the last time you were "home"?

10. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think home for badattitude has padded cells and locked doors and, he never want's to go back. :cool:

11. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    All on borrowed EU money... ..and Dell.

12. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    as oppossed to sucking up to the Japanese and Chinese via stocks
    or the arabs for their oil

Americans dont borrow? thats a new one on me

13. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This thread is becoming a bit of a stretch... but there's some really funny stuff so I'll give it another chance.

No personal attacks.

14. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We don't borrower we steal. :cool:

15. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Most people in Irelands knowledge of the LOI would be up there with badattitudes. Shels aren't even top of the league.

16. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I think Ronnie is good enough to make the Irish squad but probably not good enough for the starting lineup. Ronnie was very highly rated at the Youth levels and I remember when people thought he'd be the first of the youths to break into the senior squad. He was also good enough to get signed by Juventus although unfortunately that didn't work out for him. He has been a bit unlucky with injuries too. I'd say Kerr should at least give him a try in a friendly.

As far as the Shels/MLS thing I would think that most MLS teams would beat Shels most days, although I admit I haven't seen Shels play too often lately.

17. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    i only bring this up because i was playing football manager 2007 and ronnie obrien got american citzenship which really shocked me because i though for sure he would of gotten irish caps but i was just reading how he doesnt want to play for ireland so in the game he had no caps. i was wondering if there was anyway that ronnie o'brien could play for the usa in real life, obviously would of been better for the world cup since we were a bit thin a rm but still he's good onr of the best in MLS and would really add something.

18. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This is why I don't read posts by USA/MLS fans

19. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    why??

20. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    times are a changin..yuz need to git home more:D

21. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Man, it was painful trying to read some of this - yet, given the kind of exposure that Ronnie had in Toronto last year, and seems set to have in San José (he's gone to play for the re-franchised 'Quakes this season) it would be interesting to note if the new ROI management, which has had at least some exposure recently to MLS (apparently Trapattoni was present for at least one of the games between RBNY and RB Salzburg recently) might be more willing to cinsider giving Ronnie a shot.

However, he was injured a lot last season while with Toronto FC, and he might not be as match-fit for the Earthquakes this season as their fans might like, so that could be a factor against any potential Ireland call-up - assuming he would be willing to take one if offered, that is.

22. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Do you think he deserves a shot over fringe players in the CCC like Rowlands, Lawrence, Garvan, McCann, Hoolahan, Devaney, Tabb, Norris, etc. etc. etc.? I'm doing my best not to be MLS critical, just wondering if you really think he is better or more deserving than them.

23. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I said consider him, not necessarily select him - I'm not in a position to say that he's a better choice than the players you mention (not least since I haven't seen them play) - but I just wonder if it is really fair to simply dismiss him out of hand, because he plays in MLS.

That said, it is a shame that he's not in a team with some significant international competition lined up (unless you count the trips to Toronto in the regular season as 'international' games!) - D.C. United and Houston Dynamo both have a number of CONCACAF-wide tournaments they are, or will be, involved in this year, and Ronnie could have had a better chance to prove himself were he in a side taking part in at least one of them.

(Ironically, had he stayed in Toronto, he could have helped TFC qualify this summer as Canada's representative for the upcoming 08-09 CONCACAF Champions' League, and given himself just such an opportunity... but then, if he can help the 'Quakes finish high enough in the regular season, they will qualify for berths in tournaments held in 2009.)

24. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think Ronnie's chance with Ireland has come and gone. I thought he should have been selected for a friendly a couple of years ago by Kerr or Stan as he certainly had a few great seasons for Dallas in 2004 & 2005. But at 29, it is a bit too late for him.

25. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    No or the guys at Dundee Utd...no not at all..